PDA

View Full Version : Late 80s tv film drama about the RAF?

Appo
12th Oct 2004, 13:27
I am after details of a film shown on tv in the late 80s, about the RAF. It centres on a young airman who gets beaten up by rockapes and bumps the NAAFI girl – who then gets up the duff by someone else...:o) It featured a TACEVAL…that’s all I can remember – sounds riveting eh?

Can anyone remember the details of this film (It may have been called “Wings of a Dove”)?

The feeble description is mainly due to my failing memory – however, I would like to see the film again, if only out of curiosity..:-)

Styron
12th Oct 2004, 13:43
Yes Winter Flight starring Sean Bean, Reece Dinsdale and Nicole Cowper.

It was set at Duxford and other airfields around that area.

Here's a good link

http://www.compleatseanbean.com/winter.html

Appo
12th Oct 2004, 16:42
Styron -

Many thanks for the link.

Appo

bob-morris
12th Oct 2004, 20:51
There was also "Squadron" in the late 70s and "Strike Force" (aka Strike Farce) in the early 90s - the latter filmed at Leeming whilst I was there.

They were all crap!

CBA_caption
12th Oct 2004, 22:25
Ah, Strike force - Thank you! Had been wondering whether I imagined it. Didn't one of the chaps drive off a cliff in his MGB or somesuch. No idea why that sticks in my head.

CBA

Av18tor
13th Oct 2004, 01:12
I hate to admit it but I found Strike Farce on an old video last week and yes, I did sit through two hours of poo.

And the car that flew off the cliff was a red TR7 convertable... At least there's one less of those heaps out there!!
(unless its been sold on ebay and renovated!)

teeteringhead
13th Oct 2004, 07:42
Was that the one where somebody's deranged wife was wandering up and down the runway in her nightie during night flying?? Where are the snowdrops when you need 'em?;)

The Burning Bush
13th Oct 2004, 08:58
airman who gets beaten up by rockapes

Clearly a work of fiction then;)

El Mirador
13th Oct 2004, 09:58
Seem to remember it! Watching some guys MG being scraped up a wall by a JCB!!!!!!! Think it was a Channel Four jobby......
Either that or I dreamt the whole thing!:bored:

Griz
13th Oct 2004, 10:13
Tthead

'Friday On My Mind'. 618 Sqn GR1 crashes in Welsh valley after entering a CSAS bite (that would do the trick!). Widow blames ATC (who else?) gets intimate with effects officer and goes mad!

Easy, now ask me one on sport.

teeteringhead
13th Oct 2004, 10:26
Details for "Squadron" (http://www.action-tv.org.uk/guides/squadron.htm). Thanks Griz, but "Friday" doesn't seem to be one of those. Can't find the other one just yet...

Found "Friday" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0157224/) which seems to have been a stand alone two part drama.

BEagle
13th Oct 2004, 11:26
Which was the one featuring "Stitch that, you ba$tard!".........

NURSE
13th Oct 2004, 15:20
strike force was that the one that ended with the ejector seat of the tornado going off as the crew walked away????

ComJam
13th Oct 2004, 20:59
Nurse,

Yup that's the one, about the only bit I remember. Managed to sucessfully blank the rest from my mind :)

Lukeafb1
13th Oct 2004, 21:50
As some Ppruners might know, I was a television director for some 25 years.

Some years ago, I was interviewed by an exec producer, with a view to directing one of the series mentioned in this thread.

With 16 years in the RAF (in aviation), I was politely told, that I might try to make the series 'too realistic' if I was given the assignment.

A year later, I watched the first episode and within three minutes of the opening credits, a cpl WRAF, was being addressed as "sarge".

Yep, I think I would have been overly realistic!!!!!:E :E

tabmonkey01
16th Oct 2004, 23:46
wasn't strike force the excellently researched prog that featured a navigator claiming to have served on jags with a certain pilot....??:confused:

Pontius Navigator
17th Oct 2004, 10:56
I must have been in space, managed to miss them all. Were they as good as the RN series earlier this year with the well balanced Glaswegian Scot Captain with a chip on each shoulder and the anorexic, nymphonmaniac XO?

Not sure about the XO only got to see one episode and that probably by mistake.

Av18tor
18th Oct 2004, 22:50
PN...

Dont worry that you missed Strike Farce, just PM me your address and I'll send you the copy I have which, is planned for inclusion on the Guy Fawkes Day bonfire!! :ok: :ok:

MostlyHarmless
22nd Oct 2004, 16:23
Strike Force.. Hmmm Wasn't that supposed to be the pilot (sic) for a full series? Wonder where that went...

It was the highly credible Flt Sgt sourcing fresh coffee beans or something for the heroic StrikeForcians that always stuck in my mind - although the talented ATC doris covering everything from Local to Range Control with a bit of talk-down in between also rates.

Always_broken_in_wilts
22nd Oct 2004, 22:38
Read all the posts here..............some of you guys need to get out in the daylight.........or at least get a hobby:ok:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

insty66
22nd Oct 2004, 23:06
ABIW
Would that include you for reading all the posts?:E
:ok:

Seak1ng
28th Oct 2004, 19:02
And I think that the Tonka in Strike Force had a rather unique engine system which allowed you to see daylight right through the intakes. Not seen the same systme since!