PDA

View Full Version : In need of some serious advice

GeorgeJ
2nd Oct 2004, 20:02
I have been wanting a career as a pilot for at least 5 years now. I currently reside in Windsor, Canada. As I understand, flying schools here are much cheaper than they are in Europe and I am probably going to stay here. However, my problem is deciding what I will do after high school as I am currently in grade 12. My marks are good and everything and I can get into University where my parents want me to go, yet I want to go to a flying school and pursue a flying career. My parents will be able to help me somewhat and pay off at least a 1/3 of my education but that's about it.

1)I am not really sure what to do, I was thinking of taking a year off and working full time in a factory and earning some money to pay at least for my whole flying school which should cost me around $35000 CAD which is probably around 27-28KUSD. After I earn around 40-50k hopefully in a factory I would right away go to Flying School and College(as backup).

2)The other plan is to take a large loan, get my licences, go to College(as backup) and then find a job somewhere in the bush(Northern Canada) or somewhere else and constantly work to pay it off. The advantage of this is that I will start my flying career earlier on but the disadvantages are that I may not get a job soon enough to pay this back or just that I may not be able to pay it off.

3)....

So what do you people think about this? I am desperate for some good advice regarding this. Any comments would be highly APPRECIATED

birdlady
2nd Oct 2004, 20:55
Hi

My suggestion is to first of all get your PPL and your Class 1 medical and then decide if this is really what you want to do. This can be done while your still in school. As you said your parents will be able to help you out so why dont you get them to sponsor you for your PPL. As with regards to the Class 1 medical I would do this immediately as you might find that you'll pay all that money for a PPL and then be declared to be medically unfit for CPL.
If you can, I would seriously consider self funding as you might find, like you said, that you wont be able to pay back a loan and also if you borrow the money the bank will ask you to find a guarantor which in your case would obviously be your parents - your parents may not agree to this. I would work, save like a mad man and then do the CPL.

Hope this help

Ciao BL :ok: :ok: :ok:

OneIn60rule
2nd Oct 2004, 22:14
As the other reply mentions, you should definately get a PPL before you think any further about flying professionally.

If you get through the PPL stage and the first class medical and still enjoy the idea of flying for cash then your next concern should be to verify the potential flying schools you'd like to do your flying with.

I don't think you'll ever manage to scrounge the entire amount for your whole journy to the commercial license as well as the instrument rating. Working in a factory is not something i would consider.

Here's what you could do once you manage to get the money:

find a school that offers a job as an instructor when you finish the ATPL, IR, CPL, multi, MCC course, CFI (Instructor license). This will help you get the much needed hours you need to accumulate to get to the air lines.

You can of course just go for the ATPL, IR, CPL, MULTI, MCC course and try to get a job from there. You can actually get a job if you know someone who's actually got a good position with the air line. (So far there's only one instructor I know that claims that everyone of his students managed to land a job with total time of less than 300 hours,)

Other fact need to mention is you need a degree or diploma in order for any air line to even look at your CV. I don't know an air line that would let you work without one or something similiar to it.

GeorgeJ
3rd Oct 2004, 00:57
Well thanks for the advices.

I have already flown quite a few times in smaller planes(with my english teacher who has a PPL) and I really loved it.

If I work full time in a factory for a year, I can earn about 30-35k/year @ 40h/week @ $15/h(but I will kill for overtimes :P). According to my calculations on the flying club's site, it will cost me approx $37k, give a few hundred/thousand, so around 40k. Now I can work and take lessons at the same time.

However I can go to college either before or after I do this. I think the best option would be to go before, so I don't loose my habbits and stuff.

All is left is for a Class 1 Medical.

Any other advice guys?

OneIn60rule
3rd Oct 2004, 02:01
Go to College beforhand. It's just smarter that way.

Whatever your choice, good luck.

1/60

NoseGear
3rd Oct 2004, 04:27
Get your licences up to CPL, IR and instructor ratings, then go to College if that is what you want to do. You can then instruct and build up hours and earn some cash, probably not much, but maybe a little, while you complete a degree. In 3 or 4 years time, you should have a reasonable amount of hours and a degree, although this is not a requirement for alot of airlines, a nice to have, but not nessecary.

Good luck

Nosey