PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Books

c152pilot
18th Oct 2004, 18:51
Hi,

I am soon to start at Cabair and was wondering if anybody can tell me if I should buy the Oxford ATPL books as well using the Cabair books?

Thanks

c152pilot

CAT3C AUTOLAND
18th Oct 2004, 20:24
C152,

Personally I would save your money mate. See how you get on with the course before you start supplementing your notes, unless money is no object?

One thing I would say if you were going to invest some cash. I could recommend the Oxford Met CD, helped me no end for the ATPL Met studies.

Enjoy the course.

c152pilot
18th Oct 2004, 21:27
hi,

Well i wish money was no object but...
I will look at that cd, thanks for the help

c152pilot

CAT3C AUTOLAND
18th Oct 2004, 22:17
Your welcome and I know the feeling about the finances!

I am not sure what the Cabair notes are like actually, however I am sure all the course material you need will be in there. I must admit, I did purchase some Oxford Jep manuals, however, it was only for the subjects that I found difficult, and wanted another perspective on certain subject areas. I did find some of the diagrams in the Jep manuals particularly good, especially Instruments and General Navigation.

Topgun 4122T
18th Oct 2004, 23:18
One set of books is enough for any man in his life time !!
Forget the notes and just get your hands on the oxford feedback , they sell on it cd rom . I agree with autoland the met cd is a great learning aid . also pick up the bristol feedback it's easy to come by . Im by no means telling you to rely on feedback just advising it as a great learning and revision aid . goodluck topgun.

cumulus
22nd Oct 2004, 21:58
I am just coming to the end of a 12 month distance learning course at Cabair, and I would certainly not advise shelling out on a whole extra set of notes, although with the possible exception of the OAT MET cd. Cabairs notes, while not fantastic, are quite adequate and they are being reviewed, updated and improved all the time. If there is anything that you find difficult, the instructors are on the end of the phone and are uniformly excellent. I have been told that the great advantage of the OAT CD is that it gives animations of weather phenomena, and that really helps get to grips with a lot of the stuff such as the Jetstream and frontal systems.

HandspringGuy
19th Jan 2005, 20:53
The met CD is really worth the money. You can learn the course from that and the colour animations are fantastic.

I personally found the instrument book very useful from OAT. The problem with the Cabair books is they are all in Black & White (not too useful for EFIS, etc)

I understand they have improved their training material anyway.

Another option is to ask around in the crew room. There may be people who have 14 JARs and could sell / give / lend their books and notes to you.

Good luck and don't worry. What seems really daunting now will soon become really clear to you. The instructors there are brilliant (Especially Paul Hardy and Colin Smith)

HG :ok:

Jinkster
19th Jan 2005, 20:55
See how you go with the Cabair books, think they have changed since I did the course.

Jinkster

mjc9967
19th Jan 2005, 23:48
Finished my course full time in March04.....

Most instructors didnt use the books! Exception was for Performance and Ops Procs, which I believe Colin Smith wrote himself, and which were excellent. He may have also dealt with the PoF book since then, if he has you can trust it!

Generally speaking all of the blue Addendum sections at the back of the books are good. They are sections that the instructors have written to update / address particular issues from exam feedback and experience. For both Comms papers and Law these are especially good.

Other subject books from there I found were pants.

A lot of people found Oxford and Bristol CDs very good for Met. I personally used the printed Oxford Met book and that was excellent.

If ur doing the full time class in 19wks, don't panic over any of the books. Most subjects are taught with reams and reams of handouts every lesson, and there are tons of feedback questions given throughout the teaching and at the end as practice papers. THE FEEDBACK IS VERY (spookily) GOOD, especially for the subjects Bernie usually teaches - Instruments, Electrics (from AGK), HP+L and Radio Nav.

Gen Nav feedback is also excellent, and if you also get Paul Hardie teaching it (I think he normally does with the modular class) and you are doing the work then you have a hole in one.

With the exceptions of the books mentioned above (at least at the time I did it) they are mostly crap, but the team there do a truly GREAT job with their own resources. If the teacher uses the Cabair book then follow suit, it means the book is sensible. Just use whatever they are referring to and handing out to teach the material.

Good luck of you are going there - they do a great job - don't worry too much about most of the books! They have other ways and they work!