PDA

View Full Version : That's It I've Had Enough....

Megaton
21st Oct 2004, 13:16
of this forum because I received a job offer from flybe to start work next month! :D

For all you thirty-somethings with less than 500 hrs, hang on because the job market is starting to move. And if that wasn't enough I had an interview with a Scottish carrier yesterday as well. Interviews are like buses at the moment. Nothing all year then they all arrive at the same time.

Good lcuk to everyone else out there and thank you to all who have provided advice or support over the last few years.

I will be having a few beers tonight! :}

Number Cruncher
21st Oct 2004, 13:21
That's brilliant news.

Good on you and good on you for sharing your news in detail with everybody here.

Highly encouraging for everyone on here.

Good luck!

half full
21st Oct 2004, 13:22
Well done HP,

As a thirty-something about to embark on this particular journey, it's really encouraging to hear of succeses like this.

Happy times with Flybe.

Though of course you'll never read this as you're done with this forum!

HF

:ok:

stewpot007
21st Oct 2004, 13:23
Well done Ham Phisted,

Would be interested to know your story from 0 - job, timeline, costs, where, when etc.

Give us others about to embark some hope.

Congratulations once again.

S:ok:

Biscuit
21st Oct 2004, 13:36
Well Done Ham Phisted !!!

Fantastic news! I reckon there'll be some serious beers tonight and they'll be some of the best you've ever tasted!!

I think flybe will be a great place to work! Try and get on those 146s... Now let me think what the next four engine heavy jet might be after that...

Good luck !!

Biscuit

Northern Highflyer
21st Oct 2004, 14:00
Well done HP

As a thirty something who has just nailed the last of the ATPL's and about to start CPL training in a few days' time your news is good to hear.

Enjoy the beer this weekend, I know I will.

NH :ok:

Megaton
21st Oct 2004, 14:21
Will happily post a summary of my experiences if anyone's interested. I'm not sure they're completely typical but they may be of some use to someone. More imprtant things first....beer!

:ok: :ok: :ok: :E :E :E

Flypuppy
21st Oct 2004, 14:26
Congratulations Ham!

JB007
21st Oct 2004, 14:47
Nice one HP - check your PM's dude!

speed trend
21st Oct 2004, 14:51
well done HP,
it's very good to hear something like that.
watch your private msg.

good luck in your career.

The Greaser
21st Oct 2004, 15:08
Well done mate, that is great news. Talk to you soon.

Snakecharmer
21st Oct 2004, 17:03
Well done HP... gives this 30-something (more like 40 in a few months!) a warm fuzzy!

Just another student
21st Oct 2004, 17:25
Congratulations, its great to hear of somebody getting a job for a change!

Good luck at Flybe:ok:

LVL CHG
21st Oct 2004, 18:39
Any idea if you will start on the Q400 or the 146? Have any newhires started on the 146 lately?

767bill
21st Oct 2004, 21:43
Well done and Good luck with the new job! (don't be HP ed...)

767bill

Megaton
22nd Oct 2004, 07:23
Doh! Friday morning and my head hurts. Duff, duff, wonderful stuff. And another two nights of the same to come.

Rote 8
22nd Oct 2004, 08:16
Well done Ham. The tide does appear to be turning. I’m sure we would all be interested in hearing more about your story and how you came to find yourself with an offer from flybe.

All the best

witchdoctor
22nd Oct 2004, 09:23
Always encouraging to know that us oldies can still cut the mustard with the kiddies. Makes a pleasant change to all the threads with endless whining about how unfair life is too. Nice one.;)

MJR
22nd Oct 2004, 09:38
Well done Ham matey.

MJR

Megaton
22nd Oct 2004, 13:16
Started flying in 1986 with University Air Squadron but as sponsored engineering student wasn't given very much flying so left (in a huff). After joining the RAF as an engineer spent the next 10 years trying to change branch to pilot with absolutely no success whatsoever. For a 31st birthday present, wife bought me a flying lesson at a local school and was truly bitten by the bug again. Taking advantage of NVQ tax relief completed the PPL in sharpish order. Next posting took me to the US where the USAF base had a very good and cheap flying school. With an FAA IR in my hand, a friend from work offered me the use of his C150 at $15 per hour (and that's wet!!!) which I used to hour build.

Meanwhile I had gained a JAR Class 1 and enrolled with PPSC to start the JAR writtens. Hard work at the time since the JARs were new and there was no question bank. First big hurdle occured when PPSC went bust just as I travelled over from the US for the first brush-up course. I arrived in the UK with no accommodation and no school. Alex at Bristol took all those in the same boat and helped us with tailored courses. Passed the exams at the first attempt but on the way home (11 Sep!) the terrorists struck. I was on a BA flight to Boston about an hour from New York when the first aircraft hit the Towers....more next week.

RVR800
22nd Oct 2004, 13:34
Well done you deserve success...

er82
22nd Oct 2004, 14:09
Well Done HP. As a current FlyBE-er, if you need any advice PM me. You will start on the Q400 (but you probably already know what).
For others that asked - all newhires start on the Dash-8-400. Absolutely no chance of getting on the 146. There's already a queue of us waiting to get on it!

scroggs
22nd Oct 2004, 16:08
Excellent news, Ham, I'm really pleased for you. Keep us up to date with your progress through FlyBe, if you would - it's great inspiration for those who haven't made it yet.

Well done - I'll be having a beer for you tonight.

Scroggs

Snakecharmer
23rd Oct 2004, 10:02
... so the light at the end of the Engineer Branch escape tunnel isn't some neddy with a torch on the end of a sharp stick... excellent! After 2500+ hrs (puddlejumper flying accumulated in my spare time), I thought it was time to take the tunnel marked 'IR'... not far to go now!

Pilot Pete
23rd Oct 2004, 11:17
Well done H, hope you manage to sober up in time for your course start date............;)

PP

jarjam
23rd Oct 2004, 12:51
LVLCHANGE

I'm sure Hamphisted won't mind me butting in as he's probably on his second paracetamol sandwich by now.
All new guys will go straight onto the Q400, this has been the case for the last 2 years or so and will continue into the foreseable future.
The 146 fleet is being slowly reduced and the Q400 fleet is increasing, I flew the newest addition just yesterday
G-JECF with only 38hrs total.!!
The 146's will be kept on for another few years to do the sun routes that are too far for the Dash but eventualy they will get replaced with a more modern a/c.

Jarjam:O

FOUR REDS
23rd Oct 2004, 16:39
FlyBe conduct their sim check rides on the 146 sim at BAe Systems Woodford. Due to seniority issues recruitment is on to the Q400. At present a holding pool is created for the next -400 course, which could take place at the end of November.

Just this week they have taken on 2 guys who worked as instructors plus another who has 240 hrs fATPL/IR.

Yet a fourth person, who had jsut started down the instructional route is going to Logan on the Saab.

I would say all you chaps stand a very good chance too. Keep it positive.....

Having retired myself, I'll get my cup of cocoa and my slippers.

Happy Flying!!!!

Flying Farmer
23rd Oct 2004, 18:00
And 37.5 on the starboard engine Jarjam :} were you flying the aircraft recently when it returned to Exeter?

bruce88
23rd Oct 2004, 22:25
Thars one less to worry about..

:} :} :} :} :} :{ :{ :{ we\'er so sad your leaving the bottom of the pile..
We\'re not really... makes more room for the rest of us.
Come on..Any more of you losers got a job yet.
:}
:E
Anyway.Well done!!!
Bruce

jarjam
25th Oct 2004, 09:19
Flying farmer

No We had a nice easy day out in G-CF no major probs apart from the RAD-ALT springing into life with its overly load American accent "Twenty Five Hundred" whilst we were in the cruise at FL180.
The usual new Q400 teething problems.

Megaton
26th Oct 2004, 09:02
Despite difficulties caused by distance learning from the States (and the cost involved) I passed all the exams at the first attempt which was a massive relief. With a young family and a full time job, it was hard work especially with virtually a completely new and untested set of JAA questions.

With the exams in the bag I wanted to complete the CPL as quickly as possible. Despite earning a decent salary with the RAF I was still short of cash so took out a CDL with Barclays and went to EFT in Fla. Not a huge amount to say about the experience. Instructional standards were pretty good although the aircraft were tired. The single Arrow was overworked and became the critical path for those on the complex phase of the course but with no real dramas I was presented for test having gone over course minimums by 10 minutes.

The test itself was also a non-event although the weather, vis particularly, was awful. I announced that the weather was outwith my limits but the examiner said he'd be happy to go if I was. Taking my cue from this I elected to test. With poor vis and winds very different from forecast I was essentially barely victor Mike until about 3/4 of the way down the first leg of the nav. as the gloom lifted I spotted some landmarks and made a massive correction which brought me to the destination about 30 secs late (examiner afterwards commented that he was suprised that the correction had worked - stick to the technique!).

The rest of the test was uneventful although the pathetic performance of the Arrow makes the Vx and Vy climbs pointless. With licence now secured the next phase was to identify a school for the JAR IR on my return to the UK.

Having the FAA IR I only required a MECR and the IR conversion. I visited quite a few schools whilst researching the subject. Some were discounted on distance from home, some on size (too big or too small), some on arrogance (see seperate threads if they haven't been removed). Finally, I settled on Atlantic which seemed a decent compromise. Their aircraft was a brand new PA-44 which was lovely at the time but I know understand is getting a lot of hard use.

Training was again uneventful and in fairly quick order I presented for test. Route was Cranfied-Cottesmore-Cranfield which presented difficulties with returning Harriers. I had two attempts at the ILS at Cottesmore before finally getting down to DH as we were broken off for jets returning with fuel priority. With the delays at Cottesmore, the test itself turned into a 2 1/2 hr marathon but a pass is a pass!

Odd Skipper
26th Oct 2004, 10:34
Well done Ham.
There's a lot of us oldies out there. Good to hear you're news. It does look like more peolpe are getting jobs, i better join them.:ok:

Farrell
26th Oct 2004, 20:26
Well Done Ham - Fantastic news!

Best of Luck to you! :ok:

dreamingA380
27th Oct 2004, 16:41
Congratz HP,

I'm in the same position as you! been looking for a year then get two in a week! I start next month with Eastern and I am probably as pleased and relieved as you! Enjoy the ale... best of luck.

North County Pilot
27th Oct 2004, 16:56
Well Done Ham,

As an "oldie" myself and about to pack in the day job (5 days to go and counting) to go full time modular, I have found your news to be a ray of light in all this doom and gloom.

Thanks for the post

NCP

Megaton
29th Oct 2004, 11:13
With the IR completed I was desperate to get started with the job hunt; however, I still had the best part of 18 months to serve with the RAF. This was frustrating but I had to bide my time. I started applying for jobs in April/May through all the usual channels but without much interest. At this point I hadn't completed my MCC but I was keen to walk into a job as soon as I left the Air Force especially with our second child due in August.

Not unreasonably, the airlines don't appear to be interested in offering jobs 6 months in advance so I kept applying and re-applying. In fact, I should apologise to all those HR departments that suffered the tedium of my unsolicited job applications every 2 or 3 months.

Meantime, I had booked an MCC with OXford for the simple reason that I aspired to a jet job; therefore, a jet MCC might give me some advantage. This was no time to skimp. Despite my deep-held mistrust of them as a company, I was impressed and enjoyed the MCC. It was, without doubt, the most enjoyable part of the whole process.

My portfolio was now complete and I was re-applying in earnest. Our beautiful daughter was born pretty much on time and track so the pressure was on to find a job before I left.

By now, I had had a tremendous amount of support and encouragement from friends in the airline industry who had persuaded me not to give up. Despite this, there were times when I seriously considered remaining in the RAF. Just as I started applying for civilian jobs, it all started to happen. My wife received a windfall and we were congratulating ourselves on our good luck and commenting on how life could only be improved by an interview when, within about 10 minutes, flybe called inviting me for interview two days later.

With so little time I did as much research as I could into the company, its fleet and route structure. I dusted off my ATPL notes and AP3456 RAF Manual of Flying and refreshed my memory on turbo-props, perf, etc etc. The interview itself was quite a pleasant affair although I was made to work through some of the technical questions which I felt only fair given my background.

A few days later I received the letter inviting me for a sim assessment the following week. I hadn't done much instrument flying since my IRT the year before so I blagged some sim time which served to demonstrated how much my scan had deteriorated.

There were still more surprises to come for me though. On the way to the assessment, the phone rang with an invitation to attend another interview. My luck had definitely changed. I knew the sim assessment had gone fairly well with most of the speeds and procedures very similar to those we had used on the MCC.

After the sim assessment I travelled to the next interview with more confidence. I came out feeling quite happy but, more than anything, thinking what a decent company it would be to work for. Challenging flying and a relaxed, pleasant and professional people.

It was all happening quite quickly now and sure enough the next day later I got the magic phone call offering me a job. The day after I received a call from the second company also offering me a job! What a change from a few months earlier.

I leave the RAF soon to join one of the companies and I can't wait. I've definitely learnt a few lessons about the industry and myself along the way. There are a few no-brainers which might be useful to those about to embark upon their career:

1. Buy Clive Hughes book.
2. Get Class 1 medical.
3. Get someone to make a serious assessment of your ability before you waste a mountain of money.
4. Unless you are very lucky or very good, it will cost you more than you anticipate.
5. Make as many contacts as you can in the industry. Do not be cynical or use people but aviation is a relatively small industry and, if you are a decent chap, people will help you.
6. Generally, getting a job, or even an interview, is difficult. Do not give up now but perservere.
7. Presentation at interview is important. Research the company and learn the key facts. Make sure your log book, licences, certficates are all in decent condition and well-presented.
8. Currency is vital so if you get a sim check get some decent practice in beforehand; you will be amazed how rubbish you've become without practice.

If you're still reading, I hope it's not been too tedious. PPRuNe has been a tremendous source of inspiration to me over the last 4 years especially people like Pilot Pete. Srongly advise people to go back and read his story if you need some encouragement.

It isn't easy. But if it was, it wouldn't be worth doing.

EGAC_Ramper
29th Oct 2004, 13:29
Congrats again and if your ever end up in BHD gimme a shout...lol:ok:

Regards