PDA

View Full Version : My GA last post

Mr Proachpoint
14th Oct 2004, 11:21
I'm guessin' that shortly there are gonna be a lot of kiwi GA drivers that are moving from pistons to turbines. As a tribute to the industry that got them to an airline job, I'd love to see a short, to the point message from everyone that leaves GA that sums up their thoughts as they move into the 'big time'.

Let rip boys and girls.

Jet_A_Knight
14th Oct 2004, 12:47
Thank God, I'm out.

haughtney1
14th Oct 2004, 16:28
Does a Cheyne 3 count as big time..?

Luke SkyToddler
14th Oct 2004, 18:43
"So long kiwi GA ... I'll miss you like a gaping hole in the head" :rolleyes:

And to all that big bunch of @rseholes who call themselves GA employers, every consecutive single one of whom tried to shaft me, tried to exploit me, pay me less than min wage or nothing at all, do their dirty work, dig ditches for free, spend all my evenings working for nothing making cold call telemarketing pitches to flog trial lessons, tried to make me bend the rules on tech logs, MELs, FTLs, weight and balance, fuel levels, min serviceability on aircraft, fly overloaded underfuelled non-de-iced pieces of s h i t across the Tararuas in the middle of the night in mid winter with about 6500000 MEL items U/S or outstanding ... you can all KISS MY @RSE. I made it out of GA and into a decent airline job despite your best efforts to break me. You should all be bloody ashamed of yourselves and the industry you've created, and I hope you all rot in hell.

Sunfish
14th Oct 2004, 23:03
Don't hold back Luke!

prospector
15th Oct 2004, 00:49
Luke Skytoddler,
No doubt you will be aware of the requirements of the Civil Aviation Act.

The pilot in Command of an aircraft shall-

(A) Be responsible for the safe operation of the aircraft in flight, the safety and wellbeing of all passengers and crew, and the safety of cargo carried; and

(B) Have final authority to control the aircraft while in command and for the mainteneance of discipline by all persons onboard; and

(C) Subject to section 13A of this Act, be responsible for compliance with all relevant requirements of this Act and regulations and rules made under this Act.

Now then in NZ I will concede that very little assistance is given by CAA to ensure all operators are aware of their responsibilities under the Act, but, in the event of any incident-accident this is the legislation they will all hide behind.

If you take it upon yourself to break any of the rules and regulations in this day and age, especially now that some support is possible through OSH, then you are the Author of your own fate, and deserve no thanks for perpetuating this system.

I am well aware that to argue for compliance to the regs may very well cost you your job, but there are channels now that make this an expensive exercise for such operators.

The operators can only create this environment when pilots will do virtually anything, including backstabbing, to get a few hours up.

I have much sympathy with your comments but for the most part they are directed at the wrong people. If the regulators made more efforts to ensure compliance with the regulations by the operators then the decisions on whether to go or not to go in the knowledge that if you dont your job is at risk, and if you do your licence is at risk then a lot of the stress of GA would be gone, and there would very likely be fewer accident reports to wade through.

Prospector

janesays
16th Oct 2004, 23:42
I hear ya Luke. It's been a while for me but I hear ya.
Prospector, dont take this as an attack, I'm just interested to know, have you successfully negotiated your way through GA and into an airline in the last 10 years without doing one of those courses that puts you straight in the right hand seat? If you have then congrats on maintaining that sort of attitude, I'm impressed. Your attitude seems a bit idealistic to me, if you follow the road you suggest you end up with a reputation for being a pain in the ass and the regionals soon hear about that.Makes it pretty hard to build hours and progress. I'm not saying that its ok to disregard the rules and regs but with most GA companies it is impossible to stay completely within them. Chaps like Luke cant wait to be in a company that allows them to follow the regs and do their best to comply and operate safely but at the same time are realistic enough, driven enough, to go out and do what they have to do to get where they want to be.
A lot of fun can be had in GA but its still a great feeling to walk away from it . c ya.

belowMDA
19th Oct 2004, 04:06
I know that everyone has differing experiences in their GA career, and I must say that mine could hardly be more the opposite to LSK's. I feel compelled to describe my past four years to provide some hope for those coming through now. I started my job after returning from an OE. I had a basic CPL and MEIFR with 270 hours TT. At all times I felt supported by both management and all my colleagues. I felt confident in the aircraft I flew and for the best part in the engineering work being done on them. I flew in challenging conditions both VFR and IFR but always knew the boss would back any sound decision I made. Each time I had to cancell a flight due to weather conditions or aircraft unservicibility my boss would back me up and made me confident I had made the right decision. I have been given opportunities I could only dream about when first looking about for jobs. I have flown a variety of twins including having a twin turbine command at 24 years and 1100 hours. I have flown all around the pacific and now been able to choose which of the regionals to work for.
Every day I go to work I consider how lucky I have been. I only wish all pilots had the same conditions and I am accutely aware that not everyone has it as good. I guess we have to keep fighting to make the industry better. I wish I had the answers to how to fix the places like where LSK worked but I don't know that I do.
I will shed a tear on my last flight for my present job. It will be and end of an incredible chapter in my life, having said that though, I am really looking forward to moving on upwards.

cubnut
19th Oct 2004, 09:58
seeya....would'nt wanna be ya!

:suspect:

Cub.

relax737
23rd Oct 2004, 01:51
I seldom come here for a looksee, but couldn't resist taking a peep at this thread.

It's been over 20 years since I was in GA, but it seems not a lot has changed for most. I only had three GA jobs, two employers, since I went back to the first after a couple of years, and neither was bad, in fact one was very good and the other good.

I always had radar, and well maintained aircraft to fly. I certainly worked hard, sometimes flying 40 hours in a week, but not often. 100 a month was certainly normal though, and i think back then it may have been a 90 liomit but have forgotten.

No telemarketing, but they did ask me to fix the battery charger one Sunday; in a previous lkife I was an electronics technician. Many times I felt like telling the boss to shove it, but always resolved to give it till Monday to see if Ifelt the same way. I didn't.

I flew everything from freight, nice pax, not so nice pax, BF's, crocodiles, and a million other things right across Australia before getting the nod for bigger and better things.

All in all, I have quite fond memories of my GA days, although I realize it wasn't/isn't so good for most.

I survived for almost 5000 hours, was grateful for the experience, and without it wouldn't have graduated to where I am today. I've lived outside Australia for a long time, flying 737's, 767's and 777's.

I keep in touch with both my previous emplyers, a little loosely, butin touch nevertheless, and at times miss the excitement of GA. They were great days for me, hard work, hard won experience, but most of all, a start.

maxgrad
23rd Oct 2004, 11:02
GA is what you make of it.

For me it is a rollercoaster ride with many pitfalls and traps. But the simple fact is it is a great proving ground and good fun most of the time. I am in a nice part of GA now so can look at it and relax knowing I made through some very interesting flights and situations.

I have radar now and all the other bits and pieces, but still look in windows of a/c previously flown and smile at past expiriences.
GA brings out the best and worst of drivers. Airlines know this and are aware of who and what is happening in the industry.

Choose your attitude

damn!
just fell off soapbox