PDA

View Full Version : London to Sydney history question

Miles Magister
23rd Oct 2004, 19:19
I have a friend who has just offered to introduce me to his father in law who he thinks once won the London to Sydney Air Race many years ago. He still has the trophy in his living room. They often visit Shuttleworth and love it, Airbedane please note!

I would like to read up on his exploits before I meet him so I do not look totaly inept. I have completely failed in any of my attempts at researching his involvement. I believe his name is David Parsons.

Can any one give me a pointer please?

JDK
28th Oct 2004, 10:46
Hummm.

A big blank so far. I saw the post a day or so ago. I just co-incidentally came across in Wingspan 65 magazine. There was a London - Sydney vintage rally in 1990.

There were about 20 a/c entered, but your chap's name doesn't appear in the list, sorry! There's one a/c, a Stinson V-77 C-GFAX which has + 3 other's next to the pilot's name...

Most races were to Melbourne or to N Z - Sydney's unusual.

I'll post more info if you are interested...

Cheers!

Miles Magister
28th Oct 2004, 19:42
Thank you

I still have a blank. I shall just have to use the old QFIs trick of sounding knowledgable whilst actually knowing very little about what I am talking about.

Is there one of those "Bluff your way.." guides on the air race?

MM

cringe
28th Oct 2004, 20:17
No match here either... Only got two London to Sydney air races:

2001: winners Mike Miller. James D'Arcy, John D'Arcy, and Mark Graham in an Aerostar 700CR

1969: W.J.Bright and F.L.Buxton in a Britten Norman Islander

Previous England to Australia great air races:

1934: C.W. Scott and Campbell Black in a de Havilland DH.88 Comet

1919: Sir Ross and Sir Keith Smith in a Vickers Vimy bomber

Some info here:

http://www.aerostaraircraft.com/airrace.html

http://www.campbellairrace.com/race/raceHistory.cfm?hist=raceTime

DeepC
28th Oct 2004, 20:51
I've done a cursory search of the internet using teoma and cluster which are showing much the same stuff. No trace yet.

DeepC