PDA

View Full Version : Outback Flying - The Low Down

hsvrox
6th Oct 2004, 04:13
Gidday guys... ;)

I'm currently doing the student-pilot-hard-yards-work-ya-arse-off thing that we've all done working towards a CPL and MEIR.

Just a few questions regarding 'outback flying'. I'm pretty interested in getting into something along these lines as a first job etc. but am not quite sure about everything.

Firstly...
- What are the job prospects like in this area?
- What are the minimum requirements?
- Who are the bets people to approach regarding employment?
- Where would you recommend to do Low Level & mustering endorsements?

And for guys who've been there and done it (or doing it)...
- What's the life like?
- Was it worth it in the long run?
- What possibilities of light twin jobs are there following a couple of years of this?

Any information and experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks heaps!

HSVROX :)

newbe200
6th Oct 2004, 12:44
1. Its very hot
2. Try Stanbroke Pastoral Company

Jamair
6th Oct 2004, 13:09
Newbe you must BE a newbe - Stanbroke is gee-ay-double-u-enn GAWN mate.

Yes it is hot.

Yes it is worth it (depending what 'it' is to you).

Jobs are where you find them, minimums are variable, you need to know how to handle stock before you can air muster; talk to Wiz of Auz.

janesays
7th Oct 2004, 09:29
Do they hire mustering pilots straight out of CPL?
It can be great fun flying charter in the bush but also very hard work, there will be some character building descisions to make as well, all in all I think it is a great experience.
I reckon it would be heaps easier to land a charter job in the top end if you had 500hrs rather than 300 (they call me Einstein) and would recomend dropping jumpers for the up coming summer to get to 500, if you went up there now there is a good chance that when Feb roles around you'll still have the same number of hours you have now but will be in debt , if u cruise around all the small drop zones in QLD and NSW now you could well find yourself in a 182 on Xmas day, havin a massive party after with crazy jumpers and maybe getting paid $100 as well!Its coming up to busy time for the jumpers.
Hope that gets you thinking, timing can be very important.

Foxtrot_Lima_Mike
7th Oct 2004, 17:34
And would someone be able to tell me where should I head to get a job flying C210s...I'm mentionning C210s because I've got a few hours on the aircraft...

Regards,
FLM

185skywagon
8th Oct 2004, 04:35
janesays,
unless you have 100 hours in type(ie what you would be mustering in) you wouldn't get a look in because, if they are using 182's, you would need at least 100 hours in them before you could do your mustering endorsement. the next 300 hours are probably the most dangerous phase for someone starting out in this. someone like wiz will probably disagree, but you really are in the phase where you learn a lot on your own.
skywagon.

the wizard of auz
12th Oct 2004, 03:30
Dunno how yoU drew that conclusion. I agree 100%.
Most of the blokes that get kilt doing this job are around that hour mark. :confused:
there is far more to it than bashing around the scrub at bugger all feet scaring hell out of stock, yourself and station hands. the rating will only give you a very basic grounding of the skills required, and then its gently gently, go out and learn.

Care to enlighten me 185skywagon?

OpsNormal
12th Oct 2004, 03:49
Skywagon. Yer never want to see wizzy in an 'enlightened' state. I have, after more than just a few bourbons and it was never a pretty thing... but sincerely entertaining nonetheless! :}

Run while you still can! :}

Just kidding. :ok:

As to the original question asked by hsv, I met a fella on a Barkly Tableland station who is a ringer, but uses the stations C182 as a quote: "ute" to go and check bores and scoot into Tennant Crk etc. Don't hold much with the legality aspect of it, but he reckons he's only got a PPL with 140hrs.

Believe it or not he job was advertised in the paper.

Regards,

OpsN. ;)

Fifthleg
12th Oct 2004, 06:39
Hsvrox, I did my low level at Parkes Aero Club back in Aug 2000. Chaps name was Glen....(can't remember the last bit). Cost was $1200. I can tell you that being low to the ground is serious fun and draining!

Cheers!

newbe200
13th Oct 2004, 10:51
Mate, I know they were sold but same bloddy company in everybody's eyes.

Q. Who does Neil work for?
A. Stanbroke

I challenge you to find anybody to answer that differently

Newbe200 tries hard to make people to understand he is not new.

poteroo
13th Oct 2004, 12:32
Low Level Training

As both Wiz and 185 Skywagon have noted, mustering work is going to need some prior stock knowledge, and you'll need good 'on-the-job' training. You won't get this by being employed as a ringer on a teach yourself basis - you'll just feature in the ATSB review.

To start off you'll need as a bare minimum, a low level course of training NB -it's not an endorsement or a rating, and there is variation between flying schools in terms of both the course content and length. After this, you begin to learn on the job mustering.

CAO 29.10 indicates the CASA requirements, but believe me, you'll have to learn a whole heap more than that indicates to get thru most current low level courses. Expect to spend upwards of 5 hrs at it. With the usual low skills at 100-150 hrs, don't expect to do it under 6 hrs.

The low level courses are, more or less, a mix from the 1st 10 hrs of the ag rating sequences. It's not playschool stuff.

Many pilots simply can't hack it at low level, and end up turning very pale, going rather quiet, and asking to land asap. At this stage, quit unless you are bloody determined.

happy days,

the wizard of auz
13th Oct 2004, 22:37
As well as the low level training, you will require a Mustering Rating. usually a 10 hour course in how to stay alive while carrying out a pretty mundane sort of job. the novelty of low flying will wear off after about 20 hours, then its all about getting the job done and keeping the customer happy. the biggest part of staying alive in this game is the same as most other parts of the flying game. be careful, learn the limits of your aircraft, learn your own limits, don't take unnecessary risks (like buzzing station hands, jillaroos, ect.......they only think its funny once, then they think your a dangerous dickwit).
I personally don't think its a time building job, I think its a job to take very seriousely as a full time type of job, like ag flying.
but hey, its only my opinion. lots of others have done it to build time and gotten away with it.

Hey RV, say G'day to Arnold for me. :ok:

Edited due to phat phingas

tinpis
14th Oct 2004, 00:56
And never look a ringer in the eye in a boozer.

:}

the wizard of auz
14th Oct 2004, 02:06
Unless of course, like myself, your bigger than most ringers and have the uncanny ability to drink rum/bourbon in unheard of quantitys. :E they like that!.

Feeton Terrafirma
15th Oct 2004, 03:54
rum/bourbon in unheard of quantitys

I can vouch for Wiz's ability here :D

tinpis
15th Oct 2004, 03:56
Spose yer got a drovers boy too wizzer?

:E

185skywagon
16th Oct 2004, 00:44
wiz,
nothing meant.;) just noticed that you like to play devils advocate sometimes.
cracker

the wizard of auz
17th Oct 2004, 17:27
Feets, maaaate, long time. where ya bin?.
Tinpis, sure do. she got titties but. :}
Skywagon, you noticed huh? :E