PDA

View Full Version : FAA Question- Help is needed

EF2020
4th Oct 2004, 18:19
Hello everybody, I was wondering if anybody out there could help me on this....

I have my 2nd AFCO interview soon, and I have done significant research on current affairs etc- however, I will ceratinly be challenged with the question:

"Why do you want to join the Fleet Air Arm as a pilot, rather than the Army Air Corps, or the RAF?"

I have a few responses I can think of, but they are not specific, and I can't just say "i like the idea of being at sea!" You understand?!

If anybody could help me, that would be marvellous,

Feneris
4th Oct 2004, 18:52
Tell your AFCO that no well informed person would choose to become a crab. Thats settling for second best, a jack easy Officer training course, a bland uniform and soon redundancy. Their only new toy is outdated and outclassed and soon to be shelved by the hundred.

FAA however have got a world class new Merlin heli, new ships and new carriers on the way with the world class JSF. You'd also be joining at the right time for a later transfer from the helo world to JSF.... unless of course you are streamed Harrier initally. The RN are continually involved in world wide ops, from anti drugs ops in the Carribean, peace support ops in Africa and the Middle East, continual patrols in the North and South Atlantic, Falklands and Antarctic..... see the full list on the RN website.

You're also choosing to join the Senior Service, the Fleet Air Arm being a very proud part of it. If you meet/visit/witness the difference between the characters that make up the FAA versus those that make up the civvies in uniform.... I mean the RAF, you'll have a strong list of reasons why you'd rather start wearing dark blue.

Army's got some neat kit too, but if you fly Apache it will usually be at night, and you may not want to fly pongo's about all day in a Lynx/Gazelle.

althenick
4th Oct 2004, 20:01
EF2020

Tell your AFCO that no well informed person would choose to become a crab. Thats settling for second best, a jack easy Officer training course, a bland uniform and soon redundancy. Their only new toy is outdated and outclassed and soon to be shelved by the hundred.

... For gods sake mate don't say it like this! the RN with its depleted air resources have to rely on the Crabs (at present anyway) and the Teeny weenies for that matter to provide materiel and manning on her Majesty's Tubs. And as much as I agree with what Feneris is saying, I dont think the the Interview board is going to want someone who could potentially destroy frigile working relationships with the Brylcreem Brotherhood with a word in the wrong place. Also for the same reason the Crabs are going to sea so the 'We do it better because we do it at sea' line wont cut with a bunch of Fish Heads.

By all means Tell the board you want to be the best and you want to do it at sea but with a little more subtltey.:ok:

airborne_artist
4th Oct 2004, 20:02
Why do you want to join the Fleet Air Arm?

Naval aviation gives the UK valuable power and certainty to project force where and when needed.

airborne_artist
5th Oct 2004, 14:58
amb_211085

That has to be the funniest load of c@ck I have read in ages.

supert300
6th Oct 2004, 09:59
amb_211085

Having been a Careers Officer in an AFCO, that wouldn't be the reply I'd be looking for in answer to that question. We can spot Bull$h1tters a mile away. Moral of this story, don't ********* your ACLO!

Regards,

ST300

AllTrimDoubt
6th Oct 2004, 10:39
And learn how to spell!

amb_211085
6th Oct 2004, 13:29
Okay, previous post deleted for personal reasons, but I just wanted to guage the sort of response I would get if that is what I gave as my answer.

Would something along the lines of:

"My reason for wanting to join the FAA over the RAF is due to the fact that the RN works in a far greater number of roles to the RAF given the nature of a ship, being able to move around the world. This in turn would give me a much more diverse career than I would be able to get from the RAF and as I am after career satisfaction, feel that the FAA would be more appropriate."

be a better answer to the question?

airborne_artist
6th Oct 2004, 14:26
amb_211085

6/10 for effort - but the RAF also move around the world, faster than any ship I ever served in.

BEagle
6th Oct 2004, 14:35
"All the nice girls like a sailor"

...and boys?

:E

chromate
6th Oct 2004, 18:16
amb_211085,

It still sounds like you're having to plan your answer with a view to use it as a script. Why? Just be honest with yourself. What is it that turns you on about the Navy that just doesn't quite cut it with the RAF? What's the real reason you've chosen the Navy?

althenick
6th Oct 2004, 22:50
a much more diverse career...

Good point, when RAF pilots are not flying then don't they end up flying desks.

My point is if you the mutts nuts you could end up with comand of a Pussers Battlewagon!

Mach2
7th Oct 2004, 18:12
Althenic

Quote: when RAF pilots are not flying then don't they end up flying desks?.

And what do RN officers end up doing when their ship is scrapped from underneath them?

Quote: My point is if you the mutts nuts you could end up with comand (sic) of a Pussers Battlewagon!

Translate into English, please

airborne_artist
8th Oct 2004, 08:14
comand (sic) of a Pussers Battlewagon

Command one of Her Majesty's (few remaining) warships.

amb_211085
9th Oct 2004, 14:52
Ok, thanks.

I suppose that it's because I want a challenge and having a bit of flying experience landing on the decks of an aircraft carrier or other ships if not FJ is a start in that direction. Also, operating from a ship would mean being able to perform more than one airborne role which I don't believe you do in the RAF unless you change a/c type or Sqn.

However, I honestly don't think that will cut it with the CLO.