PDA

View Full Version : special needs children in Hong Kong

Pickle14
4th Oct 2004, 18:55
I am writing to ask if anyone here knows of availability of programs in Hong Kong for kids with special needs, specifically Down Syndrome. I am applying to Cathay Pacific, and if I do get the job and relocate to Hong Kong I need to know about this, as our newborn has Down Syndrome, and here in the US there are good programs for early intervention but I have not been able to find any info yet about Hong Kong.

So if anyone has any info, maybe who has a child with Down Syndrome and is in Hong Kong, please let me know.

The availability of programs would weigh very very heavily in our decision to take a job in Hong Kong.

Thank you very much for any info you may have.

shortly
5th Oct 2004, 05:53
Surprisingly there are a number of very reputable programmes and institutions in Hong Kong catering for the special child. I know, been there done that. A good website to look up is;
www.expathongkong.com/startup/Needs.htm
This site talks about the program being run at the Matilda hospital, the Watchdog early learning and development centre and others. There is no more discrimination here than anywhere else. It's funny isn't it, we parents with special children know that the ones with the handicap are the onlookers and not our kids.

Fragman88
7th Oct 2004, 00:17
Well said Shortly

:ok:

Just an other number
7th Oct 2004, 15:50
Take a look at this very well known and respected special school in HK -
http://www.esf.edu.hk/schools/jcsrs.html
Suggest you may wish to contact the school and find out more.
Regards.
JAON

patslam
9th Oct 2004, 12:36
If you can read Chinese, go to the website:

http://www.hk-dsa.org.hk

If you can't read Chinese, send an e-mail to the following:

[email protected]

The above are the contacts of the Down Syndrome Association in Hong Kong. The e-mail address I posted is the contact to the Resource center for parents. And this organization can also provide you with other local information about services like child assessment, future placements like school, day activity center, sheltered workshop and so on. Do try it!

Pickle14
9th Oct 2004, 22:38
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am checking all the leads you have supplied me with, we appreciate it!!

Mike and family