PDA

View Full Version : SEAD it's a risky business?

bullseye control
14th Oct 2004, 11:58
Having recently flown on Ex Saxon Shield I've noticed that SEAD really is a risky business. Many crews were wiped out in the early stages as a result of poor intelligence especilly from the Elint players. Anyone that wants to tickle a MEZ is mad!! Discuss.

Specaircrew
14th Oct 2004, 13:18
Why do the Yanks pronounce it 'seed' when we pronounce it 'see-ad'?

Jackonicko
14th Oct 2004, 13:59
Bet they think we can't ..............

ree-ad!

Boom boom!

sprucemoose
14th Oct 2004, 14:42
Nah, can't be dangerous - the septics insist on doing it themselves, rather than sending us in!

Archimedes
14th Oct 2004, 14:55
Specaircrew,

I was once told that the reason is that the much-loved US phrase 'The need for SEAD' doesn't rhyme properly if you use the UK pronunciation...

Given that we now have SEAD and DEAD, I've always found it odd that the USAF chaps I've heard talk about DEAD pronounce it as 'Dee-Ad' (or even'Dead') rather than 'Deed'...

Divided by a common language...

Missile Monkey
18th Oct 2004, 13:29
Calling all from a certain location in N England. SAXON SHIELD is/was good fun - in the strictly professional sense of course! In SAM terms you could class us as "enthusiastic amateurs" but fair play to the boys (engineers to a man) who carted kits the breadth of N England in the quest for some targets. The most fun most of us have had since we got running water last Tuesday (It's 'ard oop north!).

It is a truism that even simulated war can be long periods of excrutiating boredom interspersed with very brief periods of action. And so it proved. Spent a lot of our time waiting to be "killed". But it was the biggest game of SAM chess we have ever played. Bullseye Control was pessimistic in his assessment, only the really foolish copped it, however, sorry to say that on Thur the Herc formation got shredded!

As for our aircrew brethren the war cry of the week from us would have been "COME DOWN HERE IF YOU THINK YOU'RE HARD ENOUGH!"

SS05 - BRING IT ON!

SEADD, SCHMEAD, come and practice it up north. Its not quite laser quest but it is the next best thing and you haven't seen us get really sneaky yet!

foldingwings
19th Oct 2004, 11:17
I should be careful how this thread might develop, Chaps! Need to know and all that!