PDA

View Full Version : Reinforced Cockpit door

GotTheTshirt
22nd Oct 2004, 15:56
I have a copy of FAA Notice N8400-61 which deals with reinforced cockpit door for Cargo Aircraft.
I cannot find the equivalent document for JAR.

Does anyone have any info on the actual JAR requirement for Cargo aircraft.:confused:

The FAA one basically says you can either fit the reinforced door or have security procedure in place agreed with the TSA.

My initial info is that it is not a hard JAR requirement but is an NCAA requirement.

vpcaptain
22nd Oct 2004, 17:09
Doubt very much theres a requirement under JAR for reinforced cockpit doors to cargo aircraft as current flying a heavy turbo-prop in E Class Config and we only have a flimsy smoke curtain between us and the cargo - not even a door!
BLOODY FREEZING TOO!

Nightrider
23rd Oct 2004, 10:36
guess you are talking about the F27....never understood how that curtain will provide Class E safety....

GotTheTshirt
24th Oct 2004, 08:17
VP thanks for the info
I guess that curtain's not bullt proof then ?;) ;)

The problem with FAR and JAR is that there is not a section for just cargo aircraft.
You have to fight your way among all the pax aircraft stuff and dig out stuff that applies to cargo only.
With increasing dedicated cargo aircraft it would be worthwhile to address them in a separate section. :confused:

manamana
31st Oct 2004, 18:43
Am I missing something? What do cargo operators need reinforced cockpit doors for? To protect you from extremist frozen fish? Or terrorist flowers?:confused: :=

Rollingthunder
4th Nov 2004, 04:05
Well an obvious guess is a bunch of terrorists having the seemingly bright idea of stowing away in a ULD, breaking out in-flight and then commandering the aircraft to use as a guided missle yet again. There, said it - so it won't ever happen.