PDA

View Full Version : Safety consids during check rides - Help

bigdog1971
13th Oct 2004, 00:51
I have been asked to complete a presentation on "incorporate Safety considerations during dual and mission check rides"
I am going to use the angle, when should the instructor initiate practice emerg, with regard to flight phase and student/instructor ability.
What measures can be put into place to protect the safety of the crew and asset?
These consids/measures will need to be flexible with regard to both the QFI's experience level and the student/sqn pilots level of experience.

Any assistance would be great, even pointing me in the right direction for some reading.

Cheers
Da Dawg.

Art Field
13th Oct 2004, 10:24
bigdog, although your angle is the airborne check I think it should be relevant to first of all, take a long hard look at the content of such checks to determine whether the traditional items, such as assymetric, really need to be practiced in the air. If you are trying to reduce risk without jepardising standards the simulator, if you have one, may meet your requirements.

In many years of checking I never found any written aids to the job. The most obvious safety measure is to never initiate an action without being sure the checker can cope with a total screw up plus 1000ft/ 30kts/ or appropriate safety margin. People being checked can behave very uncharacteristicly due to the checkitus factor. Likewise, take control before things go too far wrong, better to check another day than never again. Beware of letting a situation continue so as not to undermine the examinees confidence, his confidence can be rebuilt, you can't. Consider the stress factor on the airframe, some recovery manouvers can be damaging on the aircraft if screwed up, back to the simulator perhaps. Another consideration, sadly ignored by a few, is that testitus factor, yes the examinee is being checked but do your best to relax him/her and avoid a rapid stream of problems and you will get a truer picture of their ability which after all is what your after. Remember that checks are more tiring that normal sorties, don't overload, the sim is the place for that if you must. Overall a check should be totally relevant to the squadron task, not a measure of the checkers macho level.

Not knowing what level you are coming in at I may be quoting the obvious but for what its worth.