PDA

View Full Version : CPL/ATPL courses at Bankstown

BastardsInc504
25th Oct 2004, 00:02
Dear all,

I'm looking to draw on your wisdom and knowledge to get some good advice. (good start eh?)

I'm moving from Brisbane to Sydney at the end of this year and I'm going to enroll in a full-time CPL/ATPL course at a flying school probably at Bankstown.

I've had a look around at the websites and can read what each school has to offer but I want to know from people who've actually done these courses rather than the personal experiences that appear on some of these sites similar to "Hi, my name's Marvin. Two years ago I was a checkout operator, now I fly 747's for Qantas - all thanks to the training I received at Schmuck Aviation". (Not that this actually appeared on any of them, but I pay it as much credence as what does appear)

Anyway, I'm looking for the school with the best training, the best value for money and a good name in the industry. It's a LOT of money to spend and I don't want to flush the monitary equivalent of a brand new XR6 Turbo down the loo.

Any advice is highly sought after.

See Ya :D

swoz
25th Oct 2004, 18:10
you can send me a pm for more infos. otherwise i'd say, go for a smaller outfit, visit all schools in bankstown before you make any decision and dont neglect to go to camden as well.

Gateway Customer
26th Oct 2004, 06:35
when your ready to start your ATPL's go see Nathan Higgins in Maroochydore, Advanced Flight Theory.

The only place to go for ATPL's

good luck

Dookie on Drums
26th Oct 2004, 11:12
Eons ago I did my ATPL at UNSW at YSBK under the guidance of Len Sales. I found it absolutely brilliant and was successful along with a few others.

I can't vouch for the others but I had no complaints.

PS: Is Len still teaching or has he hung up the " hoodly hoodlys", "kooshkooshkas" and watchamacallits"????:E

Anyone?:)

aero979
26th Oct 2004, 23:04
i heard that he was finishing up at the end of this year, though ads are appearing for courses with him through 2005...

Tinstaafl
27th Oct 2004, 02:07
Len Sales is very good. Did my CPL nav. with him 20 years ago at Sydney TAFE on Broadway (ie Central Station) when I was doing my CPL subjects at the TAFE.

Sydney TAFE were still very good years later when I did a couple of ATPL subjects. Unless things have changed I'd still recommend the TAFE for cost & thorough grounding. Their courses always used to be a week or so longer than equivalent private school courses and a fraction of the cost.

If you choose Len Sales you've made a good choice too.

Transition Layer
27th Oct 2004, 06:04
Is Len still teaching or has he hung up the " hoodly hoodlys", "kooshkooshkas" and watchamacallits"????

Len is still kicking along, including walking 10ks every morning, although there seems to be a few more "watchmacallits" appearing each day.

Absolute legend and a bloody good teacher. He got me through all 7 first go so that says something!

TL :ok:

Dookie on Drums
27th Oct 2004, 09:40
Absolute legend and a bloody good teacher. He got me through all 7 first go so that says something!

Hear hear TL!!

Got me through all 7 first go too:ok:

I don't know if he still does it but when I was there he arranged a visit to the QF Jet Base towards the end of our course. What better way to motivate you than by throwing you in a 744 Sim for 15 mins!

BastardsInc504
27th Oct 2004, 13:16
Well thanks for the food for thought I now have.

I think I'll try to track down Len Sales as he seems to be the man for the job. And a big job it will no doubt.....

:ok:

CaptainToBe
28th Oct 2004, 10:49
G'day all, just wondering if anybody has the contact details for Len. I will be looking at completing the 7 ATPL's in the next 12 months.

Cheers in advance!

Transition Layer
28th Oct 2004, 11:18
You can get Len on (02) 9791 3047 or by email to [email protected]

As for the QF Jet Base trip, I'm not aware of him doing that anymore unfortunately - would be great though!

Cheers,
TL

CaptainToBe
29th Oct 2004, 00:57
Thanks for the reply Transition Layer, it was very helpful.

My next question has to do with anyone who has had any experience with Secombe aviation at YSBK. I have looked at their courses online, and they seem pretty structured and reasonable, however; i know nothing about them. Has anyone heard or had any first hand experience with them?

Cheers in advance!

G11
29th Oct 2004, 05:43
Keep the XR6 turbo and get some good contacts in the drug industry :8, you make more money and still clock up some turbo engine time.:ok:

Biatch
30th Oct 2004, 05:38
I would also suggest going to each of the school and speaking to the CFI's/Manager's personally....

I did this about a year ago and got bad vibes from a few places that were then confirmed later with other facts i came accross about those schools....

My opinion, go AFTS, good maintenance of a/c, good a/c to train on (Grob's and Tobago's) and good instructors (grade ones etc)..... not a processing atmosphere/attitude that other places have...

PropDuster
3rd Nov 2004, 22:47
CPT2B

Completed 4 ATPLs with Gavin Secombe recently. He does all subjects in class if required and cost is the same, in other words all you pay for is the course which you can do as correspondance or in class. Class sizes are small, so your not going to end up with 30-40 people and possibly get left behind if you not sure on something. Gavin has one of the best first time pass rates for Flight Planning at over 90% (see add Australian Aviation) and does really make you work on that one.
I foung his systems course very comprehensive (it includes a seperate BGT component) not to mention interesting, I managed to get a good pass in AASA first time.
I'll be heading back to YSBK some time in the new year to finish the rest of my subjects. So far I've passed everything I've sat on the first attempt.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.

Good luck with it all

Prop

OBH
4th Nov 2004, 23:53
I too have to say that Len was excellent! Got me through my ATPL's, and managed to have a good time doing them!