PDA

View Full Version : ****** - Australia

airowe
10th Oct 2004, 09:39
I have applyed for a cadetship at ****** Airlines in Australia, it is a 12 month program and they guantee 12months employment is this just a scheme to get 12 months of cheap F/O employees? or can you be pilot in command in this time"? any information would help?

when it says ****** Refer to M_A_C_A_I_R

Tinstaafl
10th Oct 2004, 14:11
If they're operating an aircraft that requires two pilots then, no, you can't be PIC in that time. Presuming you start with 0 hours, do ~200 + a bit in training (even 250) then work for a year and do *maximum* hours you still won't have achieved at least the 1500 hrs needed for ATPL. An ATPL is a prerequisite to be PIC for a two crew type a/c.

Similarly you also need at least 250 hrs command time for the ATPL. You'll have 70 hrs post training then all your working time with be co-pilot time so short on that aspect as well.

I tend to see these sorts of schemes as a cheap way for them to get co-pilots. You don't have a permanent job at the end of it, just a bunch of co-pilot time & insufficient command time to advance your licence.

Wizofoz
10th Oct 2004, 14:21
airowe,

I don't think there would be ANYWHERE in Australia/Newzealand where you'll get a Multi-crew PIC job with less than 2500hrs, including substantial amounts of single pilot command time. It is a different scene there, and I would do some research before commiting to an expensive "Cadet" scheme.

Rich-Fine-Green
10th Oct 2004, 20:54
Airowe:

If you choose the McAir cadet program, expect to further invest in your career after the 12 month F/O tour.

It is unlikely you will get a start anywhere else - as I understand the training aircraft used are Mooneys and Duchess (aside from the useless f/o time).

EngineOut
10th Oct 2004, 23:31
No, you have absoultely no chance of a command, not even after 2 or 3 years.

Besides the fact that you need 1500hrs (aeronautical experience), FO time is only woth 50% so you would need nearly 3000 hrs co-pilot time. Let alone the fact that you would have next to no command time and no multi command time. Besides the regualtory hurdles, you also have insurance minimums and operator's minimums.

airowe
12th Oct 2004, 06:06
Cheers for the help