PDA

View Full Version : C210 flying...

Gyro drifter
3rd Oct 2004, 07:08
Hey guys,
Just about to start my cpl navexs and was told that it would be a good idea to do some time in a 210. I am currently in the M20J and wouldnt mind doing a couple of navs in a 210. Ive looked at a place at YPJT who have 210s but due to insurance policies the PIC must have in excess of 200hrs. Obviously i dont have that much but my instructor does. Which means i wouldnt be able to do solo flying in the 210. Would 210 time with an instructor be of any benefit when going up north looking for work. Should i do some time now during the cpl navs rather then wait till after my cpl and a few solo hrs before jumping into a 210 and getting some hrs prior to heading away to look for work.

Any input would be appreciated...

Gyro

Capt Fathom
3rd Oct 2004, 07:41
It may be an advantage to have some C210 time when looking for a job. But I can't see the benefit in mixing types during the navexes. You'll have enough to concentrate on as it is. The CPL Navs are not just a continuation of your PPL Navs. You will be required to lift the standard up to a higher level. Maybe you can do some C210 flying on the side.

JSM
3rd Oct 2004, 07:41
mate, any time on a 210 is good for up north.

Sunfish
3rd Oct 2004, 10:36
Specifically get practice at doing a go around in a C210. A friend of mine almost killed himself and family because he wasn't prepared for the yaw.

Loc-out
3rd Oct 2004, 12:40
Done a lot of time in C210's over the years.

Be aware of the max rough a/s or max man speed, as they are a lot lower than a good cruise speed. been a number of times I have had to lower gear to keep A/S within limits in serve turbulance.

Capt L
4th Oct 2004, 11:14
G'Day Gyro

I agree with Capt Fathom. Concentrate on getting your CPL then do a couple of hours in a C210, that's what I did.

BTW I did my training at good old JT, so any questions let me know.

Cheers

Gyro drifter
5th Oct 2004, 14:14
Hey thanks guys for the input. Ive talked to my instructor about it and he seems keen to do a couple of hrs in one. We will consider wether to do it now in my cpl navexs or after. Hey Cap L what company did you hire the 210 from. Ive researched one place and its going to cost me about 300 dollars dual wet.

Neil

maxgrad
5th Oct 2004, 23:29
ask your instructor to pay the difference between the a/c you fly now and a 210 if he/she is so enthusiastic.
CPL then 210.
my thoughts only

janesays
6th Oct 2004, 05:54
Whats an M20J? my thoughts are that it might overload you a bit with everything else you are trying to master and therefore you may not get your moneys worth out of the lesson. Make sure you go with an instructor that has at least 50 or so hrs in the 210 themselves if you decide to do it. Personally I would do 6 or 7 hours of the navexs in the cheapest smallest slowest C150 or tomahawk you can find instead of the M20J, with the money you save from doing that go out and have a good bash around in a 210 when you have your CPL, more total hours in the book and you can just concentrate on the fact that the plane is different rather than the nav issues.
cheers.

slice
6th Oct 2004, 09:10
tut tut! What's an M20J ? Only the finest, slickest, slippriest,
piece of aeronautical machinery a prospective CPL can get their hands on

Don't CPL navexs have to be done in an aircraft with a CSU prop and at least 180 hp ? (or 160 hp??)

Capt Fathom
6th Oct 2004, 12:27
Ive talked to my instructor about it and he seems keen to do a couple of hrs in oneOf course he is if you're paying!

Gyro drifter
6th Oct 2004, 15:42
The m20J is a mooney.. The ones at our club produce 200BHP at 2700RPM. They are csu / ret gear. Cruise at 145 (you gotta be in better then isa conditions).

My reason for not liking them is that they just dont have enough power and you can do bugger all with them. Only one door.. Very low and sleek. At best you can fit 2 avg adult males and a tiny bit of luggae with full fuel.

Just returned from a trip up to Broome and the M20J struggles really bad when you pack her up close to MTOW in those kind of conditions.

Anywayz i think from what i read i might leave the 210 till later. Save my self some money and then do it after.

Thanks again guys

Gyro

maxgrad
6th Oct 2004, 16:51
There are many ways to complete your CPL training.
My favorite is to get the the done ASAP with as little pain to the hip pocket as possible.

A cpl takes you to the next level of flying skill and hopefully attitude. To complete the CPL you need certain hours on set type configs, fine do it in something that qualifies, even if it does feel like it is flying backwards! You need the hrs.

To be of any real use to an operator with 210's you will need around 5 to 10 hrs min, (depending on the company) at around $350 ish an hr that adds up fast.

If you want to throw some money to a 210 and make your instructor smile,........ well it's your money, but is the experience at this stage of your flying really neccessary?

Counter-rotation
7th Oct 2004, 02:21
Flew a mooney for a while, and can't say I really enjoyed it. Particularly in the heat of north Qld. Pokey little storm vent giving no air, only one door, and if you had a passenger beside you, they're almost on your lap. Worst of all, no dashboard!!! (Where am I supposed to put the declog?)
They do get along though, and about 40 lph if I recall - the boss loved it.

Flown a C210 a bit too, and will many times more I'm sure. They are a superior aircraft, just my opinion. You get what you pay for (sometimes!)

CR. ;)

magnum pi
7th Oct 2004, 02:47
I had ppl for 6 yrs then went on to do cpl in C210 (about 17hrs). Made job search easier(they came to me).Have u tried skyworx & John Russell?. Any exp in one will be invaluble,when loaded to mtow,40+deg & short dusty strip:\ good luck. PI

itchybum
7th Oct 2004, 05:52
The roll rate on the Mooney isn't the best either. Important when you're thrashing it down low around the hills........ :ok:

I thought it was M02J (not M20J) was I mis-informed??

I agree forget the C210 until you finish unless you have a lot of cash to burn. If you do, then who cares. Do it.

I smell money here........................... :D !!

185skywagon
8th Oct 2004, 13:16
most mooneys in oz are m20's of various designations except for a couple of mooney cadets which were 2 seat wooden wing machines. the m20 started at 180 hp in the early 60's. it had manual gear and hand pumped hydraulic flaps. if you pushed over a little bit after takeoff, you could retract the gear in about 2 secs. it took a while to get the hang of it, and until you did, the gear could often been seen going up and down until the newby masterd the arm swing required. the beauty of it was that if the gear lever was up under the dsh and locked, the gear was definitely down, if the lever was flat on the floor, it was up. you leart to fly with your left elbow up on the window, a classic mooney posture. you also need long legs to reach the rudders.
have worked an m20c (180hp) in outback temps with no problems. nice long wing. leave the 210 till you can give it your undivided attention. it is a challenge to fly well and to its maximum capability. they are a different machine when they are fully loaded. a check out in one is not complete till you have flown with a max load at aft c of g (within limits). torque on t/o or go around is something else if you have come out af a 182 or less. you get used to it though. rudder, rudder, rudder.
mild compared to the 185 though.