PDA

View Full Version : FAA/JAA advice please

six-sixty
10th Oct 2004, 07:55
Morning all, I'm considering going the FAA to JAA CPL/IR conversion route once exams done in Dec.

I'd really like to get in touch with anyone who has specific experience good ir bad of specific US schools for the CPL/IR, and who also may be able to recommend (or not) any UK schools who have experience doing the conversion over here afterwards.

Any help will be much appreciated.

SS

Charlie Zulu
10th Oct 2004, 09:10
Hi Six-sixty,

I'll also be interested in recommendations for conversion schools here in the UK.

There are many schools in the USA who have good recommendations, the best idea is to contact the schools you are interested in and ask for contact details of past students who have been on courses that you are interested in.

Also, don't limit yourself to the FAA route as some people also recommend the Canadian licence (which is also ICAO) and then conversion to JAA.

At the moment I have the FAA CPL/IR SE ME and am currently going through the ATPL examinations.

All the best,

Charlie Zulu.

birdlady
10th Oct 2004, 11:44
Hi Six Sixty

I've just fininshed my PPl here in Sa and was going to do my SA CPL, build some hours and then go back to the Uk and convert to JAA. Its pretty difficult to convert and its going to take more time in the long run to convert ICAO into JAA so decided I would go back to Ireland once Ive fininshed my hour building and do my CPL/Multi Ir there. However, if you look on the oxford's website they offer a conversion from an ICAO Multi IR to JAA Multi IR for just over 3,000 pounds. I suppose if you consider what it costs for Multi IR in the Uk it would be cheaper to do ICAO and then convert. Im not to sure what the conversion rules are for CPL and what it costs but Im sure if you contact Oxford they'll be able to help you.

Hope this helps
Ciao BL :ok: :ok:

WX Man
10th Oct 2004, 20:11
I recommend you go to Riverside Flight Centre for the FAA IR. Then go to Airways Flight Training in Exeter to convert. They use the same checklists and BE76 (Beech Duchess)aircraft fitted out exactly the same way- you'll end up very well prepared for the JAA IRT.

FWIW, I went to Riverside and ended up doing a CPL/IR (ME) and then converted the IR with BCFT in Bournemouth, who were also very good. Given the benefit of hindsight I would have done the CPL with Oxford Aviation Training in Phoenix.

Any more info, give me a ring (I've PM'd you my number). I won't be checking my email for about until about 20th October now, so this is the easiest way. The route you're taking is almost exactly the same route as I've taken.

BillieBob
10th Oct 2004, 20:44
However, if you look on the oxford's website they offer a conversion from an ICAO Multi IR to JAA Multi IR for just over 3,000 pounds. Provided, of course, that you take only the minimum hours and pass the skill test first time - a feat that, perhaps, 10% achieve.

six-sixty
11th Oct 2004, 12:30
Very useful help, thanks very much everybody. This is actually my plan B in case a certain Spanish FTO doesn't get its story straight on its modular plans for next year!

likair
24th May 2005, 20:10
Hello ppl,

Can anyone do an ICAO PPL (Faa PPL), hour build and then continue to do the JAR-FCL ATPL written exams and then up to CPL/ME IR?

Is it possible to do this?
Is that the way to do it?

Where can I find this query on the CAA LASORS 2005?

Thanks for your attention and help!!!

Regards
L|kA|r

tasleon
25th May 2005, 09:59
hi all,

i have converted my FAA CPL/IR to JAA and know what needs to be done and the cheapest way to do it.

Check out a topic "icao - jaa" further down the list on this forum i posted it and anyone needing additional info just drop me a mail at: [email protected] for a more detail analysis on personal basis.

Leon

likair
25th May 2005, 12:37
Hey tasleon

Thanks for your attention!

I will take notice...

Cheers
Likair

likair
25th May 2005, 19:54
Hello again

My exact query: Is an ICAO PPL (FAA) appropriate to start JAA ATPL exams and continue with JAA CPL ME/IR?

I've read it does not matter whether you go for a JAA-PPL or FAA-PPL as the further training will add on it...

Am i right?

It was also discussed
here (http://pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=159506&highlight=bristol+distance+learning)

Where can I find it? LASORS? CAA? JAA?

Any information??

Reagrds
L|kA|r