PDA

View Full Version : F/O or Command time????

Hatchet Harry
15th Oct 2004, 09:49
I'm after opinions from anyone who has any ideas.....

Is F/O time on a Metro/Dash/SAAB going to be as attractive in ones Log Book as command time on a Twotter or Bandit etc......

Is 3-4 years (2000+ hrs) as an F/O going to be as good as 2000+ Turbine Command.

I'm not too sure about it as the fact that a Dash, SAAB or Metro 23 gets you time over 5700 kg...... Whereas the Twotter and Bandit are just under....... And I have heard that Bigger is better.

I'm mainly looking at Cathay etc as a longer term goal........

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Chimbu chuckles
15th Oct 2004, 11:56
I would have thought the difference in value between 2000 hrs turbine command and 2000 hrs turbine co-pilot were a little self evident.

Unless it's Dash 8 airline style 2 crew ops I would go for the command time....even then everyone (personally) I know who has dash 8 time in say Sunnies had some turbine command in Twotters/Bandits first.

splatgothebugs
15th Oct 2004, 23:41
Command time is GOLD.

Need I say anymore :ok:

splat

TopTup
15th Oct 2004, 23:43
Take a look at QF's min requirements. Multi crew RPT twin time counts for a lot if you can get it. They don't specify (last I looked) command or FO time. Bear in mind however that some carriers do not consider a Metro as a multi crew aircraft......

I reckon you'll be more attractive to a smaller operator if can get say 500 - 1000 hours FO Metro time then apply elsewhere to get the command time, if that's what you're looking at? Can't beat single pilot driving for experience.......

If you get the Bandit command time then go for it before anything else! That is, go for command time over FO time anywhere if able.

Just my thoughts.

newbe200
16th Oct 2004, 10:08
I think the multi crew is important as well as command turbo prop.

I believe Cathay couldn't care how you get a thousand turbine so go for whatever. Friends tell me one of the hardest things about flying for an airline is the multi crew environment when you are not used to it.

Either way, you are faced with two pretty good options, take the most fun...

cheers
nb20

Capt Fathom
16th Oct 2004, 10:41
Friends tell me one of the hardest things about flying for an airline is the multi crew environment when you are not used to it. It's not!

Hatchet Harry
17th Oct 2004, 00:45
Thanks for the replies......

My main concern is spending 3-4 years as an F/O in a regional knowing there are some jobs out there will see you in command after 6 months.....

I can see the definite advantage of Turbine Command.......

But is Command of a Multi Crew Twotter or Bandit looked at differently when compared to say a Dash or Saab which are certified as Multi Crew Aircraft?

Is one better of as an F/O on a real Multi Crew aircraft or in Command of a Single Pilot aircraft flown 2 Crew???

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Capt Claret
17th Oct 2004, 06:35
Hatchet,

Most of the folk I've known who've gone the F/O route with little or no command time have been stymied when it's come time for command, as they've not had the command time to hold a Multi-crew, heavy (>5700kg ) command.

Three retrenchments In the early 90's when things were somewhat tubulent, indicated to me that F/O time was not overly useful for gaining what employment was available at the time.

Icarus2001
17th Oct 2004, 08:30
NO.

See above Command time is GOLD. Why the hang up with 5700Kg? The issue of CPL/ATPL to be in command is now a mute point. Go for LHS time!:ok:

swh
17th Oct 2004, 09:13
Hatchet Harry,

Have a look at the people CX recruit, they normally have either mil exp or two crew turbine exp.

Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia etc who are looking at setting up the "Asia JAR" style of licence look at time above 20t as a key, so unless its a Dash 8-400 (not dash 100-300) or F50 turboprop size, jet is better. The 12500 lb/5700 kg thing is not really relevant outside Oz, even in JAR land they look more for FAR 25/JAR 25 experience, i.e. min of two crew certified aircraft, not a metro, B1900, bandit etc.

IMHO 2000 hrs FO time on a A320 would be better than 2000 hrs command on a B200 for CX.

:ok: