PDA

View Full Version : Cars in Hong Kong

DDDOF
2nd Oct 2004, 08:02
I've heard over and over that cars are very expensive items to own and operate in Hong Kong.
I know that public transport is cheap and efficient, but there must be some people on here that live in the NT and require cars.
From what I've seen from classifieds cars themselves don't seem that overpriced. You should be able to get a half decent used car for 60,000$ ???
I know petrol is around 12$/litre which is expensive compared to N America, but pretty close to the costs of UK, Europe.
So is it lic. registration, road taxes, tolls, insurance that make it really expensive.
I wouldn't imagine that you would put a terribly high amount of Kms on your car per year.
So can anyone elaborate an more on the costs of owning a car.
The reason I ask is that I'm considering Sai Kung as an option of a place to live.
Thanks in advance

H721
2nd Oct 2004, 14:35
keeping a car is expensive, some statistics on car ownership, all in hkd $,

for a $60,000 2nd hand car - resonable money for a 5-6 years old 2 litre car.

car rego - $5700 p.a. for 2-litre car, (~7-8k for 3-litre car).

road tax - no such thing for the time being.

3rd party insurance - if u have 60% n.c.b., 2.5k-3.5k p.a.

toll fee - total $30 to & from airport

your road driving lic - $90 p.a.

car maintenance - d.i.y.

car park - here come the expensive bit, but for living in sai kung, you should have a free parking at home, otherwise $1.5k-2.5k p.m. necessary. for casual parking at downtown shopping mall, $30/hr is something common. parking at airport, $16/hr casual or $112 daily.

however, do thing u need a car if living in sai kung.

404 Titan
2nd Oct 2004, 15:56
DDDOF

I only drive on average 8000 km per year in Hong Kong. The running cost of my car is about HK$3500.00 per month. This includes all petrol, rego, insurance, tolls, parking and maintenance. If you live in Sai Kung I would suggest you will need a car.

christep
3rd Oct 2004, 00:43
So that's about HK$50/km to run a car.

HK/Kowloon Taxis are HK$15 for the first 2km then $1.4 per 200m. (NT taxis are cheaper but I can't remember the exact rates)

You pay a lot in HK for the privilege of not being able to drink!

404 Titan
3rd Oct 2004, 03:36
christep

Yes very true but I import my cars back to Australia every year. The price I can sell them for down there covers their entire running cost plus a small profit. In the end the car has cost me nothing. A taxi is blown money. Never to be recovered.