PDA

View Full Version : Qualification advice

Andy_20
24th Oct 2004, 16:42
Hi, im 20 and in the RAF as an avionics tech, i really want to become a pilot, always have! Problem is qualifications?! i hold 5 gcse's a-c, an nvq l3 and a btec and all corresponding key skills etc... are the nvq and btec valued enough for me to start training and be able to get a pilot job?

I currently looking into leaving the RAF and going to uni to do a aviation tech with pilot studies degree which i know will be good enough for the qualifications side, but means i wont be able to self sponsor myself through pilot training, on the other hand if i dont go to uni then my qualifications may hold me back on getting that good piloting job!?

family arent really sure of the best possible way of achieving both at the same time so im going to have to choose! would it be worth going to uni and struggle with the financial side?

Anyone with any advice, would be much appreciated.

Regards.

Pilot Pete
25th Oct 2004, 14:56
Hi Andy

Age is on your side. At 20 you could easily complete your degree course and then train to be a pilot and still be the right side of 30 when you enter the job market.

I think your biggest problem is going to be funding it. You are currently in a job which puts money in your back pocket, but which I suspect has not allowed you to save significantly (sorry if I am being presumptious there).

You do not need a degree to become a civvie pilot and many don't have one, although the benefits of having a degree to fall back on are well documented on this site already (try a search).

Alternative routes to getting a job (and funding the training) have been mentioned on here before and a good one (in my opinion) is the possibility of getting a trade behind you, like plumbing or something, which, once qualified and if pretty switched on, will allow you to earn significant money to both live and fund your training (which could start alongside) and see you qualified in about 4 years. Again, you would be plenty young enough and have a great fall back and alternative source of income (if you had the energy you could start a business and keep that running once qualified). I personally think from a pensions point of view that each and every one of us needs to diversify and have 'something else' as the days of a decent pension are fast disappearing and relying on just an employer's pension is more of a gamble than it ever was before.

Anyhow, hope that helps.

PP