PDA

View Full Version : NATO and the UN

joe2812
12th Oct 2004, 16:02
Im trying to learn details of both the UN and NATO to add to my current affairs portfolio.

Ive used the two Org's websites aswell as a few books on them (UN and World Security, and NATO enters the 21stC.)

They all seem to be in a foreign language, can anyone suggest any recommended reading on who/what/where/why that will be good for a younger person? Also any tips on keeping abreast of what they're doing at the moment would be useful.

WE Branch Fanatic
12th Oct 2004, 19:16
Try www.nato.int and www.un.org

MajorMadMax
13th Oct 2004, 01:44
You need the NATO Handbook, the 2001 version was ISBN 92-845-0146-6...might be a new one out there, I work at NATO and that is the most recent one I have! Check the NATO web site listed above, or write the NATO Office of Information and Press at 1110 Brussels, Belgium (that's all the address you'll need) or email [email protected]

Sorry, can't help you on the UN, I use their web site as well! :}

Cheers! M2

joe2812
13th Oct 2004, 15:26
Thanks for the replies. Have just e-mailed the above address to chase up the reference material I requested 4 weeks ago, any chance you could give whoever dispatches it a kick up the proverbial M2? ;)

Will look into the NATO '01 H'book :ok:

Melchett01
13th Oct 2004, 17:43
Joe

What exactly are you after? May I suggest an alternate approach to finding things out about these organisations.
Have a rummage round the web for sites dealing with recent conflicts / ops.

Rather than getting the standard party line of how many countries and when they joined etc you may find out other aspects - what did countries bring to the party on various ops, how successful were they etc For instance - I bet the UN site won't tell you how the UN were almost kicked off the Korean Peninsula by the North Koreans in 1950/51 during the Korean War, and what saved them.

Just a suggestion that might add another 'applied' dimension to your research. And if you get stuck on hunting down what ops they've been involved in, try looking at the sites that sell / reference medals - they should have most of the recent (post-WW2) UN/NATO campaign medals to give you a starter as to where to look.

Good hunting