PDA

View Full Version : Let's Fly Jeeeetstarrr!!

E.P.
12th Oct 2004, 01:11
Overheard the Jetstar boys at the Story bridge pub in Brisvegas yakking about employment. :)

Interviews this month for a lucky few............anyone had a call, or know more?? :ok:

Howard Hughes
12th Oct 2004, 01:16
:{ No call for me....
Perhaps because I ticked NO!!

Cheers, HH.
:ok:

The Librarian
12th Oct 2004, 12:05
Yeah had a call for an interview, a bit of a pay drop from my current gig but would be great to play with an Airbus again.

Anyone have any idea of the interview process???

Howard Hughes
12th Oct 2004, 23:40
Gidday Librarian,

You obviously have experience on the bus, just wondering what other qualifications you have??

Cheers, HH.

The Librarian
13th Oct 2004, 23:12
HH,

About 11000 total time, 8500 hours in multicrew (Left and Right seat) of which about 6000 is on B744, A320 and Bae146, a bit of instructing and too much beer drinking.

The Librarian

Laikim Liklik Susu
14th Oct 2004, 04:41
Seeing half the guys that paid for their endorsement on the A320 with J* have pissed off to other airlines, it is hardly surprising they need to re-employ.

I know more than a few J* punters, and I know 90% of them want out too.

Kaptin M
14th Oct 2004, 06:56
J* folk, how are those planned 20 minute turnarounds working out? :ugh:

If flights are running close to full pax capacity both ways, I would strongly suspectt that they are usually unachievable, impractical, and an indication of the lack of experience in airline operations of those responsible for putting them in place.

Howard Hughes
14th Oct 2004, 07:15
Thanks Librarian,

Nice numbers mate, looks like I'll be waiting by the phone a little longer.

Cheers, HH.

Laikim Liklik Susu
14th Oct 2004, 07:57
Kap,
Judging by the numbers of pax on some J8 sectors, I would imagine they would have perhaps 15 minutes spare!

Having said that, on other sectors they are running late (and sometimes missing curfew).

Ah well, if people want to work with them, that's their choice.

The Librarian
14th Oct 2004, 08:25
Keep plugging away HH. Your life can change in a 90 second phone call in this job. Just make sure your prepared for it when it happens:ok:

The Librarian

E.P.
15th Oct 2004, 02:26
MMMmmm...is the Librarian currently a QF s/o or EVA f/o?? :confused:

Which seat is being offered or expected?? Are there direct entry commands on offer?? ;)

Librarian, when (approx) is the interview and what does the process involve,i.e do you do the same as mainline QF; psych tests, medical, etc ?? :)

Finally, did you have a mate on the inside from the AN days, given that your are not current on 320 or 330/340 endorsed? (as asked on the website)

Thumbs up
17th Oct 2004, 07:25
For those ex-Ansett hopefuls, its a crap deal that's not aimed at attracting the A-320 endorsed masses.

For you EP,there are only 20 Commands of which 7 will go to Qantas punters,described as 'HOTSPOTS".The remaining 14 will go to (probably) ex-Ansett guys which will require you to cough up to be re-endorsed,then you will be placed at the rear of the seniority list whilst you serve your two year contract.
Then if your lucky you won't be displaced by junior First Officers and you'll keep your Command,but then,you'll have to wait....wait...wait to get your prized Brizzy position.

Ohh... and of coarse thats if you make it through the physc test,interview,group problem solving w#nk,medical and Sim, all of which you have to PAY for!!.

SUCK ON THEM LEMONS.

So EP your 14000 hours with however many thousand Command on the A-320,count for (mostly) jacksh!t.
Lastly just to add some hot chilli to go with that lemon,interviews for those 20 only Command positions are even going to some guys who have never held an A-320 Command.

So if you get a call up,go tell them to get r@@ted like some already have.:ok: :ok:

boocs
17th Oct 2004, 09:55
Just wondering if there might be any J* drivers attending KA interviews in MEL next month.............

E.P.
17th Oct 2004, 21:45
Sounds like a real... "Thumbs up bum deal" :\

Two Thumbs, you failed to mention my sparkling personality, extra large emulsifer, cabin cleaning ability and my secret ambition to bed Magna (during the advert)!!! :E

Thumbs up
18th Oct 2004, 03:22
AHHHhh yes....well I would have mentioned all that but after all this time I'm still only a two finger typer and that would have taken me another half an hour.

Beside,I knew you where going to mention it yourself.

Ohh,and might I add a definate poised presence on the small screen!!!.

:ok: :ok:

The Librarian
23rd Oct 2004, 10:17
EP

Sorry about taking time to reply, been away for awhile.
Whilst I am interviewing for a command position I would accept an FO position under my terms.

I believe that the full QF process is required unless you come from inside QF, then only a interview and discussion session will take place.

I must be tired I can't work out if I am making spelling mistakes or not.

E.P.
26th Oct 2004, 12:13
Thanks. So when do the interviews begin??

The Librarian
27th Oct 2004, 00:57
They have already started, A couple of mates had interviews last week.

E.P.
27th Oct 2004, 02:32
Geez for a handle of "Librarian" you sure are tight on the info old mate. What is the basic run down on the procedure? i.e Is it conducted in Sydney and did they do the whole QF drill (physc) , where is the sim check held (type) etc? Also where are these fellas flying now? Over.... :ok:

The Librarian
31st Oct 2004, 23:09
Sorry about the lack of info EP.

The interview was held in the Jetstar offices in Sydney. Candidates moving from QF do just a group session and a interview, whereas external applicants do a Sim (767-200???) and some other thing that I'm not sure of (maybe QF psyche test??)

Group session is run by SHL direct and involves a mock boardroom meeting to meet a budget for a start up airline. All applicants involved admited they were out of their depth and we all seemed to find no relevence at all between what airline pilots do and what was required in this meeting. Still greater minds than ours make these things up.

The interview was very huggy feelie. Tell us about yourself, Have you ever raised your voice at someone? Tell us about it, Did you feel better afterwards? do you hug trees? that sort of stuff. No tech questions at all. Interviewers seemed quite unsure of what they were doing, a lot of long pauses while they worked out what was the next question. I must admit I hate that sort of line of questioning where there are no correct answers, still greater minds.

There were six candidates per session, all the guys had a lot of jet time and bus time, I think four worked over seas trying to get home.

I'm not expecting a positive result from this one mainly because I have always been use to a more practical line of questioning, Eg Explain visual circling requirements? that sort of thing. Maybe I should get in touch with my feminine side (calling Mr Freud) I honestly think Jet* will one day be huge and all the best to them and to anyone who works for them. Would have loved to have flown le bus again, oh well back to the boeing.

The Librarian

Ultralights
2nd Nov 2004, 07:28
i know this is off topic, but why is your preference for the bus over the Boeing?

being an ex- engineer, i would always choose the boeing birds. what are the airbusses like to fly compared to the Boeing machines? if you do fly hands on?

The Librarian
2nd Nov 2004, 08:03
Ultralights,

It really comes down to the old ford verses holden debate.

I prefer the airbus for a number of reasons. Mainly because of the flight decks ergonomic design and operation it is an easy and comfortable work environment. The sidestick is very natural feeling and takes little or no time to get the feel of. It can be a little strange in crosswinds though.

I was offered the 737 and A320 at the same time and so took the opportunity one evening to sit in both flightdecks. The 737 did not feel very comfortable at all whereas the 320 seemed to me to make more sense, the choice seemed easy at the time.

Contrary to popular belief the Airbus does hand fly very nicely (if you can call it hand flying). My scan did suffer dramaticallly on the 320 though compared to previous aircraft I had flown.

Now I am on the 744 I am glad I have the chance to compare the two products. Whilst there are many aspects I enjoy about the 744, as a place which I spend 850 hours a year of my time in I still find flying the Airbus a much more pleasurable experience.

This is a discussion that obviously people will have differing views and I have no desire to get involved in a Boeing verses Airbus argument, both companies make great aircraft. You would find though that the majority of people I have encounted who have flown both types prefer the bus.

ALthough, I have never flown the 777 and that looks bl*&dy magnificant.

Cheers The Librarian
;)

Keg
2nd Nov 2004, 12:54
Lets just hope that we all get the chance to tick that little box Librarian! :}

E.P.
3rd Nov 2004, 22:39
Thanks Lib. and good luck. Were you a checkie? ( Just that seems to be a high number of ex-checkies getting a look in.) :ok:

The Librarian
4th Nov 2004, 03:52
No but at least two of the guys who were there the day I was were checkies.

Hugh Jarse
5th Nov 2004, 04:51
whereas external applicants do a Sim (767-200???) and some other thing that I'm not sure of (maybe QF psyche test??)

Correctamundo, Mr. Librarian.;)

The Librarian
6th Nov 2004, 09:53
Thanks Hugh.

I must admit I was pretty impressed with the experience that some of the guys going for the job had. Still a lot of depth out there. One bloke I was talking to said he would take a 75% pay drop to move back to Oz from his Asian job but he couldn't wait to get home.

Puts things into perspective.