PDA

View Full Version : Beeb strikes again

Richae
4th Oct 2004, 12:12
The Beeb's current article on the USAF tanker deal has the following paragraph....

Druyun played a major role in the early stages of a controversial tanker deal which Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld put on hold late last year, pending an assessment of the army's need for the aircraft.

Wonder what the US Army's gonna do with all those 767's

:ok:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3708584.stm

BikerMark
5th Oct 2004, 13:18
I think it's a fantastic move. All the fuel used for the nasty noisy take-off business can be used for refuelling instead, not to mention the increased engine life as the tankers just gently taxi to their AR (GR?) contacts.

The only drawback I can foresee is the wear & tear on the drogues as they drag on the ground. Maybe a cunning trolley arrangement can be substituted.

Mark.

ORAC
10th Oct 2004, 06:41
Not the BBC, but worth a laugh. Link on the Rumours forum:

RCAF divert to Shannon (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147813)

"The five F-18s were en route from Saragossa in Spain to an Air Force base in Canada and were due to refuel in mid air from a KC 130 tanker.

However, the refuelling drone on the back of the tanker failed to deploy and was unable to dock with the planes."

just gotta see that refuelling system... :ooh: :p

BEagle
10th Oct 2004, 07:27
So much for the CF assertion that they only ever fly AAR trails which can be planned for single hose operation throughout.....

Unless, of course, both hoses failed to trail?

Presumbaly Shannon was pre-planned as an abort aerodrome?

Daysleeper
10th Oct 2004, 08:38
the receiving Aircraft is equipped with a similar hose

What the F?

Richae
11th Oct 2004, 14:30
Well it's kind of similar :ugh:...... except that it sticks out of the front instead of the back..... and its hard and pointy instead of bendy and soft.

Maybe that's where the CAF went wrong.... they've gone and fitted drogues to all the aircraft and now they have to fly upside down and backwards to refuel := I'll get me coat