PDA

View Full Version : Light at the end of the tunnel or...?

Gainesy
3rd Oct 2004, 16:11
From The Times, October 2.
By Michael Evans, Defence Editor

THE Conservatives reversed their policy to freeze defence spending yesterday, and announced a scheme by which efficiency savings made by other Whitehall departments would be handed over to the Armed Forces.

The only ministries exempted would be health and education, Nicholas Soames, the Shadow Defence Secretary, said. The deal for more money for the “grossly overstretched Armed Forces” had been agreed by all his fellow shadow ministers, Mr Soames said. As a result, a Tory Government would spend £2.7 billion more than Labour on frontline defence up to 2008.

He accused the Ministry of Defence and two key agencies — the Defence Logistics Agency and the Defence Procurement Agency — of wasting huge sums in bureaucracy. A lot of “sacred cows were going to be slaughtered”, he said.

With the money from other government department’s savings and efficiency moves at the MoD, Mr Soames said that he would reinstate the four battalions of infantry that Labour announced in July that it would axe. This would increase the Army by 5,000.

Mr Soames also said that he would scrap the idea of merging the smallest regiments into larger formations, as outlined in July by General Sir Mike Jackson, the Chief of the General Staff.

Mr Soames, a former Defence Minister and former 2nd lieutenant in the 11th Hussars, said: “We find ourselves in profound and respectful disagreement with the Army Board. We’re not going to cut the infantry at a time when its obligations have never been greater.”

The Tories’ announcement came after a review by David James, the former boss of the Dome, who has identified potential savings across Whitehall, including £1.6 billion from “back office elements of the MoD budget”. The other £1.1 billion to be earmarked for defence would come from the rest of Whitehall.

[End Quote]

Anybody believe him? (Soames that is).

polyglory
3rd Oct 2004, 16:44
In short Soames NO:sad:

mbga9pgf
3rd Oct 2004, 18:36
If they promise to ditch Resource Account Budgeting whilst maintaining our current fiscal budget and get rid of any other "stealth taxes" which afflict us, then they get my vote.

BEagle
3rd Oct 2004, 18:42
"I say, you fellows", squealed the Fat Owl of the Remove, "let's slaughter a sacred cow! Then there'll be lots more tuck for Bunter!! Yaroooh!!"

(With apologies to grammar school oiks who who've probably never heard of Greyfriars School)

allan907
4th Oct 2004, 02:52
I would have thought that anything managed by anyone who had anything to do with the Dome was doomed (domed?) to failure:yuk:

whowhenwhy
4th Oct 2004, 07:46
We all know that politicians lie like cheap French tar*s. However, we all know exactly how much waste there is in the system, across the whole system. From Stns to MoD. Just as a starter for 10, how much less would we spend on electricity if we actually did turn off all our lights and computers at the end of the day? I know that it's a drop in the ocean when you look at the size of the budget overally, but this is just the tip of the iceberg. Chairs in MoD. Terrible procurement strategies. Grace and favours for the bosses. We all know the list and the list is endless! You could save a fortune. But then you could save a fortune from local and central government as well.

Departing my soapbox now :*

Gainesy
4th Oct 2004, 08:35
IIRC James is a "company doctor" who was brought in to flog off the dome in the last few months of its existance.