PDA

View Full Version : accidents

southern25
14th Oct 2004, 17:47
I would like to know what happens if a student pilot cause an accident.Will this mean that he won't be able to find employment?Furthemore what happens to a pro. pilot?An accident generally speaking means and unemployment?Thanks in advance for your time

SMOUC
15th Oct 2004, 07:21
BLAME IT ON YOUR INSTRUCTOR!

FlyingForFun
15th Oct 2004, 19:02
In the absence of any sensible replies...

I had an accident a while ago. Although I don't go around advertising the fact to potential employees, I also don't make any attempt to hide it. I'm currently working as an instructor, and I don't recall my current employer ever asking me about it. I'm not sure whether he knows or not - it might have come up in conversation, I honestly can't remember, because I don't make a big deal of it.

On the other hand, I do use it to my advantage when teaching students. If it's at all relevant, I will always bring it up in conversation with students in the hope that they will learn from my mistakes. (There are too many mistakes to be made for us to make them all, we have to learn from other people's!) In fact, it happened to be relevant to the subject my Flying Instructor Examiner gave me for the lecture in my FI skills test, so I mentioned it during my lecture, and got praise from the examiner for doing so.

My accident happened after getting my PPL and before getting my CPL. It was in my own aircraft (well, it's group-owned, I own a 1/6 share), so it was probably less complex than it would have been either if I'd been a student (would have had to deal with my school) or a commercial pilot (deal with the boss).

Hope that's some help to you. Is there a reason why you're asking? Or is it just for general interest?

FFF
--------------

Sensible
16th Oct 2004, 08:12
As I understand it, a student with an instructor on board is a pilot under instruction and is not P1. If there is an accident whether the student or instructor is handling the aircraft at the time, the safety of the flight is the sole responibility of the instructor who is logging the entire flight as "pilot in command" The student is therefore pilot under instruction and not in command.

The other scenario which you cite is entirely different and a professional pilot will sometimes have to undergo "further training" or find another career depending upon the results of the accident investigation and the company's view of the incident.

As FFF questioned, is there a particular incident that you have in mind? the detail may be helpful here. If you provide the fine detail then you might find that a PPRuNer who is qualified in law will respond to your post.