PDA

View Full Version : RAAF 200 Course Graduation

VC9
6th Oct 2004, 04:57
I have been advised that No. 200 RAAF Pilot's Course is to graduate at RAAF Pearce around 10 December 2004.

They intend to invite graduates from No. 100 RAAF Pilot's Course and any QFI's that were involved with No. 100 RAAF Pilot's Course.

I've been asked to provide any contacts that I might have for QFI's that were at RAAF Pearce during that time. No 100 Course graduated in September 1977.

Milt
6th Oct 2004, 06:31
VC9

How about ?

Billie Hicks C Canberra
Chesty Coolangatta
Mick Parer Holbrook

There are still a few of us graduates of No 1 course (1949) eagerly waiting to help launch the Graduates of No 200 course towards the sharp end of the RAAF.

Are you able to arrange some invitations and RAAF transportation from the Eastern States.?

slice
6th Oct 2004, 08:03
MILT - just out of interest how was it organised prior to 1949 ?

Was everybody just trained ASAP for the war effort ?

Milt
6th Oct 2004, 12:02
slice

ASAP or sooner. It was a massive training effort to replace huge losses in the European bombing and to allow a rapid build up of the Allied air forces. Training was barely enough for the tasks so there was plenty of on the job training.

During WW2 Down Under there were 65 RAAF aircrew training courses.
Started with about 6 weeks rookies then
3 months ITS Initial Traning Schools - all ground subjects.
EFTS Elementary Flying Training Schools - mostly on Tiger Moths
AFTS Advanced Flying Training Schools - Wirraways - the RAAF's front line fighter to about 1942. One actually downed a Jap Zero.
OTU Operational Training Units
OPS Most went to England. Most of these did not survive..

Many went to Canada for their flying trainig.

VC9
8th Oct 2004, 04:28
RAAF Pearce contact for the above is Plt Off Ducan Glover email [email protected]