PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for buying stuff?

Sunfish
3rd Oct 2004, 03:44
Anyone give me a recommendation for a good headset to buy and where to buy it?

I'm thinking that my own headset would be nice if I'm wearing it for more than an hour at a time because I could adjust it to match my fat head.

Anything else worth buying if you are a lowly ppl student? Please note that there is NO WAY I'm going to buy some of the embarrassing crud (like ex military flight gear on non ex military flyers) I've seen people wearing near aircraft.

RabidNuts
3rd Oct 2004, 05:11
Sunfish...
If you are going to persue a flying career then get a good quality headset. Peltors or David Clarkes are regarded as the better products and expect to shell out $500-$800.
Don't be too scared of the price tag as they will last 10 years or more (as have my DC's) if looked after. A good headset will be light, comfortable have good sound quality with decent mic pickup.

I suggest a little research, talk to some pilots and try on a couple (even better borrow a set from a friend and try them on a flight) before making your selection.

Cheap headsets may fit the bill, but will NOT last under the rigors of daily flying and after spending $300 you will probably be replacing them in a couple of years (as a couple of our drivers found out).

Good luck...
rN

PS... get your own fuel drainer/tester (obvious, but it will save embarresment when hiring an a/c and it doesn\'t have one!!), a set of your own handling notes for the aircraft you most commonly fly, leatherman or similar (for securing wayward cowl fastners etc) and a whiz wheel and WAC ruler that fits in your top pocket (ideal for those navexs).

Some guys/girls have bought their own GPS\'s which is great when flying different a/c but I have found that learning to use the one installed (if it has one) is very beneficial as you generate and understanding of how they all work and will be able to operate any type with ease.

I am going now, for good!!

rN

newbe200
3rd Oct 2004, 10:40
I agree, I have had my headset for about 11 years now (H10-20) and while i have had to replace the mic cover a couple of times and have needed to have some wiring done, I have had absoulutely no problems. has cost me about 170.00 on top of the purchase price, and that was because i wound the mic too many times.

cheers nb20

redsnail
3rd Oct 2004, 15:45
I am a big fan of David Clark headsets for the reasons outlined above. They work day in day out. If you're going to stay with private flying only and thus not likely to kick the hell out of your headsets, look at Peltor as well. Active Noise Cancelling isn't cheap, I just use an ear plug (or half of one) under the DC's. That works. A simple solution.
Where to buy? I bought mine from a guy who did a ferry flight from the States. I never had to worry about the warranty. They're 16 years old now.

Fuel drain, Leatherman, simple bag to keep all your stuff in. I wouldn't worry about a flash leather flight case as most of the time it's too big to put any where. A simple fabric multi pocket satchel should see you through. I used one for years.

I wouldn't worry about an expensive kneeboard either. Just use a plastic clipboard turned the other way with either another big clip to keep it shut or a big elastic band. Voila.

vh-oja
4th Oct 2004, 01:03
You could also try ebay, occasionally they have dc's for sale.

I picked up a H10-13x there for $800 brand new,

Bargain!:D

flametree
4th Oct 2004, 03:27
I agree ebay or try Sportys pilot shop, they are American but may work out cheaper.

Sunfish
4th Oct 2004, 04:32
Ordered some DC's from American Spruce then found out my son has a pair of noise cancelling Sennhiesers that just need a microphone attachment or something.

TLAW
4th Oct 2004, 11:26
Plus - David Clarks look the business :cool: