PDA

View Full Version : What's Up with EUJet? FK100 Operator out of Manston...

LVL CHG
16th Oct 2004, 02:38
I have asked this question before but have not gotten much of a response. Anyone know what is happening with EUJet - the FK100 operator out of Manston? How are they doing? I have seen the website and I know that it operates a pay-for-training scheme for non-rated pilots...

Anyone know how they are doing? Excluding the pay-for-training part that I hate, would this be a good opportunity? FK100 would be a great aircraft to fly all over Europe...

Any thoughts? Good opportunity?

Cheers

TRon
16th Oct 2004, 10:26
Their callsing EUJet sounds remarkably like easyjet over the airwaves!

Phileas Fogg
16th Oct 2004, 10:53
If you're considering paying for a type rating then do it on an aircraft that has a future.
Fokker are no more and whilst there are rumours that Rekkof will again start production it has not happened yet.
Just check out how many Fokkers are in operation in the part of the world you want to work, who operates them, how much do they pay, what employment prospects they are offering and what are their chances of staying in business long-term.
You could easily find yourself with a type rating on a type that nobody operates.

heimata
16th Oct 2004, 11:00
Hi,

The ATC callsign is supposed to be 'Union-jet'.... some of the flight numbers have also been changed lately to reduce confusion.

LVL Change... I suspect that there are better opportunities out there at the moment...

regards

Baron rouge
16th Oct 2004, 14:27
I could not agree more, although the F 100 is a nice A/C to fly, it has no future ( less than 300 built )
If you do not want to waste money, an Airbus or Boeing TR is definetely better.

LVL CHG
16th Oct 2004, 18:41
Thanks for the replies thusfar. I agree that EUJet might not represent the end-all career that most of us are looking for. However, should someone want to ultimately fly for Virgin or BA one day in the distant future, then jet time and hours become critically important.

That being said, there are a number of airline opportunities out there providing jet time and a pretty good volume of hours. However, getting on with Easy and Ryanair can be difficult given their popularity and their course requirements. I am already convinced that working for Ryanair (although a great experience in the 737-800) would be disappointing and not enjoyable given the ridiculous managment situation - I couldn't work for MOL. Easyjet would be great (I'd love to get into an A319 or 737-700), but I haven't been able to get anywhere with them - that has been very frustrating for me.

Flybe has been of interest, but I wonder whether having Q400 time would help to differentiate me from other applicants to Virgin and BA down the road - even though I would love to fly the Q400 I am not sure prop time would be seen as equal to jet time despite the size and sophistication of the Q400. Am I wrong about this?

Jet2/Channex would be great but I have no contacts. Same story with Cityexpress and BMIBaby. I have my applications in with no word for many, many months. Don't get me wrong, I am constantly out trying to build my contacts so that I can get some good networking going.

I look at the EUJet opportunity (and other opportunities as they arise) as possibly a good way to get quality jet time as a stepping stone to another opportunity down the road...

Clearly they are expanding their services out of Manston. I am not a fan of pay-for-training, but I would at least consider it if I could get some good information from an insider on how things are going and whether they enjoy their job and the FK100 (I have heard it is a great aircraft to fly).

Anyone out there with some good info on EUJet and what it is like to work there?

Cheers

TRon
17th Oct 2004, 01:21
I would be careful. Many airlines dont see anything other than a 146 as actual valuable Jet time, certainly an EMB145 doesn't count. Rightly or wrongly that is the way Virgin look at things, but BA have just lowered the post to 20t.

F100 is a very capable machine. CATIIIB, more than a 733/737 and many nice features. Just not too sure how many doors it will open for you.

Plus I tried their online booking system, terrible. Just you try booking a flight fom A-B on the days that they go there....

LVL CHG
17th Oct 2004, 02:15
I agree, the booking system bites... Just to let you know, I read on another post that Virgin has recently hired some EMBJet drivers. In any case, the hunt for information continues and I would love to hear more about EUJet from insiders if there are any out there...

Phileas Fogg
17th Oct 2004, 08:48
LVL CHG,
If you're not careful you could find yourself paying for a F100 type rating and paying again for a decent type rating not too far down the road.
Whilst particular airlines might not charge for type ratings at this time, the way this industry is going, who can say that situation will be the same once you've worked or paid off your Fokker rating?
Aviation is enjoying a boom time at the moment but it won't last forever and when money becomes tight, airlines may change policies.
With regards to EUJet, they've only been going with the Manston operation a few weeks or so, they are a brand new LCC and only then with a big input of dosh from the operators of Manston.
'Ramsgate Airport' is so far off the beaten track, just check-out public transport links, they're not likely to get connecting passengers from other London airports, just check-out how many LCC's operate the same routes as EUJet but from LGW, LTN & STN, all far easier to get to than Ramsgate.
I'm not suggesting that EUJet will not last but it will have one hell of an uphill struggle, it seems they'll only attract the leisure traveller or anyone living on the Kent peninsula, not the greatest of catchment areas!
If your going to indebt yourself to an airline I'd suggest you do it with an airline with a more proven history than EUJet and a more common aeroplane.