PDA

View Full Version : A380

1DC
30th Sep 2004, 17:45
Considering that the Americans scuppered Concorde as a commercial success by restrictive practices in the USA and used their influence in South America to achieve the same ends, do you think they will use the same tactics against the A380??

note. I know Concorde was a brilliantly succesful aircraft, but originally more than a 100 orders became about 10, when the Americans effectively said no..

Wino
30th Sep 2004, 18:11
Your kidding right?

It was America's fault? The airplane couldn't fly the atlantic with bags AND people. America isn't the be all end all. If it was a good airplane it would have found a market somewhere.

Actually NO concordes were sold. They were GIVEN to BA and AirFrance and even so the economics were dicey at best

Cheers
Wino

Lower Hangar
30th Sep 2004, 18:14
Considering FEDEX has a large FIRM order for the aircraft and for which they've presumably analysed the cost/benefits of operating the A380F then thats one bit of USA business that would not be too pleased if such a tactic was adopted.

Spookily enough I'm writing this in the UPS environment (SDF in KY USA)

surely not
30th Sep 2004, 18:21
Wino, how right you are. Concorde was a technological success, and a commercial failure of immense proportions.

If anything helped do for Concorde, apart from the environmental issue of noise, it was the massive hike in oil prices in the early 70's.

GearDown&Locked
30th Sep 2004, 18:57
oh oh here we go again :p

Why are people so afraid of the A380 :confused:
I guess that says a lot about its future success :E

You better grab your hats when it starts to fly :D

HOODED
30th Sep 2004, 19:48
Actually what killed Concorde was the Paris crash. If I remember right this was caused by it hitting some FOD which had fallen off a DC10 on the runway. Confidence was lost, in France in particular, as the accident report was critical of some AF practices with regard to maintenance (tyres in particular) if my memory serves me right. BA however modified its ac after recommendations to imrove the fuel tank protection and some re entered service. Unfortunately Airbus, the DA for the ac, decided to stop supporting the ac as AF decided to retire its remaining Concordes and Airbus being mainly French led weren't interested that BA ac had a good 10 years service left in them and BA wanted to still fly this magnificent ac. Sad thing is after the USA tried to ban the ac in the end we gave them one for a museum!

Anyway the A380 will not be scuppered by the USA as there is a lot of US equipment in/on it and as already been pointed out FedEx have purchased the ac. Sadly the Americans love to shout Airbus are subsidised as Boeing now has competition, but if they take a good look at themselves they'll see Boeing are subsidised by the US government too(KC767 et al). The main thing is competition is a good thing and both companies produce good ac. Long may it continue.

747FOCAL
30th Sep 2004, 20:03
The only thing that is going to slow down the A380 is it's shear size. It can't fly into many airports as of yet so that limits it potential. That will probably change in the future, but it will be many years before it can compete with the 747-400 because of where you can go with it. 20 years from now the A380 may well be a success, but only it will have any affect on the outcome. :)

BahrainLad
30th Sep 2004, 20:48
That's funny Wino, I could have sworn I flew a Concorde with 100/100 seats taken across the Atlantic in the Summer.....perhaps I was imagining it?

The problem that some Americans have is that they have an unjustified inferiority complex. Theirs is a great nation, yet they need constant reassurance that it is so. Thus when something comes along that is bigger/faster/better than what they have, they get very tetchy.

Yes Concorde was extremely fast. Yes the A380 is extremely big. But why worry when you created flight itself and built the aircraft that revolutionised it?

Wino
30th Sep 2004, 20:54
Yeah Bahrain, but where did you BAGS fly?

My next door neighbor was the pilot that did the technical evaluations for PANAM of the aircraft (He flew it and claimed to have bent the wing as well during the demo... not sure about that though) and said that when PANAM ran the performance numbers the bags would have to go on a seperate aircraft leading to the cancelation of the order. Very interesting Old guy btw.... Somewhere else I should type stories of his f84 and early panam days before I forget em so they are preserved.

Cheers
Wino

Wizofoz
30th Sep 2004, 21:08
HOODED and Bahrain Lad,

Sorry guys, but the reason aircraft manufacturers make aircraft is so they THEY make a profit through selling sufficient airframes at sufficent prices. For Concorde, magnificent technological achievement that it was, to be considered a commercial success, it's MANUFACTURERS would have to have made a profit from it....That was not the case to the tune of untold BILLIONS of Pounds /Francs.

Would have love to have flown her...but glad I didn't foot the bill for building her.

speedbird_heavy
30th Sep 2004, 21:30
Yeah Bahrain, but where did you BAGS fly

In the the hold at the rear of the aircraft!!!

Most of Concordes passengers were business passengers on a "day trip" so only took hand luggage.:)

As for the A380, didn't the design brief state that it had to be able to "fit" into the same airports that a 744 can???

NWSRG
30th Sep 2004, 21:56
Folks,

Concorde itself may not have been a commercial success. But without doubt, Concorde laid the foundations for Airbus to be the commercial success that it is today. Without the technical achievement of Concorde, Airbus might never have happened!

Dylsexlic
30th Sep 2004, 22:53
747Focal said:
"The only thing that is going to slow down the A380 is it's shear size."

"Shear size"? Hmmmm, is this some massive new windshear sensor?

Dylsexlic yes......but I can still spell "cocktip" :uhoh:

747FOCAL
1st Oct 2004, 00:29
Dylsexlic,

It can fit but crushing the runway is not what the airports will allow to happen. Realize this, an A380 that diverts to its ETOPS airport for whatever reason will shut down the entire ETOPS line because once down it won't be able to leave the runway. All of the sudden every aircraft that claimbed that airport as and ETOPS possible now has to recalc everything.

I was not putting the A380 down. All I said was it's going to take awhile to adjust the system.

It's kinda like buying a car and then they tell you "oh by the way, there are no roads for you to drive on" :E "Well cept a few and they are here, there and far between." :uhoh:

16 blades
1st Oct 2004, 00:46
What's the A380's landing gear config? For it is that which determines its ACN, not just its AUW. The C-17 is huge, and can carry serious weight, but it doesn't require super-strong surfaces due to its triple-tandem main gear config (weight spread across a wide area)

And C-130s have always been able to operate from grass strips, despite a 70t+ max AUW.

I find it difficult to believe a successful manufacturer like Airbus would limit their market on an expensive new-design product like this. Anyone know better?

16B

H721
1st Oct 2004, 02:09
any1 interested in boeing/airbus stuff, try this book,

Birds of Prey - Boeing V Airbus, A Battle for the Skies
Matthew Lynn
ISBN 07493-1402-8

and Flight International 21-27 Sept 2004 editorial

CaptJ
1st Oct 2004, 08:41
747FOCAL,

I'd have thought that an A380 diverting would be fairly rare occurence, having FOUR engines.

I've never understood the facsination you guys have for continually trying to stretch the ETOPS boundaries when perfectly good 4-engined planes are available. Until someone pointed out that its because those perfectly good planes were Airbus, not Boeing.

So no entrenched interest there either ...

Snigs
1st Oct 2004, 10:03
16 blades the A380 has two body landing gear assemblies with triple bogies and two wing landing gear assemblies with double bogies.

Sir George Cayley
1st Oct 2004, 10:11
Access to airports will be limited not by ACN but wing span.

In fact the A380 will not do as much "damage" as the B777 pavement wise.
The B744 is a Code E wingspan whereas the 80m span A380 is in the new Code F categorey. The main landing gear is wider too requiring an increase in width of taxiway.

Airbus are pushing ICAO for agreement that their plane can operate just like a 747 but the jury is still out.

Meanwhile airports with the huge infrastructure change lead time need to know now to be ready for the aircrafts introduction

Sir George Cayley

eal401
1st Oct 2004, 11:42
I was not putting the A380 down.
No, but it helps if you know nothing about the subject.

The A380's gear will provide pavement loading less than a 747.

Irishguy
1st Oct 2004, 12:42
the antonov 225 mriya has a wing span of 88m which is larger than the A380 wingspan of 80m, the antonov 225 can land and taxi in most large international airports. there shouldn't be a problem with the A380's foot print or wing span.

747FOCAL
1st Oct 2004, 16:56
Whats really funny is we are debating just what has been all over the news in the past year. Very few airports are ready to handle the A380 with some spending 100s of millions to get ready. A lot of airports will not be able to do that for some time.

As far as the A380 diverting being a rare occurance, just look at how many times 747s and A340s divert in the past year. Eventually it will happen and when it does it will effect every aircraft that is using that airport as an ETOPs alternate. :)

1DC
1st Oct 2004, 17:10
I need to put a bit more clarity on why i started this thread.
The A380 freighter is not a problem Fedex are buying and will provide the ground infrastructure, which is probably there already.
My worries are that no American airline has bought the passenger version and is hardly likely to in the near future, therefore the Americans have no national urgency to provide the ground infrastructure required for the aircraft.
If most flights into the USA are on 747, 340,777,330, 767, 757 etc. which will land and dock at a gate so passengers are disembarked in less than 20 minutes why should the American airports provide similar facilities for the A380 when it will only be used by airlines who are in opposition to American interests. If the A380 has to land, taxi to a stand, and offload by steps and busses meaning some passengers may take more than an hour to disembark, unless the costs of flying to America on the A380 is much less than on the other aircraft, why bother?

This is the point I was trying to make....

MAN777
1st Oct 2004, 17:26
If America continues to be so bloody paranoid about persons getting through homeland security ("I only want to see Mickey Mouse") There will be no requirement for Supersize gets to go there, a couple of old 70s era jets should cope with the demand !!!

Sir George Cayley
1st Oct 2004, 18:41
The Ant is a Red Herring.

First there's only a couple of them
Second theyre pure freight so dont interact with terminal gates
Third Airports can stop the traffic and make special arrangements to get the thing from the runway to stand on the rare occasions it arrives

The point about the A380 is that it has o fit into normal ops and theres the rub.

Sir George Cayley

GearDown&Locked
1st Oct 2004, 23:15
If the A380 has to land, taxi to a stand, and offload by steps and busses meaning some passengers may take more than an hour to disembark, unless the costs of flying to America on the A380 is much less than on the other aircraft, why bother?
Americans allways find a way to make things harder for the outsiders; Before it was the noise of the Concorde, now its the size of the 3-eighty.

My worries are that no American airline has bought the passenger version and is hardly likely to in the near future, therefore the Americans have no national urgency to provide the ground infrastructure required for the aircraft.
I agree with that. If they're smart they will not spend what they don't have. Thankfuly the rest of the world is very much interested on the new machine.

Americans could make a commercial double deck version of the C-5 Galaxy, couldn't they? just change the engines, and they'll be in the game.

t-jey
2nd Oct 2004, 10:56
I was engaged in the planning of the Terminal 2 in Frankfurt. Already back in 1993, airport architects were obliged to deal with the future dimensions of the A380, which definitely requires larger gates and more space at the docking positions.

Now Frankfurt, one of the largest European hubs, is going to built a new Terminal 3 with 75 aircraft stands as well as new maintenance facilities that are explicitely dedicated to the A380 ...

http://www.fraport.com/cms/capacity_growth/rubrik/2/2834.new_terminal_3_and_a380.htm

Xeque
2nd Oct 2004, 17:20
Well said 16 Blades. Methinks 747focal has more than just a passing interest. Could it be he lives near Seattle?

Airbus is currently beating the pants off Boeing because they are producing aircraft that the airlines want - not what Boeing think the airlines should have.

Of course Airbus have factored in all the information. Do you honestly think they would press on with production if (a) the runways couldn't take the weight, (b) the airports couldn't handle the extra pax, (c) there were insufficient MDA's available to take the aircraft if it got into trouble?

Come on. Boeing. You've had a good run at it. Stop bitching. Now there is real competition and you find yourselves well behind the curve. Fight back with a better aircraft - and that isn't going to be the Dreamliner.

747FOCAL
4th Oct 2004, 17:08
Xeque,

Maybe you should ask the guys closer to home why they pushed off their orders for 2 years. I'll give you a hint. Air France and Virgin are both taking their A380 orders 2 years later than originally asked for because of the limited places you can fly them to.......oh and also because she is a fat lady right now and Airbus is fastly applying the ATKINS diet to her in hopes of sending her down the isle in a wedding dress that fits. :E

Phileas Fogg
5th Oct 2004, 12:19
Nothing like a transatlantic feud!

Since when was the A380 to compete with the 747, the A340 is already handling that one quite nicely, as is the A320 vs 737.

Have to hand it to Airbus, that'll be 2 A/C they build with more than 2 engines, how many such beasts do Boeing manufacture?

Concorde's success, I believe, was due to it's limited numbers, had every Tom, Dick & Septic had them then it would have failed.

Of course, to operate such an A/C takes money, something which Panam didn't have!

747FOCAL
5th Oct 2004, 13:14
Smart people don't use 4 engines when they build aircraft. The 777 and A330 are living proof of that.

A340 competing with the 747? Are you daft? :confused:

eal401
5th Oct 2004, 13:34
Smart people don't use 4 engines when they build aircraft.
That comment is either ironic or stupid, I can't decide!!

747FOCAL
5th Oct 2004, 13:42
Well I suppose I could have said it better, but I think most airline bean counters will agree. A 4 engine aircraft will never cost you less than the same opertion of a 2 engine aircraft.

Safetywise, I undertand the advantages of 4 vs 2, but realistically out of all the millions of flights how many have had multiple inflight failures? Percentage wise you would be more likely to win the lottery in six different countries on the same day and then repeat it again the next.. :p

Phileas Fogg
5th Oct 2004, 15:42
Smart people don't use 4 engines when they build aircraft.

What would bean counters know about aviation and what excuse have Boeing got for the 747 never mind the B52!

No, not daft, realistic.

Quote:

The 15,740km (8500nm) ultra long range A340-500 and stretched 372 seat A340-600 are new variants of the Airbus A340 family, and are currently the world's longest range airliners.

Compared with the A340-300, the A340-600 features a 9.07m (35ft 1in) stretch (5.87m/19ft 3in ahead of the wing and 3.20m/10ft 6in behind), allowing it to seat 372 passengers in a typical three class arrangement. This gives Airbus a true early model 747 replacement and near direct competitor to the 747-400, with similar range, but, Airbus claims, better operating economics (per seat).

747FOCAL
5th Oct 2004, 17:46
The 747 was designed when we had little to no history on jet engines in commercial service. Hence the designers designed them to the mathmatical probability of 10 to the -9th criteria and came up with 4 engines as having little to no chance of losing all 4 in the same trip. Now we have tons of data on engine reliability and have much improved reliability. Hence the 2 engine long range aircraft emerge.

the A340 family fails the test when it comes to productivity. Here are the test criteria:

TEST
PAYLOAD: How much can you carry?
RANGE: How far can you carry it?
BLOCK SPEED: How fast can you get it there?
OPERATIONAL FLEXIBILITY: What airports can you get it into and out of?
COST: What are the effects on direct and indirect operating costs?
STYLE: is it esthetically pleasing to the customer?

The A340 fails at its ultra long range capability by leaving a ton of PAX or cargo behind. Just ask Singapore about that one. I believe they still get a check from Talouse each month to cover the 80 plus PAX they have to leave behind each flight to get the 118 it can carry the full 15 hours.

At least 747 Classics can carry their design max weight the entire design flight endurance. And get it there a lot faster.

Better economics per passenger seat? they must mean the meal and drinks they don't have to feed the passengers they left behind..........:E

speedbird_heavy
5th Oct 2004, 20:04
But which one was concieved as a cargo aircraft (but failed) and there for had the capability to carry large loads??? In my opinion Boeing have lost out to Airbus on this one.

Phileas Fogg
5th Oct 2004, 20:09
(The 747 was designed when we had little to no history on jet engines in commercial service)

And ..... the B747-400, weren't B767 & A310 ER's in existence by then?

(Smart people don't use 4 engines when they build aircraft)

So what about the BAe146, the DHC7, many militaries etc. I guess only Douglas built good airliners, ones with less than 4 engines that is (post DC8 era), but then some tin-can manufacturer put them out of existence!

Vampy
5th Oct 2004, 21:24
Just to add my tuppence's worth. If Boeing aircraft are so superior to Airbus (in general of course!), then why have Airbus now started out-performing Boeing in terms of airframe sales for the last x number of months? 747FOCAL mentioned bean counters etc. Surely the 'bean counters' wouldn't authorise buying the equipment if they thought they could make more money out of a different aeroplane?

Thunderball 2
5th Oct 2004, 21:52
"The 747 was designed when we had little to no history on jet engines in commercial service. Hence the designers designed them to the mathmatical probability of 10 to the -9th criteria and came up with 4 engines as having little to no chance of losing all 4 in the same trip. Now we have tons of data on engine reliability and have much improved reliability. Hence the 2 engine long range aircraft emerge."

Sorry, 747FOCAL, and far be it for me to challenge you on a subject so squarely in your back yard, but this statement just doesn't remotely correspond to my recollection of the B747 design evolution process.

Firstly, I think the guys who worked on JT4s or JT3s or Avons or Conways for years before the CX then B747 programme would take issue with the "little or no history" bit, not to mention the enormous significance of B47/B52 experience. Secondly, when Boeing wanted to build people a great big plane in the mid 60's to carry twice the B707 payload it HAD to be four engines, because Pratt's could barely exceed 40,000 lbs of thrust with the first JT9D. Don't you remember what an incredible achievement that thrust level was at the time? The payload/range goals and attainable thrust levels were the first-order determinants of the number of engines, not the reliability.

Phileas Fogg
5th Oct 2004, 22:35
Now, now, stop upsetting our trans-atlantic friends.

Oh, by the way, who was it that presented them with the jet engine, and indeed the VSTOL aircraft, in the first place?

747FOCAL
5th Oct 2004, 23:01
Thunderball 2 is correct. I forgot to mention that to satisfy engine out criteria the Classic 747s had to have 4 engines as is the same with the 747-400. I have seen the concept models of the 747-400 with 2 engines and you end up with gear almost twice as long as the 777 because of the engine DIA requirements. And thats a lot of what it comes down to now that we have the reliability that we have. Gear is very heavy, sometimes it is cheaper to have 4 engines and shorter gear, but that is only when the engine tear down cost is less than gear maintenance metrics.

The reason the 747-400 and the 747 Advanced(if it ever gets off paper) will have 4 engines is because the cost of designing a new wing to be efficient with 2 engines, plus the gear requirement is way more than the B will be willing to spend.

Plus I think a lot of 747 guys cruise well knowing there is 4 out there instead of two. They already proved what they thought was impossible by having multiple instances of dual flameout.

:)

Pontious
6th Oct 2004, 04:00
747FOCAL

I'm not feuding with you but how much fuel does a 772 or 773 burn an hour with max payload? It's an honest question and if you are unable to answer it then it is open to anyone who can.

I believe SQ got rid of their A343's because they didn't have any routes suitable for it. The A345 is a differant animal and will carry a full payload for 14 hours+ at a MTOW of around 372 tonnes which is more than a Classic 747.

bizflyer
6th Oct 2004, 10:07
Whatever side of the argument you come down on, I'm sure all will accept that it's hard not to be impressed by the scale of this thing, what on earth would a stretched version look like?

Click Here (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=684291&WxsIERv=QWlyYnVzIEEzODAtODAw&WdsYXMg=QWlyYnVzIEluZHVzdHJpZQ%3D%3D&QtODMg=VG91bG91c2UgLSBCbGFnbmFjIChUTFMgLyBMRkJPKQ%3D%3D&ERDLTkt=RnJhbmNl&ktODMp=T2N0b2JlciA2LCAyMDA0&BP=0&WNEb25u=RnJlbmNoIEZyb2dzIEFpclNsaWRlcw%3D%3D&xsIERvdWdsY=Ri1XV0RE&MgTUQtODMgKE=VmVyeSBlYXJseSB0aGlzIG1vcm5pbmcsIFRvdWxvdXNlIHd ha2VzIHVwLiBJIGFtIHN1cnByaXNlZCB0byBzZWUgdGhlIGJpZ2dlc3QgcGx hbmUgb2YgdGhlIHdvcmxkIGZpbmFsbHkgaW4gaGlzIHRvdGFsaXR5LiBFbmp veSBHdXlzICEhIQ%3D%3D&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=MTI1Nw%3D%3D&NEb25uZWxs=MjAwNC0xMC0wNg%3D%3D&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=MDA0&static=yes&size=L)

panda-k-bear
6th Oct 2004, 10:56
Wouldn't it be great if it was all so black and white.

A couple of points - ETOPS - Extended Range TWIN-engined Operations. The A380 is a quad. therefore is exempt from TWIN rules. Let's drop the ETOPS rubbish now - it doesn't apply to a quad. That means the A380 can divert wherever the hell it likes - not directly to the nearest ETOPS airport.

Second - consider this. A twin has to be able to take off using one engine. That means each engine is overpowered for normal operations by at least a factor of 2. What impact does that have on (a) fuel burn and (b) maintenance costs? A quad has to get up on 3 engines, so has a much smaller level of required exceedance for each engine. There is, of course, a penalty in fuel burn and maintenance cost. What's better - 2 massive engines or 4 smaller ones?

So Focal, you reckon that anyone operating a quad is an idiot as well, then, do you? Twins have their place, as do quads - let's just face it. Want to be free of ETOPS constraints? A quad is your only option.

Personally I'm happy to trudge the Northe Atlantic in a twin. Am I as happy to go over the Pole? No I am not!

747FOCAL
6th Oct 2004, 12:47
panda-k-bear,

I guess you don't read the USA NPRMs then? ETOPS is going to be extended to 3 and 4 engine aircraft most likely unless I missed something. I was not saying that current ETOPS affect the A380, I was saying what an A380 does may or may not affect a large majority of whomever else is flying the route that must use a certain remote airport.

Depending on the situation, the A380 pilot will choose a very close airport if there is a serious problem and not have much choice depending on where he is. If the problem is not that bad, he may be able to choose an airport that won't affect very many operators.

Pontious - Singapore has been in the news even around here for being furious that they have to leave 80+ PAX behind to make the 15 hour journey. I bet the A345 will make the 15 hour journey at 372k, but when a large chunk of that is gas and not passengers the profit metric gets jacked. The 777 will carry full passenger load all the way to its max range.

I can get the fuel burn stuff if it really matters but I don't see the significants. It all comes down to operating cost and that is what I meant when I said anybody who designs a completely new aircraft with more than two engines is not helping airlines operte efficiently. Hence the idiot comment. Something the size of the A380 would probably need engines so big if it were a twin that maybe it is better in the end to have 4. I guess we will find out.

Its certainly going to save on maintenance of the thrust reversers since it only has two.................:E

Well I guess until one has an inboard engine out and now you can't use either reverser and end up in the gas station at the end of the airfield. :}

panda-k-bear
6th Oct 2004, 13:35
Oh come now - I'm sure you're aware that the landing performance must be demonstrated without the use of reversers. If they end up in the gas station then it is the responsibility of the person who allowed the aiorcraft to be operated to a strip it can't get in to.

As regards to NTRMs, LROPS isn't quite the same as ETOPS - and as it won't effect the non-N registered aircraft (of which I assume there won't be many), then who on earth cares? I have to admit I'm not up to date on the NTRMs because they don't affect me, so I bow to your superior knowledge. And before we go there, no, the rest of the world does not apply FAA regs as a matter of course - who else allows 217 mins ETOPS?

Pontious
6th Oct 2004, 13:45
747 FOCAL

As I do not know the variant of the A340 that was involved in the SQ embarassment then I cannot possibly comment, however I am waiting for an answer to my original, non-confrontational, enquiry about the fuel burns of the B772 & B773.

I believe the A340 family were conceived to serve 'Long Thin' almost 'Pioneer' routes. Apparently VS put an A340 on a new route and as trade improves and demand for capacity increases they put a B744 on the route. Switching back to the A340 as needed. Many operators plummed for the A340 because the only available aircraft at the time for some of their routes was their B747's and they were haemorraging money when loads were light.

My employer operates the B772, B773, A332, A343, A345 and from 2006/7, the A380 and places the optimum aircraft for a particular route as best it can and does a pretty bloody good job at it too. For example a B773(Non-'ER') cannot go from DXB to JFK or SYD non-stop with a full load. The A345 does it easily. However the A340 cannot carry as much freight as a B777 on prime routes such as LHR, SIN or BOM. A full A332 can make money on a route that a 50% full B772/B773 would lose money on. Differant aeroplanes for differant needs.

Now when the B773ER's come on line then they probably could do JFK and SYD, freeing up the A345's for developing new routes. But on a dark and dirty night over the Polar Ice Cap, Siberia or the Himilayas in a Northern Hemisphere winter and you lost an engine would you rather be down to 1 engine 'Turning an Burning' or 3 engines 'Purring'. That's the difference between a 'LAND ASAP' and a 'CONTINUE'.

In essence all Airbus have done is take Boeings' Engineering marvels and given them flexibility to meet the needs of todays' 'BeanCounters' in the case of the A340 family and 1 step further in the case of the A380. I'm sure back in the late 60's while one side is saying 'It's too big! It'll never work' the other team were saying 'It will revolutionise air travel for the masses!' while both contemplated the arrival of the 1st B747. History repeats itself occasionally.

A colleague has answered my question for me. The fuel burns for the B772 & B773 are 7 & 8 tonnes/hour respectively, exactly the same as the A343 and A345 respectively so an operator has the flexibility to make direct, flexible tracks and does not need to comply with ETOPS constraints.

The A380 will, quite literally be ground breaking. It does make me wonder why the US chose to implement these NPRM's just as the A380 was emerging on to the world... Funny old thing... did somebody mention Concorde and 'new US noise level enforcements'.... I hope that history only does repeat itself....occasionally.

:ok:

Phileas Fogg
6th Oct 2004, 14:50
(So Focal, you reckon that anyone operating a quad is an idiot as well, then, do you? Twins have their place, as do quads - let's just face it. Want to be free of ETOPS constraints? A quad is your only option.)

There was nothing wrong with the DC10/MD11 Tri-Jet, perhaps one of the finest commercial aeroplanes ever built, but then a decision was taken to cease it's production so as not to compete with Boeing's twins.

It would seem the customers were not given a choice, you take a twin or nothing, after all, only idiots manufacture aeroplanes with more than 2 engines!

747FOCAL
6th Oct 2004, 15:09
You guys are getting me all wrong here. I am not bashing.

I am well aware of what the cert requirements are for landing performance. wet runway, no reversers, brakes only. What I a was getting at is that a lot of pilots would rather have use of their reverses than not, especially when the aircraft is broken for some reason.

Aircraft that want to fly to the USA must abide by FAA regulations, i.e. FAA ETOPS contraints. If they make it rule, all 3 and 4 engine aircraft that operate here will have to meet the rule. Lots of expensive, basically useless equipement but have to have it regardless.

And for the last time I am sorry I used the word idiot. I thought I explained that already. Or do you guys read? :E

panda-k-bear
6th Oct 2004, 15:32
The equipment, perhaps. The procedure, no. If a D registered, or F registered, or G registered or VH registered airline flies a quad from Europe to the U.S. or from Australia to the U.S. then they abide by the country of registration's rule - that means that they divert as and when - and where - they wish, not into the nearest alternate as may be mandated by the FAA for N registered aircraft. The captain may elect to do so, but he is not forced to. As I said before, not everyone's regs are governed by the FAA. There's a small grouping on the other side of the Atlantic as well (what are they called this week? Still EASA?) who have their own rules.

Phileas - a good point well made. Tri-jets fit here as well. I wouldn't go so far as to call the MD-11 "finest" though. DC-10 perhaps of its generation. But the MD-11 not.

747FOCAL
6th Oct 2004, 16:44
Hmmm, I was under the impression that if you were going to fly into US soil you had to meet FAA requirements. After all, isn't that what killed the concorde with noise?

Phileas Fogg
6th Oct 2004, 17:29
You try bringing one on your N registered B727's or B737-200's into many a European airport and they'll refuse you landing permission, but ..... they don't care where you divert do, you just ain't putting that noisy beast down on our piece of tarmac thank you very much!

747FOCAL
6th Oct 2004, 18:09
Hmmm. There is one set of 727s that have no troubles like that. :E Can you guess which ones?

Hmmm, now that I think about it...... I thought when you guys squashed the hushkit ban the legislation said that N registered Stage 3 aircraft can operate indefinitly within the EU???

Phileas Fogg
6th Oct 2004, 19:16
So all stage 2 aircraft in USA are hushkitted to stage 3?

I clearly and subsequently stated 'noisy', given a choice between hushkitted and non-hushkitted even a 5 year old child would be able to identify to which of these I was referring.

However, you have clearly chosen to nit-pick rather than admit your ignorance, noise legislation and ETOPS diversion policies have about as much in common with each other as you and I.

747FOCAL
6th Oct 2004, 19:41
Since December 31, 1999 all US aircraft are Stage 3 compliant or on the ground. There are waivers for maintenance and non revenue, but highly restricted.

But then you have to go and be a ****** and get antagonistic. All I said was that I THOUGHT all aircraft entering the USA had to follow FAA guidlines just like N registered have to follow the laws of other countries.

At least admit your ignorance, because you obvioulsy know little of either catagory. :p :\ :mad:

Phileas Fogg
6th Oct 2004, 20:06
I was not being antagonistic, you came up with a cocky reply and you know it.

I know of many N registered geriatric jets flying around without hushkits, perhaps they don't fly in USA but they are N registered.

Another example, your FAR flight & crew duty regulations. Wherever a G, VH, D, PH or F registered aircraft may fly in the world the crew operate to their own country's duty regulations.

FAR's have one set of regulations for flying within US airspace and hey, let's ignore those regulations if we're flying in someone elses airspace. Despite this, other countries do not dictate N registered crews work to that country's regulations.

Only the USA has such regulations that are only applicable within their own airspace, if you don't believe my ignorance then take a look in Jeppesens.

747FOCAL
6th Oct 2004, 20:13
Then I just learned something. For some reason I ignorantly assumed that all regulatory bodies had resciprocity with each other. :E

N registry alone does not require compliance with the latest amendmet of FAR 36. In fact even an N registered aircraft that only flys between Hawaii and South America would only need Stage 2.

panda-k-bear
7th Oct 2004, 07:33
FOCAL,

Sorry, not trying to be antagonistic. The truth is that a "foreign" registered aircraft outside of U.S. airspace doesn't have to obey FARs even if it is operating to or from the U.S. Thus an aircraft operating from, say, Germany to the U.S. will have to have the FAA mandated equipment on board (else it couldn't be dispatched from the U.S.), but will not have to follow FARs regarding diversion until or unless it is in U.S. airspace - it follows the LBAs regulations (to complicate matters they may not be the same as the EASAs regulations... there may be requirements on top).

Thus regardless of whether or not the aircraft is a twin or a quad (or a tri), it has a D registration and will divert according to German rules, not FAA ones. That means that for a quad, it will divert where it likes according to the situation. For a twin, it will be the nearest alternate. By the time it gets to U.S. airspace, it won't be in the ETOIPS portion of flight anyway, so the whole thing becomes academic.

Pontious
7th Oct 2004, 23:24
He's gone, Boys. What else can we wind them up about?

747FOCAL
8th Oct 2004, 00:33
Gone where? If your talking about me you are mistaken. :p

BOAC
8th Oct 2004, 08:38
Hey folks! If this thread does not get back PRETTY RAPIDLY to discussing issues SPECIFIC to the 380 then all but a few posts will remain here while the rest go to a new thread entitled 'B v A again' or 'US v Europe again' - on Jet Blast:(

Pontious
8th Oct 2004, 09:11
Sorry BOAC.

Does anybody know why the initial production model is called the A380-'800'?

Does Airbus plan to stretch the fuselage in later variants, in other words is the launch model the 'B747SP' of the A380 family?

Any truth to the rumours that Airbus are planning a 'Combi' variant with Pax on the top deck and freight below?

:ok:

Low-Pass
8th Oct 2004, 10:16
Errr.... BOAC, here is the original post...

Considering that the Americans scuppered Concorde as a commercial success by restrictive practices in the USA and used their influence in South America to achieve the same ends, do you think they will use the same tactics against the A380??

So, in response to the original post... I remember seeing the article in Flight regarding the NPRM to apply ETOPS to four engine aircraft. However, it also mentioned that this would probably apply only to NEW aircraft. Older aircraft would have "Grandfather rights". In other words, current aircraft (including B747, A340, DC10, etc.) would be able to operate according to the way that they always have, i.e. non-ETOPS. Now, if engines are more reliable (as 747Focal points out by commenting that you don't need four engines when two are safe enough) why include a statisticly safer aircraft in ETOPS?

Considering that Boeing doesn't have any four engined aircraft in the pipeline, it appears to be protectionist, favouring a US company over an outsider. Therefore my answer to the question posed in the original post is "Yes, it appears to be happening already".

Cheers,

LP

Paul Wilson
8th Oct 2004, 10:39
Pontious,
My understanding is that the -800 designation is Airbus saying

"This is a fully developed aircraft, there will be no stretches, so buy now don't wait for the "better" version to come along, because there will not be one"

Whilst of course leaving open the possibility of the A380-900:hmm:

eal401
8th Oct 2004, 11:01
BOAC, I think just deleting them would be far more beneficial than foisting them onto JB.

:)

BOAC
8th Oct 2004, 11:08
L- P yes, despite my advancing years I still have a fully functioning mouse:D

It is just that there are some posts where my advancing age/deteriorating eyesight makes it hard to see the letters 'A380'.

EAL - it was a passing thought, but I thought better of it. It remains an option, of course. I'm sure yet another transatlantic bashing match would go down a storm on JB, though :{

keel beam
8th Oct 2004, 12:25
ETOPs - Many airlines are starting to use ETOPs philosophy on 3, 4 engined aircraft. ie: a technician cannot service all engines eg: oil replenishment, change MCDs, fuel filters etc. etc. As for regulations, FAR, EASA and others on ETOPs diversion - I'll leave that to those who are up to speed on it.

The A380 just doesn't look right, large wing span, short fuselage (though I suppose it gives room for extending it using the same wings) There is a saying "If it looks right, it s right".

Why is it that a thread starts out with good intent that it usually ends in a mud slinging match - value others' opinions even if vastly different from your own.

As for preference for Airbus or Boeing - surely the airline bean counters work out which aircraft gives good value for money in Ops, maintenance and financial deals before deciding which one to buy? (Not because it is American or European) and hopefully not because governments apply pressure to buy home grown products!!

Phew glad that is off my chest;)

panda-k-bear
8th Oct 2004, 16:09
Why the -800?

A friend who works for Airbus in the U.K. tells me there are 3 schools of thought.
1) 800 signal maturity
2) Asia sees number 8 as lucky
3) Figure 8 looks like A380 fuselage cross section

Which is true? I suppose we'll never know.

GearDown&Locked
8th Oct 2004, 16:58
Once upon a time, there were these two kids that enjoyed playing together. One was called EU and the other was called US. For a long time EU had played with US toys, both at his house and US’s place. And they seemed to get along quite well.
One day EU’s father offered him some new toys, and EU was happy to have his own set of toys. The kids started to talk about their toys, “mine is much cooler than yours” and such, but they still played with each other nicely.
The day the father of EU brought home a brand new toy, the biggest they both have ever seen, US complained to his father about not having such a toy. US father told him that he had no money to buy new toys, so he had to play with the old toys he had.
US did not gave up in trying to level things up a bit, so he asked his father to talk to EU’s father about how unfair it was for one of the kids having a bigger toy than the other and the effects of that situation in both homes, which US father did. As you might expected EU father just laughed and told father US not to interfere with the kids playing, they would be just fine.
Finally when EU was preparing to bring his new toy over US’s house to play he managed to arrange a new set of playing rules: “In order to bring your toy in here make sure it is well cleaned, it doesn’t make too much noise in order not to wake up US father, and its not too big , because it could damage the house furniture while playing”.

Kids :E

USA_flyer
9th Oct 2004, 14:12
In reply to the original question I don't believe they will. US gateway airports are in competition with each other to provide the feeder services in and out of smaller airports. The revenue from a plane load of A380 pax vs B747 is going to be greater and I would think higher landing fees will be charged.

I would also suggest there will be some prestige to be had from having A380s at your airport or in your fleet so eventually, the US majors will return to financial health I can see one or two of them making purchases especially those airlines with extensive Airbus fleets at the moment.

1DC
12th Oct 2004, 09:39
USA-Flyer

Nice to get a response to the original question so far into the thread, it has all been interesting reading though.

I personally think that dedicated A380 ground facilities will be few and far between for the first few years, but we will see.

Phileas Fogg
12th Oct 2004, 13:24
In response to the original question, who's to presume the Americans will have such a big say in the future of commercial aviation advancement.
One shouldn't compare the A380 to Concorde, Concorde was a medium-haul airliner and it's true niche was the transatlantic market, it wasn't any good for flying longer-haul nor over land masses.
The A380 is a different kind of airliner and very suitable for Europe to Asia & Australasia etc. If the USA, for one reason or another, don't want to provide the appropriate ground facilities then I'm sure such airports as SYD, HKG, SIN, KUL, BKK will be only too willing and the USA may find itself being left in the dark ages.
Sure, in the 60's, 70's, 80's etc. USA might have led the airline world with Boeing, McD and to a lesser degree Lockheed but things have moved on. It's more or less Boeing vs Airbus these days, who will win, well only time will tell!