PDA

View Full Version : What's the policy of LGBT in the services?

Bootz4u2
10th Oct 2004, 23:48
Hi,

I'm trying to find out the stance of how LGBT service personnel is treated/accepted/acknowledged within the Armed services.

Can anyone help? I'm not interested in whether it is right or wrong, just want to know information.

Any messages are held in the strictest confidence. And thanks for reading this.

Regards,

F.

beerdrinker
11th Oct 2004, 06:23
Another journo after another shock horror story about the services.

Why do you not creep back to your reptillian nest.

rivetjoint
11th Oct 2004, 07:31
Or even if you aren't a journo you'll have understood why you got the reply you did now?

airborne_artist
11th Oct 2004, 07:33
Another journo after another shock horror story about the services.

BD

I share your loathing of journos trawling for a story, but perhaps you have not checked the poster's profile. He states that he is a MoD employee.

BEagle
11th Oct 2004, 07:35
They get blown away......

We are talking about Laser Guided Bomb Targets, aren't we?

Well, what reply did you expect?

Gainesy
11th Oct 2004, 07:59
Hmm, wonder if LGB has had to change his monika?:)

Training Risky
11th Oct 2004, 09:02
With reference to your request for information on b*an flick*rs, sh*rtlift*rs, AC/DCs, and the generally confused, here is what you want:

Any gayz or puffs wanting to join the military are bullied, abused, and forced out because we don't want them. We are all bigoted, white, straight, god-fearing middle-class men and the MoD needs a good shake-up....blah blah......needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century......blah blah.......unacceptable behaviour......blah.

Well is that what you were looking for Bootz4U? Best send this stuff to the Grauniad, they'll pay top-dollar for it!

Instead of worrying about some of the best protected minorities in the government, how's about you concentrate on getting my sandy-type coloured kit sorted out?!

(Oh by the way, before I get reported to the Thought Police, this was an IRONIC post.)

Edited for spoooooooooling

airborne_artist
11th Oct 2004, 09:13
We are talking about Laser Guided Bomb Targets, aren't we?

No Beagle, this is a forum for lovers of fighting hardware, remember and we are discussing Large German Battle Tanks, such as the Tiger and the Leopard II - both fearsome beasts in their time!

http://www.2worldwar2.com/images/king-tiger.jpg

http://www.waffenhq.de/panzer/leopard2a4_01.JPG

Hueymeister
11th Oct 2004, 10:37
Airborne...you need help!!!!!!!!!!

Av18tor
11th Oct 2004, 10:59
Airborne...

Just 'cos he said he was MOD in his profile, does that mean that he didn't lie when writing it??

Mmmm have to agree with everyone elses posts... Snoop elsewhere!

Pprune... Professional Pilots Rumour Network... Where do Tanks come into it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

airborne_artist
11th Oct 2004, 11:14
Pprune... Professional Pilots Rumour Network... Where do Tanks come into it?

Tanks = jobs for Apache pilots

Just 'cos he said he was MOD in his profile, does that mean that he didn't lie when writing it??

Indeed - like you I was not assuming anything, which is why I then took the p*ss out of the horrendous PC-isim that surrounds the "people who are not straight" issue and the initials that undoubtedly emanate from a "workshop" in San Francisco.

Skippys list (http://www.skippyslist.com/skippylist.html) rule 178 applies.

StopStart
11th Oct 2004, 12:11
Airborne, judging by the pictures, surely you mean King Tiger? Although the basic Tiger was also a fearsome weapon.

This anorak is getting tight.....

LGBT? Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans-sexual? I'm guessing but is that what it stands for?

:confused:

Gainesy
11th Oct 2004, 12:16
Suspiciously good guess Stoppers.:suspect:

(I had to look it up, honest. But then, I remember when workshops were places full of lathes & stuff).

BEagle
11th Oct 2004, 12:17
I had to google to find out, Stoppers, as I though it was either an aerodrome in Greece or someone's SelCal code. But it seems that you're right - it's some freaks' acronym.

Very smart anorak - with all those lovely badges. Goes nicely with your little aluminium stepladder!

AllTrimDoubt
11th Oct 2004, 13:01
Ye Gods...have just Googled this one myself and found out what it stands for. Heavens protect us...

airborne_artist
11th Oct 2004, 13:11
But then, I remember when workshops were places full of lathes & stuff

But my workshop does have a vice (':ok:')

Lionel Lion
11th Oct 2004, 13:11
I thought LGBT was going to be a code for a Greek airport:E

airborne_artist
11th Oct 2004, 13:15
I thought LGBT was going to be a code for a Greek airport

It is - it's the ICAO for Lesbos.

Gainesy
11th Oct 2004, 13:18
A-A,
Thanks mate, keyboard covered in tea.:)

StopStart
11th Oct 2004, 14:09
Hmmmm, that was a suspiciously good guess then, you're right.
Do I win a bun? .......just double checking the spelling on that......

:ok:

a_a you will of course burn in hell for that one :D :D :D :D

BEagle
11th Oct 2004, 14:10
a-a, unfortunately not true. But it should be!

Lesbos airport is actually LGMT (or MJT in mover-speak).

Real name is Mitilini/Odysseas-Elytis, but Lesbos slips rather more easily off the tongue. Eh girls?

tradewind
11th Oct 2004, 14:18
Regardless of who Bootz is, you have to laugh at the comment:

'Any messages are held in the strictest confidence'

BEagle
11th Oct 2004, 15:09
In the confidence of Bootz - and the rest of the English speaking world, no doubt?

Wigan Warrior
11th Oct 2004, 15:37
A-A :D Thanks, with a tear in my eye and a soggy keyboard, I went to Ops to leaf through a copy of the En Route Supp (Europe / Med) to check for Airfields in Lesbos, only to be told "p155 off" as ".....we've non left, we got £5 each for them on ebay!"
So, I had to ask Group Captain Google:
He told me 'Nea Anchialos' (LGBL) was the nearest thing he knew of.
Whilst messing with Google I found this airfield - RAF Kinnell (disused obv.)...... must have had a very short runway "kin'ell that was close!"

Bo Nalls
11th Oct 2004, 18:59
Ok, not for those of a nervous disposition but...

entering "Bootz4u2" into google gave this hit (http://gayfirefighters.com/Personals/Ads/Europe_Asia.htm). Check out the ad about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Seems his particular 'intrest' is uniforms. Maybe he's only here in pprune on a fishing exped?? :confused: :confused:

StopStart
11th Oct 2004, 19:08
Cheers for that BEags..... could I ask that you put a slightly more prominent warning in your post.....

:uhoh:

Bootz4u2
11th Oct 2004, 20:11
So I'm meant to crawl back under the carpet and forget about everything, everything that those sad individuals that you paint a mask and a face on and don't fall within your "pictorial" view point did for your country - prior to your birth, what they did to the world, what they gave up all for the sake of someone else.

Sorry can't do that - I know what I want to change - I can't change your views, didn't want to and - oh by the way if you cared to read the profile you would have noticed what is written on there is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, unlike this title of this website, which is not.

Thank you for your comments, it's pleasing to know that there are some sad cases out there that need their views changed - and oh I do love a challenge...

R

airborne_artist
11th Oct 2004, 20:29
Bootz

The description on the JetBlast forum says:

PPRuNe crew room or the down-route bar after a long day. Topics that don't fit the other forums. Chill out with a joke or get stuck in a heated debate. Civilization does NOT end here but stay out if you are faint hearted.

Much the same applies here.

If you've served in the Military you'll know the score.

Archimedes
11th Oct 2004, 20:36
Bootz - you turn up on the site and, as your first contribution, post a question phrased so that it could have come straight from someone not doing very well at journalism college.

Since profiles aren't given under oath, how on earth (and more to the point why) should users of the site be convinced that your profile is genuine?

As A-A says, if you've served in (or worked with) the military, you should know the score. If you've come here with preconceived notions that mean you see banter, etc as nothing more than blatant homophobia, neatly confirming your views, then I fear you're not going to get very far with this.

Wigan Warrior
11th Oct 2004, 21:15
Bootz, I have no idea what you are talking about. Seriously. I am confused.
Painting peoples faces? Masks?
It sounds to me like you’re away with the fairies? You’re not making any sense.
I read some of the replies to your question, they amused me, the banter on here often does, and that’s why I have kept an eye on this thread.
You speak of the truth, yet your 1st of only 2 posts ends “Regards F”, your 2nd ends “R”. What is the truth?
What does your profile mean?
You ask for opinions of people from the armed services – does this mean you are not in the Forces? If you are not, then why do you want to know about opinions of service personnel about gender / sexual bias…unless you’re a journo? If you are a journo say so – tell the truth.
I don’t pretend to be neutral on this issue. In my book God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. But that doesn’t mean I want to fight with anyone that isn’t ‘straight’.
The title of this website (which you question as being not true) is the professional pilots rumour network – the rumour amongst a number of pro pilots in here is that you’re a journo! That probably winds up the people in here more than your issues with sexuality….and is probably why you are not being taken too seriously.

BTW... In answer to your original question - HMG
is an equal opportunities employer. That's the policy. Check out what 'The Boss' says: http://www.mod.uk/issues/equal_opportunities/intro.htm

Training Risky
11th Oct 2004, 21:36
Hi guyz,

Str8 good-looking guy with good bod and droopy 'tache here. WLTM air force men with flying suits, (bumz cut out) for good times and fun. No head games! Live/work in Cambs area - up for a meet? Not actively gay - just curious - R U my dream pilot? Any ages, 20-60 considered - Merlin m8s especially sought (NO VC-10 pilots tho'! - too brusque)

Hope 2 speak soon, love to all U hunky pilot m8s,

Training Risque;)

PS: On a more serious point - hatz off to Bootz for posting a mature-sounding retort and not flouncing off throwing his teddies around like A LOT of first time posters do on here when they receive banter.
Bootz - most of us here are NOT homophobic, just sincerely p*ssed off with the amount of PC-cr*p awareness training that we have to endure in the military and being told how to think and behave a la '1984'.
If you do work for DLO Andover as your profile suggests, you should realise this. Good luck in your search for the right type of uniform (Either in the DLO or on g*yfirefighters.com - NOW THAT'S BANTER!!!);)

Apologies to Beagle about the VC-10 joke.

PPS: Bootz, I am going to take a gamble and venture an explanation for your phrase "putting masks on those who lived before your birth (sic)" Are you refering to the alleged amount of homosexuality that abounded amongst the empire-building gents of the Victorian era and the early 1900's???
(I have read that T E Lawrence and Monty were raging flamers!)

Charlie Luncher
11th Oct 2004, 22:53
Booties

Just checking you were not put up to this by some truckie/tanka types so they could cx out some dodgy websites in the name of "research":8 .
Charlie sends

teeteringhead
12th Oct 2004, 08:39
Just in case this was a serous enquiry, I'll (for a change) try and give a serious answer.

The policy has already been stated, and it is of no account whether or not I agree with it, it remains the policy.

Speaking from (mostly) SH experience, and knowing what a bunch of barabary louts they/we are, I can report the following.

Have worked with gays of both sexes (before and after pink wednesday), and transsexuals. General opinion seems to be: "so what, if they do their job well and don't try and ram their preferences down my throat (fnar fnar)".

Mind you, exactly the same goes for anyone who forcefully proseletyses (sp) anything, be it pro/anti hunting, UKIP, gay rights or whatever. Get on with the job and what your proclivities are remain your business - if they don't affect your ability to do the job. But if you shout about it (whatever IT is), you risk p!$$ing us off. Non-rant over.

And speaking of hunting ...... recall many years ago at EGVO a mess member who hunted arrive in the bar on a sunday lunchtime in the full gear - assembled hungover company duly windowed him - for breaking mess rules being in the bar in sports kit!:ok: