PDA

View Full Version : What the Hell Was That??

Lukeafb1
13th Oct 2004, 14:16
3.05p.m. Wednesday 13th

"Something" just went over my house just south of Newbury, Berkshire, flying very, very low and very, very fast! I would guess that it was at 350 - 400 feet (max) and travelling at 350 - 450 kts. By the time I got outside, it was climbing nearly vertically and unidentifiable. It sounded like a single engine jet.

The same thing happened earlier this morning. Since this is not a low flying area, it was extremely unusual.

As far as I know, there are no air shows scheduled, but ten minutes later, I can hear it again, although this time, in the distance.

Anyone know what it was?:confused:

c-bert
13th Oct 2004, 14:30
Don't know what it was but it is worth noting that the whole country is a low flying area. The military just 'try' to restrict it to areas of intense aerial activity.

ORAC
13th Oct 2004, 14:38
"very, very fast....travelling at 350 - 450 kts" :hmm:

skydriller
13th Oct 2004, 15:45
"Something" just went over my house just south of Newbury, Berkshire, flying very, very low and very, very fast! I would guess that it was at 350 - 400 feet (max)

......an aeroplane per chance???

OK, OK, enough sarcasm..... but the memories......

....as a kid one of my earliest memories is of when F111s used to fly at near zero feet down the kennet & avon valley...got me interested in aviation that did :cool: :ok:

though my parents said they used to scare me and make me cry :{

Regards SD..

Lukeafb1
13th Oct 2004, 15:47
ORAC,

I was on Canberras for almost all of my career!

Wee Weasley Welshman
13th Oct 2004, 16:31
Seems to be the day for it - currently 2 F3's over my house trying to out turn each other and if I'm not mistaken, using quite a bit of burner. And I thought F3 mates always stacked by 5.00pm...

BEagle
13th Oct 2004, 16:55
Probably the same guys who went smoking past BEagle Towers at 1633Z on the way to the Covert Oxonian Aerodrome....

Jet noise IS the price of freedom! Thanks for the reminder, team!

The Nr Fairy
13th Oct 2004, 18:35
Perhaps related to the Tornado crew, last seen banked hard and pulling hard to the left over Pewsey a week or so ago, when I couldn't see Pewsey Hill from my kitchen window . . .

Razor61
13th Oct 2004, 22:01
The plane you saw near Newbury was probably a 13Sqn GR4 from Marham involved in the Staff college demo between Everleigh and Netheravon on Salisbury plain. Jaguars and GR4s involved all day apparently. As were Helos yesterday (apaches, merlins etc) and C130s.

As for the F3s 'turning and burning' over Cheltenham ( i think?) area, there were a few 111Sqn F3s that turned up at that 'secret' airfield in Oxfordshire today, and tonight they were airborne, some routing east, while one routed to St Mawgan for a play.

Razor61 :ok:

Beagle-eye
14th Oct 2004, 08:19
Exercise Saxon Shield is on this week. Started Monday. Lots of UK traffic (F3, GR4, Jags, C130's) plus some F-16s over from Spangdahlem.

The Rocket
15th Oct 2004, 01:00
Now then!

You're talking about the fastest fighter in the WORLD at sea level!

Have some respect there!

TR;)

Feck
15th Oct 2004, 07:23
Run away! Run away!

hairyclameater
15th Oct 2004, 13:54
So thats where all the LL trade went!

Have been in LFA 7T all week and seen sod all! - Thought you lot were scared of a few heavy showers!

I'm back there Mon & Tue next week and the whole week after - so get yer arses down to the Tregaron/Devils Bridge/Rhayader area!!! (And I dont mean you lot taking part in the Prince of Wales trophy either!)

OK!?

Flap62
15th Oct 2004, 14:48
WWW,

I Don't think you should be too excited about two F3s trying to out turn each other over your house. They were probably visible to most of the uk with their turn radius

Milt
16th Oct 2004, 01:39
Sonic Bangs

Reminds me of the time I first went Mach 1.0+ in an F86 Sabre.

Had to dive at high power and used small island as aiming point.

Chewed out severely post flight as island was an army ammunition storage site and occupants needed counselling.

Still like to hear a sonic bang bang but the F111 which laid one on the Gold Coast in Oz recently stirred up the populace, stopped the chickens laying and the cows went dry.

Roghead
16th Oct 2004, 23:27
Come on Lukeafb1, surely you must have topped 500kts even in the Cranberry, clean, light. and a straight line perhaps.
Glad that the sound of freedom is still about- could do with a bit more around my area ( Faslane and other sundry sailors);)