PDA

View Full Version : Use of autopilot during IFR training

Capt. Manuvar
12th Oct 2004, 21:32
I'm doing my MEIR outside the UK and we are allowed and expected to use the autopilot during flight. This is because autopilots are mandatory for single pilot IFR and it seems to be a bit dangerous to fly single pilot IFR without an autopilot especially in high performance and complex aircraft.
i would like to know if this is allowed under JAR training and if any schools teach the use of autopilot under IFR.
capt. M

EGBKFLYER
13th Oct 2004, 05:35
Don't think you'll find many schools telling you to use autopilots during training over here in the UK. I was shown how to use it and have used it since but I never touched it in earnest during training.

The general justification is that you are learning to fly the aircraft, not an autopilot and should it fail, you will need to take over regardless of flight conditions. Small twin APs have no redundancy (except you!) and tend to be pretty simple. They aren't clever enough to cope with too much turbulence and are probably not that reliable in general - I've flown quite a few AP-equipped aircraft with an AP circuit breaker locked off because the AP doesn't work...

I reckon that flying should be learnt first. If you are not really familiar with the aircraft's handling, you will be at a disadvantage when using the AP. It's not set-and-forget - you need to monitor what it's doing and be ready to knock it out if you don't like its input. Single pilot IFR ops are high workload but not unmanageable and the AP can't cover you for the whole flight anyway, so I don't really accept that justification I'm afraid.

Finally, isn't half the fun of single pilot being allowed to do lots of hand flying? Plenty of time to play with George when you get to the big boys...

kala87
13th Oct 2004, 09:56
You can never be absolutely certain what an autopilot in a single or light twin is going to do next! The A/P is useful to hold a heading, VOR radial or altitude while you review charts, or run a checklist, but you have to watch them like a hawk. I recently flew a PA28R, and on engaging George witha bugged heading set on the HSI, the aircraft entered a continuous right turn, with increasing angle of bank, and probably would have rolled inverted if I hadn't pressed the A/P disconnect button. Wish I could hire an aircraft where the A/P either works properly for more than one flight......or indeed, works at all!!

Tinstaafl
13th Oct 2004, 13:17
In the 'real' world of SP IFR autopilots are used a lot. Why knacker yourself if you have George handy? Besides, it lets you do paperwork, brief approaches, eat a crew meal etc. without the a/c constantly having to be returned to S&L flight. Pax don't like it when the a/c isn't steady.

However, for training for the IR, I feel you'll do yourself a disservice if you use the a/p a lot instead of using the handflying opportunity to maximise your workload capability & multi-tasking skills. Still make sure you're thoroughly comfortable with the a/p. You'd be stupid not to use it during the test!

NB: Not all countries require an a/p for SP IFR.