PDA

View Full Version : Lanseria Flight Centre

NorthSouth
13th Oct 2004, 15:03
Anyone done any training or hire & fly at Lanseria Flight Centre in South Africa recently? Any comments/experiences you'd like to share?

NS

birdlady
13th Oct 2004, 15:55
Hi NorthSouth

I did a couple of hours flying at Lanseria Flight Centre because I heard they were excellent and after my old school went bankrupt I was desperate. I found the instructors very cavalier and didn't take the job seriously. The aeroplanes were very shabby - they only have Cessna's and a duchess - the equipment on the planes was not great either. Lanseria has two runways - one which is closed for maintenance - ALOT of commercial traffic so it takes atleast half an hour to get t/off clearence. A complete nightmare!!!!!!

If you've got your heart set on Jhb - may I recommend Superior Pilot Services in Grand Central. I did my SA ppl with them and they were excellent. Grand Central is a really nice airport as its not that busy and when it does get busy the tower will always manage to squeeze you in somewhere so no long waits at the holding point. SPS has got some great deals on at the moment for structured hour building. The owner is also an ex JAA CFI so knows quite a bit about the training system. If you want to PM about it please feel free.

Ciao
BL :ok: :ok: :ok:

silverknapper
13th Oct 2004, 16:51
Not used them but Birdlady is right about FALA, it can be really busy trying to get off the deck. BUT...have also heard they are extremely cheap.
If it's hour building you're doing why not go down to the coast a bit more, stellenbosch is excellent and the area is much nicer!!

SK

birdlady
14th Oct 2004, 14:21
Hi SK

They were cheap but their prices have gone up as they changed management recently. Plus many people dont realise that the price they quote is a dry rate and not a wet rate. The coast is pretty but the weather can be REALLY DODGY. A couple of the guys I trained with did their PPL's on the east coast and said they were grounded more often than not. However, Ive heard 43rd has an excellent hour building package (very structured) but a little on the expensive side. Superior Pilot Services (gosh here I go again) charge R585 per hour for a Piper 160. Obviously solo rate there. Lovely little aeroplane.

Ciao Bl :ok: :ok: :ok: