PDA

View Full Version : Augmented Crewing Operations: Question

Pengintai
3rd Oct 2004, 11:50
My airline is introducing a policy whereby augmented crew (including PIC) are only credited (i.e., for the purpose of maximum flying hours in a month) with a percentage of actual flying time.

I am interested in hearing how other Airlines treat the crediting of actual flying time in augmented crew operations. Note that I am not talking about credit hours for pay etc., but rather the contribution that augmented crew flying time makes to the legislated maximum monthly flying hours.

TIA for any feedback!

Notso Fantastic
3rd Oct 2004, 12:59
BA handles all flying time as fully counting towards mandatory limits- I believe this is official CAA policy (and quite correct). Without getting into a row about whether this is the correct policy, I would like to say there are reasons why this is important:
1- Such flying hour limits can set limits to exposure to high altitude radiation.
2- The 'off duty' time whilst being relieved are hardly relaxing and peaceful- indeed they are often sleepless, so increasing mandatory limits like this is extremely fatiguing.
3- It is sharp practice to increase annual flying hour limits like this. Why were they imposed in the first place?

Pengitai, I would like to add- you have posted this query in the wrong place- it's 'Rumours & News' right? Read the website holders request. Also, if you are going to pose fairly technical queries like this, it helps if you state in your profile your level or qualification in the industry- it helps with framing an answer.

HPSOV
5th Oct 2004, 12:35
Total flight time is logged in logbook.
Only a percentage is used when calculating limitations (30hrs in 7 days, 90hrs in a month etc) (Believe it is 2/3rds is counted)

Intruder
5th Oct 2004, 21:43
At my company all time is counted for all required Crewmembers.

In the US, the FAA counts all the time towards minima and maxima.

3holer
8th Oct 2004, 13:28
At RG we count all the flight time towards the limits of the law (85@ month/230@quater/850@year). The only thing that we do different of the industry is using two captains and one FO, instead of the usual 1 capt. and 2 FOs.

Intruder
8th Oct 2004, 14:22
We even use 1 Capt/3 FOs for "heavy" crews.

3holer
8th Oct 2004, 16:01
For "heavy"crews we use 2 capts. and 2 FOs. Heavy meaning up to 15 hours of flight time and up to 20 hours duty time.

Cheers

Intruder
8th Oct 2004, 17:55
We currently have flights up to 17:55 with the 1/3 mix...