PDA

View Full Version : Asthma and flying

bigbear09
17th Oct 2004, 12:49
sorry if you've discussed this before but i'm new to all this stuff so just wanted a bit of info!
I will be having my medical in december at Gatwick and want to gain a class 1 certificate to allow me to learn to fly commercially.
I'm 18 and the last time a saw a doc for my asthma was in 1996.
Although i sometimes still have refils for the old inhaler, rarely get symptoms now, and do a lot of cardio so just wondering what sort of situation i'm in.
Be good to hear of any of you who have been through this,

thanks

silverknapper
17th Oct 2004, 13:12
I ain't a doc but my thoughts are:

You shouldn't have too much too worry about. If you are fit and healthy and everything else goes ok, then as long as your doc confirms that it's more or less in the past you should be fine.
BUT I would say don't be tempted to try and hide it. Be up front with them. I know several people who have had medical problems and debated wether or not to come clean so to speak. Each time they have and have been pleasantly surprised by the CAA's positive attitude (maybe the only time you'll hear that said about them!!) If you didn't disclose it and ever had any recurrence then you would be in serious trouble - not worth it after all the blood sweat and tears!!!

Try the medical forum though

SK

parris60
17th Oct 2004, 13:43
I had my medical in 2001 and I have asthma the same as you. I told them about and and they were fine. They made me run round the building a couple of times though in a very nice blue T-shirt and then tested my lungs!

BigAir
17th Oct 2004, 22:55
As Parris60 says, declare it on the forms, run round the building (it was raining when I did it) a quick peak flow to be told "you don't have asthma" and you will be okay... very common thing, and increasingly so I would imagine - do you know in the late 80's/early 90's GP's in some regions used to get cash for everyone they declared as asthmatic and needing drugs - in a lot of cases "asthma" is more a drug dependancy built up by people with no asthma knowing what benefits an inhaler will give them. That as well as exercise induced asthma which really is very different to asthma asthma. Despite all this and a lot of research in the area, a lot of GP's are very ignorant to all of this.

You'll be fine, just stay off the B & H before going in.

BigAir

piper pervert
18th Oct 2004, 09:24
Hi,
They made me do the running around building thing in heavy rain,i slipped over and twisted my ankle quite badly in front of the nurse.It's the only medical exam i've had where i come out more unhealthy than when i went in.You can always sprint when the nurse is looking and dawdle when she isn't as well,usually helps the result!

PP

bigbear09
18th Oct 2004, 09:32
cheers guys

info appreciated!

trevelyan
18th Oct 2004, 11:51
I had my Class 1 this year, and the fact I had very mild asthma didnt seem to matter. I never get attacks, just get a bit wheezy sometimes after playing footy or if i go into a smoky pub.

Wasnt queried any further, the peak flow test was fine, even if I sound like an old biddy.

:ok: