PDA

View Full Version : Townsville 01 ILS

fatter bloke
1st Oct 2004, 13:23
I notice the TL 01 ILS is out of service until about 6 October. Just wondering what you RPT types do when arriving from the south at night during MBZ time and desire a landing on 01. The DME arrival seems too steep to do a straight in.
Am I correct in thinking that you cannot use the VASIS for a visual approach unless you are aligned and within 5nm? So do you circle for a left crosswind leg?

virgindriver
1st Oct 2004, 22:04
Easy, sector B DME arrival down to 1300' (1500') overhead then a left hand visual circuit round the hill. By the way, visual approach from 7nm on 01, just have to duck down a bit from radar MVA at 7nm (when the tower is open).

UATA
1st Oct 2004, 22:22
You have to love where they put that airport....

Delightful MT Louisa on your left, Castle Hill on your right, and Maggy Island on ya nose...

Metro man
2nd Oct 2004, 01:38
Request direct Satco .At Satco follow the 197 radial in ,descending in accordance with the sector DME steps until you are close enough and aligned, to follow the PAPI down, 7 nm as the runway is ILS equipped.

You haven't said what type of aircraft you are flying , the above would be a bit steep for a turbo charged or geared down piston engine ,but fine for a turbine.

I don't like circling approaches there at all ,Mount Louisa is far to close to left base 01 for comfort and will set your GPWS off if so equipped.I am very familiar with TVL but take the 01 ILS at all times unless 19 is in use or it is a fairly clear daytime approach.

Even when perfectly lined up on the ILS Mt Louisa is uncomfortably close.There are enough other hills around there besides. One airport to play safe at .

virgindriver
2nd Oct 2004, 07:21
Sorry Metro dude, have done the circling approach a few times at night over the last month and no GPWS warnings, and I am so equipped!

Metro man
3rd Oct 2004, 04:45
Your circling area in a 737 is larger than ours ,hence you would be further away from Mt Louisa when turning base. Try a close left base in day CAVOK conditions with the hill in sight at all times and see what happens.

Without going back through all the Flight Safety comics I remember an article a while back saying circling approaches were 16 ? times more dangerous than straight in.

Also when I fly the ILS I get to keep recent ,win win situation.

BankAngle50
4th Oct 2004, 06:10
LNAV/VNAV!! and the RAAF can keep their ground base aids.

Ooopppss! CASA knows best, cant do it with out raw data. Dual IRS and GPS updating, gee so inaccurate, I total see why we cant.

If you need the extra trk miles join the arc at KIRAN.