PDA

View Full Version : 737 Endorsement???

s/e cessna
26th Oct 2004, 05:19
What I'm after is some factual info (inside info, if anyone out there actually knows) regarding VB. I'm seriously considering the prospect of obtaining a 73 endorsement but before i do, it would be nice to know whether or not having the endorsement improves ones likelyhood of getting an interview, or is it simply one of those things (you go get it when you get the nod)?

Thanks in advance to those with helpful advice! :ok:

Capt Claret
26th Oct 2004, 07:04
s/e cessna

Third hand info....

Friends who became born again two years ago have said that Virgin prefer to have you do the endorsement after they've offered you the job, rather than forking out and still missing out.

Dookie on Drums
26th Oct 2004, 11:06
Capt Claret is correct.

No point in wasting money on the endorsement if you haven't been given the nod!
:)

Captain Efis
27th Oct 2004, 08:53
Different people have different views. But it seems that having a Type Rating gives you a certain edge over other candidates.

Hudson
28th Oct 2004, 12:09
Captain EFIS is right. On the other hand I have known of pilots who have bought the 737 type rating in order to increase their chances of employment, being rubbished by GA employers who are jealous of the type rating and missing out on GA jobs as a form of spiteful reaction. It is a lot of money to spend just in hope, but there is no doubt that some pilots who took the financial risk, managed to score a 737 job, albeit months or even a couple of years later. Job opportunities in Virgin depend largely on the "mates" system - that is you have to have friends in high places to vouch for you.

If you have the spare cash it might be worth looking further afield such as SE Asia and decide whether perhaps an A320 rating might provide a better chance of getting a jet job. Austra;ia is basically stuffed as far as big jet first officer jobs are concerned and that will never change. Too many pilots as always for too few slots. Asia is booming with jet jobs although you may great difficulty in cracking the racial barrier.

Naturally Asians prefer to hire their own countrymen and who can blame them for that? Happens in Australia, too. You need to study the form and see which jet type will offer the better opportunities in the long term - Airbus or Boeing. Either way the financial burden is crippling and be prepared for disappointment. On the other hand you could crack the Asian market at the right time... But it is no good applying from Australia - you have to pack a bag and get going to find a job.