PDA

View Full Version : Required Licenses

Pilot747
20th Oct 2004, 14:28
Can Someone please tell me what licenses I need to become an airline pilot. I've been told so many different things. I believe it is:

1. PPL
2. Instrument
3. Multi-Engine
4. Commercial
5. Rating specific to airplane

Can Anyone confirm this thank you

Sky Wave
20th Oct 2004, 14:36
Almost.

Assuming you don't want to do a Zero Hour to ATPL intergrated course you need the following.

1) PPL
2) ATPL ground Exams (14 exams)
3) Multi Rating
4) CPL
5) Instrument Rating
6) MCC (Multi Crew)

On completion of the above you will have a frozen ATPL. It's frozen because you need 1500 hour multi crew time before you can have an ATPL.

The type rating is something that is company specific. You would normally hope that a company will pay for your type rating, however you may end up having to pay for yourself. It's not usually a good idea to just go off and get a type rating as you are then relying on a company that flies that type. A lot of companies also have a preference as to where their pilots go for a type rating.

kilobravo
20th Oct 2004, 20:04
You will also need your night rating.
PPl involves ground studies and exams:8 as well as skills test.:uhoh:
You also have to pass a Class 1 med. :yuk:
Are we missing anything??? :ok:

Semaphore Sam
20th Oct 2004, 21:24
For USA:
Is an FCC radio operator's license still required?

willby
20th Oct 2004, 22:33
Plus:
A license to print money!
Willby

mattd2k
20th Oct 2004, 23:43
Pilot 747,

Licenses are as the others have said but Skywave has got some of his facts muddled.

For what is commonly referred to as a frozen ATPL (fATPL) you need to complete stages 1-5 as he has listed, an MCC course is not actually a requirement, though it is now often listed as a requirement of potential employers.

To get the full ATPL you need to have completed 1500 hours total time, of which 500 hours must be in a multi crew aircraft.

You need 250 hours as PiC, of which 150 (max) Co-Pilot performing under the supervision of the Pilot-in-Command (PIC/US).

200 hours Cross-country flight time,

75 hours Instrument time,

100 hours Night flight as Pilot-in-Command (PIC) or as Co-Pilot (PIC/US or P2)

All of this can bee found on LASORS which is available from the CAA website. Can't fins the link just niw but I'm sure another useful person on here will post it!

Hope this helps.

MD2K