PDA

View Full Version : Cpl(h)

mwgie
13th Oct 2004, 10:48
Hi

I am contemplating a career change and have done a bit of research into the PPL(H) -> CPL(H) couldron! Could anybody give me an un-biased (ha!) clue as to some of the more reputable Helicopter Flight Schools within the UK! (Ideally commutable from N.Wales/Cheshire)! Looking at it another way (maybe a bit more sneaky!) .. Are there any schools I should be keeping away from!

Is 50k a realistic sum that will get me towards my goal of a CPL(H) license..

And the golden one! What are job prospects like in the UK for a fresh helicopter pilot! mmmm I guess I know the answer to that one! Is the ATPL(H) route more likely to get me a job!

Thanks in advance
Mwgie (martin)

silverknapper
13th Oct 2004, 11:04
Martin

You don't specify your age - that may be a factor in this:
CPL (h): The market in the UK is tough for low hour CPL holders. The main VFR operators, generally only take on guys with over 1000 hours. It's difficult dangerous work and they can pick and choose as there are never a lot of jobs available.
ATPL (h): This is where the age thing comes in. Some offshore companies have sponsorship available. Check with them. Generally available to under 28 only. This route would be the most likely for a job IMHO as people like Bond are always recruiting. It is more like a small airliner so multi crew etc.

Sorry but no idea about schools. One thing I do know is that a lot of guys go abroad for rotary training as it is so bloody expensive. I know that the market abroad is also better for the first job.

SK

mwgie
13th Oct 2004, 11:27
SK

Many thanks for your prompt reply..

mmmm It is the classic case of the more I find out.. the more questions that enter my head!

With regards to age, I am 33! So, as you state, the sponsorship route is out of the question. I have seriously looked at training abroad but this again is fraught with dangers plus my other half would not be too happy with me disappearing for a year or 5! She is committed to staying in the UK for 3 years due to training etc mmmmm

After a lot of research, I did seriously consider Becker Helicopters in Oz and Helicopter Adventures Inc based in Florida. Both have the cost advantages with HIC having the advantage in that they are the only company outside of the uk certified to train to UK JAA CPL(H) standard! To be honest, I have been to OZ and really like the place.. But in a way, I am trying to think long term. Even though the heli jobs may be more abundant abroad, it is more difficult than finding a job in the UK due to the fact that if you do manage to qualify, then you have got to try and get a work visa/permit or even Residency which is nigh on impossible!

I think I need to ponder some more! ha
Thanks again
martin

six-sixty
13th Oct 2004, 12:13
Hi Martin

Firstly, I suggest you check out the Rotorheads forum where there's loads more advice on this.

I originally wanted to do helicopters and spent some time researching. £50k is realistic for the CPL(h), and will certainly get you an integrated course at Oxford. Definitely worth visiting and meeting Andy Gutteridge the CFI who certainly impressed me. Modular over here will be cheaper obviously, and lots of people also rate HAI in the US as you've already discovered.

All that being said, all you'll end up with is a VFR CPL, and instructing aside there are VERY few of those jobs around. COmpetition is from ex service pilots with lots of turbine time. On top of this, to get a decent job you have to have an IR, and you HAVE to do it on a twin-turbine machine and that is going to cost you another £25k at least. Used to be the N.Sea operators would put you through this then bond you, but the N sea is winding down bigtime.

I decided that "planks" were a less risky proposition, but I appreciate some people do get a bit fundamentalist about helos!

That being said, my research is about 8m out of date, so do check rotorheads out - and best of luck.

SS

helicopter-redeye
14th Oct 2004, 08:04
mw,

You probably need to check out the ground school aspects first, before considering the flying hours school.

There are four (possibly six) providers in the UK for the modular route and another one (I think only one) for the integrated.

If you plan integrated, then the choice is UK or overseas.

If modular, then research the GS providers (via Rotorheads) but listen to all the options, not just a 'ask the audience' result who who posts the most glowing recommendationbs for one venue.

The GS part could take you 2 years on modular, at which time you have to locate the flying school for the flying training.

The approved flying schools for APTLH and CPLH are listed on CAA LASORS, so this can help guide a decision if a UK based school is used.

If this decision is a couple of years out, its worth seeing who is and is not still in the market by then!

h-r

HELOFAN
28th Aug 2005, 20:52
Hi all,
I am in the same boat looking for schools.

I am an Australian looking at both schools international & local.

This is a very hard decision to make.

I am not a huge fan of the R22 and would prefer to doing it in the 300 type helicopter.

HAI in Florida was one and Beckers in QLD is the other.

Any advise on these or any other schools that you may reccomend.

ERgh , just when I thought I knew what school I wanted to fly with I read good and bad about them.
Would love to get hold of some ex students or current students or even employees of either.

Also looking for advise about training over seas US Vs Australia..or anywhere else reccomended.

Thanks for all the advise.