PDA

View Full Version : Aussie's with JAA!!

Artful Dodger
9th Oct 2004, 09:51
Are there any Aussie's out there that have been through the pains taking task of acquiring a JAA?
I'm contemplating doing the theory by correspondence and doing a check on a particular aicraft o/s.
Any suggestions would greatly appreciated!!!

DEOne
9th Oct 2004, 10:23
A point to bear in mind is that you can buy an English language course from many non-english speaking (JAA Member) countries. The material is as good as any and the cost can be as much as 60% cheaper than using UK based schools. I know; I did it.

druglord
9th Oct 2004, 11:50
get ready for a ton of superfluous information. I've heard they've got stuff like knowing morse code and learning the radius that must be snow-plowed around a VOR...

...and I thought the Aussie ATPL had pointless learning.

DEOne
9th Oct 2004, 13:25
Well that's not completely true! In Spain that question is worded to the extent that you have to know what radius to mow around the VOR and in Sweden it's the snow plough. It is interesting to note however, that the answers for the two questions are not the same. :cool:

Luke SkyToddler
9th Oct 2004, 13:49
redsnail is the undisputed master of this. search for some of her many posts and all will become clear.

Whatever you do don't waste your money on a second-hand JAA theory course CDROM from Ebay or whatever else it is you've found, cos it won't do you any good at all. You can't just sign up to sit the JAA ATPL exams, you have to first meet the requirement of you being enrolled on a course at a JAA approved groundschool and completing the minimum 650 hour course of study for the ATPL writtens and getting a certificate to that effect, before you're even allowed to take the exams.

Artful Dodger
10th Oct 2004, 08:09
Thanks guys for your feedback. Sounds like I'm on to the snail trail- the "red snail" that is!!

DEOne - just wondering how you found the content of the language course. More importantly how'd you go in the end? :D

DEOne
10th Oct 2004, 09:15
QUOTE: You can't just sign up to sit the JAA ATPL exams

Well actually Luke SkyToddler; that's not completely true. JAR-FCL 1.016(b) states: The holder of an ATPL(A) issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 who meets the 1500 hours flying experience requirements on multi-pilot airoplanes as PIC or co-pilot of Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.015 may be exempted from the requirements to undergo approved training prior to undertaking the theoretical knowledge examinations and the skill test, if that licence contains a valid multi-pilot type rating for the aeroplane to be used for the ATPL(A) skill test.

The bottom line is that if you hold the ICAO ATPL and have sufficient experience, you can buy your CD or book course, study at home and pass in a flash.

One thing: despite what the prophets of doom will tell you; the JAR ATPL theory is a walk-in-the-park compared to the Oz and SA exams.

Yes; I breezed 'em, in one foul swoop. :ok:

Luke SkyToddler
10th Oct 2004, 17:58
Yep you're right DEone. The only way that you won't have to do the full ATPL course, is if you already have a full ICAO ATPL and >1500 hours on multi pilot aircraft over 30 tons. How generous is that of the JAA :rolleyes:

DEOne
10th Oct 2004, 19:41
The 30 tons is only applicable in the UK (their own personal contribution toward maintaining their status as God's personal custodians of aviation safety). That's the great thing about the JAA! Each country is entitled to apply their own differences. So, if you applied in Holland; be prepared for huge differences that may make life a load easier. As we all know; the cloggies don't do much bulls:mad:t!

assymetric
11th Oct 2004, 09:58
DEOne check your pm's

shaablamm
11th Oct 2004, 22:13
A good mate of mine just finished all that is required and sometimes posts on here. You can look him up under the name of VIRGA. Im sure he wouldn't mind getting a PM from you and would beable to help you out.

assymetric
18th Oct 2004, 12:51
DEOne,

sent u a message check your pm's please

Thanks

yyzdub
22nd Oct 2004, 19:49
I did my CPL training in New Zealand and did the conversion to the JAA writing the ATPL theory and to be honest, yeah there is a lot of pointless information but eventhough it's difficult to decide what you need to know and what you don't, none of the pointless stuff is tested.

The only difference b/w the JAA exams and say NZ or CASA is one the amount of exams - 14 in total and the amount of information, however I would say the testing isn't any different as far as difficulty. If you find the some to be really tough and find yourself moaning about all the information you have to sort through then flying may not be the profession for you - it's all worth the time in the end.

As far as doing the course via a distance learning is good idea but keep in mind, you have to do 4 weeks of in class work - 2 weeks for each module with the school who applies to the local authority where you intend to write the exams ie. if you write the exams in Ireland, the school must apply to the IAA for you to sit the exams and the only way schools will apply to have you sit the exams is that you must do the consolidation courses with them.

yyzdub