PDA

View Full Version : FAA to JAA

NetJets007
19th Oct 2004, 22:16
I am a 600 hr, 32 year old male with an FAA Multi-Commercial License.. I also carry a British Passport and US Green Card, and am looking to either convert my licenses or find out how I can get a job in the UK with US licenses... In essence, I dont know where to start to look... what are my best steps in converting licenses and how much and how long will this take before I can apply to baby bmi or easy jet etc.... ANY help would be much appretiated. Thanks Chaps!

WaNNabeFlyEr
19th Oct 2004, 22:58
well im gonna be in a somewhat similar situation as you so some decent blokes on the forum gave me estimates on a conversion and its around 10k for a conversion. I asked Bristol Flying Centre and Multiflight to give their realistic estimates for the flying portion of a license conversion for our students. Interestingly they both came in at about £9,000 to £10,000 all in for a CPL skills test and an IR conversion using a typical number of hours, not the minimum. Details of their figures are on our forum. the forum link is http://jals.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=148
Also With my employer you could do 15 hours on the aircraft for about £5145, less if you use the sim for some of it which is about £145 per hour instead of £345. That is about normal for the UK. However, don't expect to pass first time after 15 hours!

hope this helps

Tinstaafl
20th Oct 2004, 01:56
Why not pass first time after 15 hrs? It's certainly do-able. Depends on the person, their background & their experience.

I took less than 10 hrs for all training & flight tests (CPL & IR). This was for the UK ATPL, so no min. 15 hr requirement but the principle is the same. It's not as if finding a place VFR or doing an approach any different.

Alex Whittingham
20th Oct 2004, 07:19
Yeah, but you aced Performance A as well, Tinstaafl!

Tinstaafl
21st Oct 2004, 01:38
I blame you. :ok:

Fair_Weather_Flyer
22nd Oct 2004, 13:04
What will it take? About eight months full time and 20-30,000 USD; remember the dollar is weak right now. I can't understand why you'd want to do the conversion. With another 400 hours you'd meet US regional airline minimums. The grass is no greener on the other side of the Atlantic as far as jobs go. If I was in your position I'd keep the money in my pocket. Once you have 1500 hours and 500 multi crew the conversion becomes easier. So if your desperate to go JAA wait till then before converting.