PDA

View Full Version : crash stories

spitfires rule
14th Oct 2004, 14:49
Hi im just wondering if there is any pilots out there that have crash or near crash stories to tell.:\

Paracab
14th Oct 2004, 15:14
Why don't you have a read of the thread about the MK airlines crash that happened this morning ?

Is that the sort of thing you're after ?

Not a great day for a thread like this.

Kolibear
15th Oct 2004, 09:55
Call me a nasty cynic if you must , but whenever I see a fishing thread like this, the first thing I do is check the profile of the poster and guess what - 'spitfires rules' registered on 14th Oct.

News a bit slow today then? troll alert!

The Invisible Cat
15th Oct 2004, 10:30
Kolibear

Not that it makes a big difference, but for truth's sake, one would like to point out that "spitfires rule" registered not on 14th Oct., as you wrote, but on 29th September 2004.

One thunk he's not a proper troll either, you prolly didn't scroll down to the bottom of his profile, check the "Occupation" line and take a look at his posts (search and you will find) ;)

spitfires rule

Welcome to JB ! :E :E
You'll soon find out by yourself that some subjects should be avoided.

Phileas Fogg
15th Oct 2004, 11:47
Spitfires Rule,
You are a very sad individual, ever thought about getting yourself a life?

Kolibear
15th Oct 2004, 12:44
I apologise for misreading S-Rs profile, - but I still think that this is one thread in bad taste.

Gentle Climb
15th Oct 2004, 12:47
Spitfires

As you grow up you may learn about something called tact. You have asked just about the worst question I can imagine today. Friends and colleagues of many people on this forum were lost yesterday and whilst your interest may be genuine, I don't think that you can expect anybody to respond favourably. In reality, I don't feel that you are going to get the response that you are looking for at any time.
Please be aware that I have given you the benefit of the doubt having viewed your profile. ANY occupation and my response would have been very different.
I suggest that this thread is deleted due to bad taste.

The Otter's Pocket
15th Oct 2004, 13:56
I totally agree that this thread is a little immature, but look at how many views there have been (400+).
There are many voyeurs on this website, some are curious others are titilated, however look at the threads on this area, very few are informative, I only got here after looking at another thread.
If its informative keep it, if not go and by a book, there are plenty for sale at Transair and the backs of the comics like Pilot, Flyer and the other comics.

RUDAS
16th Oct 2004, 12:02
your reactions towards Spitfire's posting are utterly pathetic.If you don't like his subject matter,simply don't respond,but please,don't lower yourselves to attacking somebody like a damn pack of frustrated dogs.As for 'getting a life',if the best you can do to entertain yourselves is to slag him off,then i'm afraid you're all a bit sad yourselves.

While i think that any experienced pilot would probably have an incident or two to relate,(and obviously ones involving deaths/injuries would be off bounds for lack of taste and sensitivity),but there are indeed some very interesting incidents and anecdotes to relate...havent any of you ever read Tony Vasko or John Marshall in Airways? i've been enthralled by the many well-written tales these veteran aviators have to relate,so please,lets all grow up!:mad:

Gerard123
16th Oct 2004, 12:20
Here's one near miss story.

Early on in my training some wingnut told me that in a forced landing if you suspect you are not going to make the field raise some flap ? "you'll drop initially but then glide further with less drag" he said. I was inexperienced so guess what I did at my next practise forced landing? I raised the flap and almost took out some trees.

Moral of the story, never listen to anyone other than your own experiences or someone else who can back up their advice with an official piece of paper.

pilotwolf
16th Oct 2004, 12:26
Isn't every landing a controlled crash?

Therefore everytime we land do we not have a near crash experience?

PW

RUDAS
16th Oct 2004, 12:38
that's the spirit!

Gerard123
16th Oct 2004, 12:56
Depends how bad your landings are :}

Ooh heres another! My dad decided to try weightshift microlights, he had an engine failure after TO and was faced with a hill and powerlines or attempting to turn back. HE TURNED BACK !! Luckilly he just made it. But we never flew trikes there after. :O

Not quite a crash, but we had just taken off in our Baron and the door blew open the low pressure over the wing sucked out the GPS ,maps and everything else not secured near the door. Had to land before we could close it again.

A CRJ couldn't retract the gear and we had to circle until light enough to land nothing else happenend, was just a hydraulic fault.

I had an electrics failure and had to do a flapless landing, was ok and luckilly I had a handheld radio to keep comms.

Had the right main brake lock up but I got it loose again without too much damage to the tyre and kept the plane straight.

Otherwise nothing serious at all. Hope thats what you were looking for.

Notso Fantastic
16th Oct 2004, 14:01
I had a door pop open on a Baron on take-off- the door locks weren't very beefy. The violent increase in noise was what shook me up- jumped out of my skin! And after a running changeover, a previous pilot hooked out the seat belt buckle- 6 inches or so hanging out of the right door in a Cherokee. At rotate, it suddenly started loudly banging the fuselage in the wind, and not knowing what it was I flew a circuit thinking the spar was breaking!

LatviaCalling
16th Oct 2004, 21:19
I was 16 and I wanted to be a commercial airlines pilot. While going to high school I worked nights and weekends to pay the $15 per hour of flight instruction -- imagine that -- and I thought it was pretty high.

I found a qualified instructor (a PanAm 707) trans-Atlantic pilot who really enjoyed flying and we took off in a Cessna 150 at the time. I had about seven hours flying time and my pronouncements were good, so the instructor told me that I could do my first solo the next time out.

Suddenly, he grunted, turned white and became unconcious while we were doing S-turns over power lines. Scared the living hell out of me. I turned the plane around and headed back to the airport and sought out the tarmac and by God, I landed it.

Just then, the instructor came around, took one look, and told me I had done a good job. I later drove him to the hospital where the diagnosis was severe indigestion and heartburn. Neither of us reported the incident to the FAA. Remember, I was 16 and didn't know the complexeties of having to report every incident, whether professional or private.

He remained my flight instructor and I eventually took a FAA PPL license at Lakehurst, New Jersey. He retired and is now dead. I rented planes for a while, but then it got too expensive and I let the license lapse.

eal401
18th Oct 2004, 10:08
If you don't like a post, report it.

Now, I know this will be a struggle and the loss of ego boost from abusing someone will be lost, but it's so much more constructive.

Ooh, ooh, here's a thought! Maybe the OP hadn't heard about the MK incident before he posted?

PPRuNe Pop
18th Oct 2004, 12:35
Taken me a couple of days to decide but I do think the subject is in bad taste and this young man has to learn that it's question that should not really be asked. It could be a morbid curiosity, it could just be idle curiosity but I think it has no place on PPRuNe.

He would not, of course, get definative answers but I am going to close the thread anyway.