PDA

View Full Version : Astute Programme??!

littleme
2nd Oct 2004, 17:00
Just wondered if anyone could shed any light on the 'Astute Programme'? Does it have anything to do with the upgrade of the Hawk to the 128??

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Littleme :ok:

Impiger
2nd Oct 2004, 17:37
Astute?

Isn't that a submarine?

Archimedes
2nd Oct 2004, 20:00
It's the new SSN programme, littleme.

The Astute project is one of the four that gets the National Audit Office tutting gently every year at less-than Smart Procurement (the others being Brimstone, MRA 4 & Typhoon).

littleme
2nd Oct 2004, 20:46
Ahh! Thank you Archimedes. Just typed it into google to find out what it was exactly - Navy stuff eh....no wonder I didn't know anything about it! Won't be bothering to learn that for OASC then!

Cheers! :ok:

Oggin Aviator
2nd Oct 2004, 21:12
As we move to more network centric jointery, I would have thought it would be an ideal question to ask about at a Crab OASC, just as asking about Storm Shadow is relevant at an AIB.

Typical anti "other service" attitude ! Being an Officer means you should be able to broaden your horizons somewhat.

No wonder we cant work together, when even before they join our potential new people display these attributes. Ask yourself whether you think blinkered people like this are the sort of people we want as Commissioned Officers, and will they get selected ???

littleme, have fun talking to no-one outside your own tiny (and it will be tiny after the cuts) little world you will call the air force. No-one else matters do they !!

BTW its not as if there is going to be much of an air force (or navy, or army for that matter) left in a few years to read up on is there?

littleme
3rd Oct 2004, 11:25
Oggin Aviator, you are right, I must not be so narrow minded, after all what with the plans for the services to become (more) tri-service, I must endeavour to take on information on all three of them. Thanks for the kick up the back side - I needed it!
:ok:

Jackonicko
3rd Oct 2004, 12:53
But why do they call it 'Astute'?

When Feckless or Imprudent would be more appropriate......

WE Branch Fanatic
3rd Oct 2004, 15:12
But why do they call it 'Astute'?

Because Astute is the name of the first the class.

When Feckless or Imprudent would be more appropriate......

Why would they?

littleme - they are relevent to you - apart from maritime stuff against submarines or surface ships they have other roles, including TLAM strike (could be used for defence suppresion), ISTAR and special ops.

We had twelve SSNs when this Government came to power. The SDR said it would cut that to ten. In a few years we'll be down to eight........yet the number of commitments increases. Overstretch once again.

See here (http://navynews.co.uk/articles/2004/0409/0004091401.asp) and here (http://navynews.co.uk/articles/2003/0305/1003050201.asp).

Everything is related...........

But going back to your original point - I suspect that they're looking for rounded individual.

Spotting Bad Guys
4th Oct 2004, 07:18
Hey, lets give the guy a break...after all, just how many of us swotted up on all three services for OASC/AIB etc? Not many, I would guess.

Some of us service brats may have some insight as to the workings of the other services prior to selection, but I'd suggest jointery is something best learned when you understand your own service - not something easily done until you're in!

SBG

littleme
4th Oct 2004, 17:07
Thanks SGB. There is so much to learn already without having to learn about the other services too! You can't learn it all. At least I know what the programme is now - not going to learn the in's and out's of it, just what it is if they ask, which I very much doubt they will! There's barely enough time in the interview to ask about future aircraft in the RAF let alone other service programmes!

"give the guy a break" - I'd give the girl a break if I were you! ;)

Cheers

Littleme :ok:

Always_broken_in_wilts
4th Oct 2004, 17:25
Never heard it called " a break" before:E

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Spotting Bad Guys
5th Oct 2004, 07:57
Ooops - I'll get me coat......:O

SBG

littleme
5th Oct 2004, 18:03
Haha! You weren't to know SGB. You're forgiven! :p

God i can\'t spell! :sad: SBG I mean!

Littleme

bad livin'
5th Oct 2004, 22:15
WEBF - the Silent Service, although taking a few cuts in the short term to allow a few very tired old ladies who served incredibly well throughout the Cold War (and i don't mean Margaret Thatcher or Nancy Reagan) to rest will in fact come out rather well in the long run. Astute, when she finally arrives, will really be a piece of work. The emphasis will be very much on delivery of capability in conjunction with the updated Trafalgars and overall will provide the UK's REAL front line assets with some of the best gear going!

*stands well clear*

Oggin Aviator
5th Oct 2004, 22:48
BL - you've come up to the surface for a breather then ??

WE Branch Fanatic
5th Oct 2004, 22:55
Do you honestly think that the level of eight SSNs is a just a temporary thing? Or will they then start looking for more cuts?

And isn't Astute a bit big for littoral roles?

bad livin'
6th Oct 2004, 08:54
Oggin that's affirm. WEBF, it is a big beast (pushing 8000T, or about twice the displacement of a T23 frigate) but provisions are included to allow some of the littoral roles to be carried out rather more easily than the system being trialled now. It's not for open discussion here I'm afraid but I suspect the Americans managed some fairly cheeky close inshore work with the LA class in years gone by so if they can do it, our Captains DEFINITELY can.

In addition the weapon load is massive, the sensor fit astounding, and the operators, of course, little short of mystical.....;-)