PDA

View Full Version : Leeds Flying School, aeros or Airways Exeter for IR

silverknapper
12th Oct 2004, 21:45
Title says it all really!! Does anyone have views on any of these three schools.

Many Thanks

SK

r44flyer
12th Oct 2004, 22:15
I'm currently doing a degree in aviation technology with pilot studies at leeds uni, in partnership with leeds flying school. (does that make me bias? :P ) had no experience of instruction yet but so far they appear to be a very professional outfit. staff are friendly and approachable, student satisfaction is good so ive heard. plus they operate cougars instead of senecas, which are apparently nicer to fly and a little more forgiving, and its a little cheaper.

aeros have excellent facilities, quite a large fleet. did my ppl(h) with a company who shared their hanger. seemed to be a very busy place. good sim as well.

not hugely useful... but i try.

EGBKFLYER
13th Oct 2004, 05:20
Did IR and CPL with Aeros and would do FI with them too if I go that route.

Excellent school - new facilities, well maintained all Piper fleet and a new FNPT 2 for what that's worth. My biggest need was for a well organised course since I kept my 'day job' while flying. They delivered exactly what they promised, in the time they promised (5 weeks IR and 10 days CPL in my case). The instructors are a friendly bunch and know their stuff, they have a good relationship with the CAAFU examiners and Gloucester isn't a bad airfield to train from. They also work on a 2:1 student/ instructor ratio, flying every day M-F. That helps too.

Any downsides? They asked me to pay up front. This would not have been my first choice, though an educated bit of financial research revealed they are in no danger of going bust, which made it a risk worth taking IMO... Can't think of anything other than that.

If you want to know more, PM me.

Reverand Lovejoy
13th Oct 2004, 14:19
sk, I too am on the Aviation degree at leeds uni but had completed my PPL before starting the course. This means I had no ties with Leeds Flying School until now. I have recently completed my IMC there and it was conducted in minimum time with the help of 2 different instructors. The outfit is no "looker" it is actually what looks like a converted mobile home with no wheels!! But don't let this put you off. It was originally what made me go and fly with another outfit close by because they had glossy brochures and big BBJ's to look at. However the available aircraft (singular!!) was a joke and in no way mentioning names but the staff were, on occasions, not just unfriendly but rude.

I am also intersted in my IR soon and wanted to get a feel for it with the IMC. With this in mind alot of the course was taught like an IR as you would expect and John Forsyth has a way of getting material to stick. Here are some of the good, bads and ugly's.

Good
--> Dylan - operations manager. Always current with information, keeps boards and slots in check and maintains a smooth operation. Never was I double booked or bumped for someone else.

--> John Denson - CPL, instructor I beleive (check website though to be sure). I originaly started my course with him but he had to go away and ensured the new instructor was fully briefed on where we left off so no waisted money/time.

--> John Forsyth - IMC instructor with an IR(although lapsed me thinks). This made all the difference because he actually new what he was talking about when it came to progressing onto further topics, outside the scope of the IMC. Questions you will probaly be asking like me.

--> Tony Denson - I think he is the owner although not completely sure. Either way he is a key player in the set-up and is Johns' Dad. He was also my examiner. I didn't spend much time with him, only for the exam, but he does teach at my university and from an academic point of view is a very sound guy. Again no problems here with Tony

All in all the staff are really friendly and make you feel welcomed. The team are a close knit unit, quite literally family and I think have got it right

Bad

--> The portacabin is located off of the airfield and is a bit of a nightmare when you turn up for a brief then have to hop in the car to get the aircraft ect. Nothing major just a wee inconvienience.

--> Having to pay the exact fee for an hour in the sim as you would for the real thing. I was alowed to log the hour but it is still a jagged pill to swallow when you just paid the wrong side of a hundred quid for a fancy game of flight sim with no monitor. This I beleive is standard though.

[B]Ugly/B]

--> The portacabin!!!!!!!
--> Coney Park - where it is situated

Be under no illusion about the quality of training and facilities though on first impressions. It is where many people have been left at the wayside and gone elsewhere only to be sh@t on by a glossy outfit.

I hope this gives you a bit more insight from a customers point of view. I will certainly be doing my CPL there when I get through these bloody ATPL's. Although I've spent some time writing this it should in no way be taken as gospal. I have tried to be as fair as I can and there is obviously an eliment of bias. Nothing I write should stop going you down to Coney Park and having a cuppa with one of the guys and disscussing everything from the course to life and cars and such!!!!!! Hope it works out for 'ya.

Chow for now

THE Reverand:ok:

JB007
13th Oct 2004, 14:22
Can I suggest you look at P.A.T at Bournemouth - did my IR with them in March this year - a very very enjoyable time was had!

Robthestudent
13th Oct 2004, 17:23
Like Jb007 i am surprised you have not included PAT in your list.

I done my IR there 3 yrs ago got a 1st time pass, very impressed with the one to one service.I believe they have one of the best pass records in the country which in my mind gives you a clue as to how they operate and the standards that are achieved. Do yourself a favour go and pay Anthony, Linda and Bruno a visit in sunny Bournemouth

Rob

ggpmw
13th Oct 2004, 17:25
May I also sugest that, whilst you are looking 'down south' for your school, ie Exeter, then P.A.T in Bournemouth is given very serious consideration... Did my IR in August, minumum hours... a very, very good school with first class instructors.

silverknapper
13th Oct 2004, 19:49
I guess I discounted PAT in terms of cost. They are a bit more expensive than the others, who still seem to provide a decent service.
Interesting fact on Aeros. I know the worse probably wouldn't happen but I still won't pay up front, and I think it's unreasonable of a school to ask.
What are the main differences in the FNPT 1 and 2? Does it make that much of a difference?
Many thanks so far

SK

JB007
13th Oct 2004, 22:12
Don't be put off by the price at P.A.T - they have very experienced instructors and a superb environment to get you through first time, I spent approx £13.5k on my IR, which IMHO, is very very competitive.

It's all about quality....

P.s Just keep the Fat Controller supplied with tea and throw the odd Chicken Korma at the CFI and you won't go far wrong!!

P.p.s Steve - we haven't forgotten, we will buy you that Curry!!!

Mr Man
14th Oct 2004, 06:16
As Robthestudent says, PAT have one of the best pass marks in the country,however,a very important factor,they acheive it with regard for minimum hours and respect for the student.
It's easy to look at pass results from schools who harp on about pass rates but have no regard for either of these factors,and get roped in to something you will regret.
Value comes in the form of many factors,not simply the bottom published price.My advice - P.A.T.

(Take yer thermals,it's not true what they say about southern climates!)

daw
14th Oct 2004, 10:45
westflight gets good reviews as well and might be worth checking out.

silverknapper
14th Oct 2004, 11:07
They too are over the 12k mark. I had been hoping to get the course for 11 tops. Don't think thats unreasonable, there are lots out there with a good name: Leeds, Bristol, Exeter, aeros, multiflight. I know a grand here and there shouldn't matter. Unfortunately at the moment it does!!

EGAC_Ramper
14th Oct 2004, 21:27
Actually called up Aeros and asked for a brochure,recieved ti the next day wish was impressive.With a mix of MCC+ATPL exams at Oxford and flying with Aeros I'd save meself around £6k!!:oh: Though finding that first job after training is troubelsome so am curious to hear of person who have been to Aeros and gotten jobs.:D

Regards

silverknapper
14th Oct 2004, 21:47
Very much doubt that there will be any difference in job prospects between the two. Oxfords famed career help seems to only really apply to Integrated, and even at that it is now apparently two tier. Wouldn't even consider them in my modular list for anything other than groundschool.

SK

Snigs
15th Oct 2004, 06:26
You could do a lot worse than BFC at Lulsgate. Excellent facilities and instructors, and you'll get an insight into the air taxi business at Centreline, if you talk to the right people! :cool:

traumahawk71
15th Oct 2004, 10:13
Bristol Flight Centre get my vote:ok: .

Recommended by a numbet of fellow pilots so went there myself. Very professional and has recently moved into a new purpose built building. Don't be influenced too much by cost as a far better indication would be number of SATISFIED pupils who pass through the school each year.
BEWARE of hidden costs when comparing prices:
does the price include costs such as
hire of aircraft for test?
exam fee?
how much extra do you pay if you need more training etc?
Landing fees
Approaches to beacons etc.
Some of these might seem neglible but they soon eat into any hard earned cash. :(
Good luck with which ever school you decide :ok:

GoldenMonkey
15th Oct 2004, 11:05
Just out of interest, does anybody have an opinion on Stapleford for IR? Hasn't been mentioned in this thread so far. Anyone been there got comments?:rolleyes:

mumbo
16th Oct 2004, 13:30
Did my IR at Leeds Fling School this summer. Mike Dyson was my instructor. He is a top man and you could not wish for better.

May the wind at your back never be your own.

Mumbo