PDA

View Full Version : Hot Start ??

DUBXH
12th Oct 2004, 20:03
Can anyone provide information / pics of an L-10-11's "hot start" recently displayed by an EX DELTA Royal Jordinian operating on behalf of Helios there on Monday morning in DUB? Apparently it is quite normal for a flame of nearly 50 feet to be shot out of the back ? Anyone have any pics or info as to why it happens ??

jettesen
12th Oct 2004, 20:09
commonly happens after maintenence has been caried out on the engine. may be due to a surplus of fuel / oil in there. Nothing strange. Look on airliners.net for some pics

cringe
12th Oct 2004, 20:39
Or check out this video ("wet start" of a Braathens 737-500):

http://gassundertrykk.com/movie/engine-start.wmv

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Oct 2004, 07:01
Anyone old enough to remember Airspeed Ambassadors starting up? Used to be LVPs for about 10 minutes afterwards!!

Scottie Dog
13th Oct 2004, 12:55
Don't know whether I should admit to it, but I well remember the nice 'smokie' starts on the DA Ambassadors at Manchester.

Almost as good as the departures with the CV990A!?

Scottie Dog - going grey around the edges !!

ALLMCC
13th Oct 2004, 15:58
What about the IL-18 - used to see Taroms' at EGAA - the a/c virtually disappeared for 2/3 minutes after starting - maybe something to do with water/methanol injection?

DVR6K
13th Oct 2004, 21:24
Interesting to see that hot start in the Braathens 735. But what exactly is a hot start?? Why is it called that? I assume it is because flames shoot out the back of the engine and not to do with the engine temps being warm following a short turn-around or something.

And is a tactical PA announcement to the passengers warning them not to panic at the fire and smoke on start-up in order on such an occasion?

Hope my car doesn't do that tomorrow morning...

cringe
13th Oct 2004, 22:26
I forgot to mention that there were no passengers on the Braathens 737 when the video was made. The circumstances of that engine run are given here:

http://gassundertrykk.com/movie/index.html

WHBM
14th Oct 2004, 09:28
Anyone old enough to remember Airspeed Ambassadors starting up? Used to be LVPs for about 10 minutes afterwards!!
Oh my god HD, I do but you make me feel my age ! I saw one fire up one morning at Liverpool airport (Dan-Air used to do a Liverpool to Amsterdam run with them) exactly as you describe.

It was a general feature of radial engines, but some were worse than others. In a radial with all the cylinders in a star arrangement, it was not really possible to prevent some of the lubricating oil all around the con rods and crankshaft in the centre of the engine from slowly leaking down into the lower cylinders, especially with worn piston rings, whence it would be burnt off when the engine was started up, with the associated smoke from the burning oil.

Doesn't happen with a car engine as the cylinders are all above the oily parts.

witchdoctor
14th Oct 2004, 13:43
Not something you will see very often, even as an airport worker. Only seen one so far, on an Air France Barbie Jet (Emb 145). Quite spectacular, looked like they'd fitted afterburners. Fortunately, it was only momentary, and the engine was not shut down as a result.

In practice, I doubt the pushback crew who visually monitor the engine starts from the front of the aircraft would actually stand and watch a hot start as long as the one in the Braathens clip. Or at least I hope they wouldn't.:ooh: They usually have a fairly healthy sense of self-preservation.