PDA

View Full Version : Is fluency necessary?

sally
4th Oct 2004, 06:42
Maybe this is a stupid question, but can anyone tell me whether pilots MUST be fluent in Spanish/Portuguese to work for Spanish/Portuguese airlines? Would SOME understanding be acceptable considering flight operations are conducted in English?

richiya
4th Oct 2004, 10:39
Hi ,
When you fly with spanish companies flight operations are done in english when outside of Spanish terretory, but when in Spain you speak in Spainsh with Ground Control and crew near always talk in spanish with each other. They ask you to be able to speack both English and Spanish top be able to be considered, and they definitley prefer you to be more fluent in spanish than in english.

Some companies such as binter only consider nationals and particularly people from canary islands, I belive Tap does the same in portugal.
Regards,
Richiya

Tomix
4th Oct 2004, 22:47
TAP has recently posted adds on the portuguese media to fill some F/O positions . These are the requirements, in portuguese:

Requisitos M'nimos de Candidatura:
Licença de Piloto Comercial de Avião com qualificações de Multimotores e Instrumentos de Multimotores, válidas, homologadas pelo INAC ou emitidas nos termos JAR-FCL 1;
Teoria de Linha Aérea homologada pelo I.N.A.C ou emitida nos termos JAR-FCL 1;
Experiência m'nima de 300 horas de voo como Piloto de Avião;
Idade m'nima de 21 anos e máxima de 35 anos;
12.º Ano de Escolaridade M'nima (Reconhecido pelo Ministério da Educação);
Dom'nio de Português e Inglês (escrito e falado);
Conhecimentos de informática na óptica do utilizador;

If you cannot understand them, then forget it. You have to speak and read fluent portuguese in addition to have an high-school leaving diploma acepted by the Portuguese Ministry of Education.
The same scenario for the other national airlines.

AIRWAY
6th Oct 2004, 12:48
Hello,

To enter a Portuguese Airline "The Friend Factor" is very important for a personal recommendation, and it's big advantage as well.

Regards,
AIRWAY

Quokka
16th Oct 2004, 18:16
... I guess the same would apply to becoming a Spanish Air Traffic Controller? Would an Australian Air Traffic Controller have to speak Espanol to become an ATC in Spain?

ant1
16th Oct 2004, 21:08
Hi Sally

Check Vueling (http://www.vueling.com/)

I've heard they employ foreign Pilots.

Denim Air (http://www.denimair.nl/) operates on a wet lease for Air Nostrum (http://www.airnostrum.es/) a franchise operating Iberia regional flights.

As for Air traffic Controllers, EVERYBODY must undergo the same selection process and training. In other words they WILL treat the same way a seasoned Controller and a complete rookie (that's what some people call an equal opportunity employer ;) )

:)

sally
6th Nov 2004, 04:49
Maybe my best bet is to find out whether Denim Air have pilots based in Spain?
Many thanks to you guys for your replies.
I appreciate you taking the time.

sally

Captain Efis
9th Nov 2004, 12:47
Air Portugal has a recruitment drive every 6 months, i shall let you know the next one... But like it has been said before you must learn the lingo, anyway if you do so it will be an advantage, knowing Portuguese you will understand spanish or vice-versa...

Regards,
cpt efis
:8