PDA

View Full Version : Emerald (Merged)

GMIMA
3rd Sep 2004, 22:08
Ive followed with interest the previous posts about emerald on here over the months.

I know a few Emerald employee's who are happy in there job, but every airline you will find that there are good and bad things.

The thing I dont understand, theres so many company staff on here - it would seem that are unhappy with things,

some sound advice, if you are not happy, then why dont you leave? and move over and give people like me a chance?

Now for something POSITIVE about EMERALD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I flew with the company to LPL from IOM a few weeks ago, what a great low cost service, great friendly staff and was on time unlike EURO DUTCH oops, i mean euro manx.

The company needs to market itself alot more and it will be a great success.

For a successful airline, it must have its support of its staff 100%, without this it will fail.

So, come on guys, lets stop slagging the airline off!!!!

G-MIMA

Germstone
4th Sep 2004, 00:41
I flew with the company to LPL from IOM a few weeks ago, what a great low cost service, great friendly staff and was on time unlike EURO DUTCH oops, i mean euro manx.

yes all you need for a succesfull airline are some shiny GTI 748's and some smiling FA's...........right

all the gloss but still dross underneath!!!

no one is slagging the airline itself or 90% of the people working for it

just the few mangement idiots that manage the company into mediocrity

Say again s l o w l y
4th Sep 2004, 09:43
The product we manage to deliver is not under doubt. All the CC and flight deck monkeys do an excellent job.

GMIMA, the whole reason that airlines get away with treating people like c*ap is that at the moment there are lots of people around like yourself who will put up with it, just for the "priviledge" of an airline job. As long there is a high turnover of staff, then nothing will ever get fixed.

HighandTight
4th Sep 2004, 10:56
Quite right. GMIMA - you are the sort of person we can do without. One that thinks he knows better than those who actually work for the company.

If you knew anything about aviation you would know that we cannot just 'leave'. It's not a case of phoning up and booking your next job on something shinier.

There are too many fools around who will work for nothing or allow themselves to be treated like dirt or undermine their colleagues, that make it so much harder for the rest of us to improve things.

Go away and learn something then come back when you know what you are talking about:yuk:

GMIMA
4th Sep 2004, 16:27
HIGH AND TIGHT

IVE WORKED IN THE AVIATION INDUSTRY FOR MANY YEARS, FROM FLIGHT OPS, DISPATCHING, AND CABIN CREW, SO I DO KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!

I NEVER SAID I KNOW BEST, BUT ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU IM SURE EMERALD CAN DO WITH OUT!

YOU KNOW WHERE THE DOOR IS! SO OPEN IT, AND CLOSE IT FIRMLY BEHIND YOU WHEN YOU LEAVE.

REGARDS

G-MIMA

Germstone
4th Sep 2004, 17:06
MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY .....golf mike alfa going down in flames

im sure you are experienced in all things aviation mima

but it would appear your quite happy to ignore the plight of your fellow staff.

MOB would be very proud of you your just the type of staff he is looking for

happy to be paid some of the lowest rates in the industry

happy to be endure poor working conditions and practices

happy with your head buired in the sand

wake up and check your surroundings and the management you work for.

they leave a lot to be desired and they will not try to fix things whilst they have complacent staff such as yourself.

Say again s l o w l y
4th Sep 2004, 17:47
Oh dear Jemima. No need to SHOUT........

For your info, I actually really quite enjoy the day to day work at Emerald, it's the constant bu**ering about that annoys me and I'll think you'll find the same amongst most of the crews.

If I'm the sort of person Emerald can do without, then that's 90% of the workforce gone then. Maybe you've got a chance then.......

redsnail
4th Sep 2004, 20:25
Jemima,
I suggest you actually walk a mile in the pilot's shoes before slagging them off. What they speak of is the truth. A ride in the back isn't the same as slogging night in and out over winter freezing your proverbials off wondering where the taxi is and have they booked your hotel room.

I enjoyed the flying and the crew, I didn't like the phone calls when I was trying to sleep or the lack of information....

Fellas, relax, GMIMA's after a Jet Job (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143526)

jeremy
4th Sep 2004, 21:57
The only people that are happy working for the airline are the "FAT CATS" at the top.

Say again s l o w l y
4th Sep 2004, 22:09
Reddo, aren't we all!!

dada
26th Sep 2004, 20:12
dont know about gmima, more like g-mugg.

Germstone
27th Sep 2004, 20:48
or maybe even

G-MOB

this guy comes across as a definate candidate for im MOB and g-mima is my username

IS IT YOU MICK...??

we_never_change
28th Sep 2004, 18:54
Recently noted a RAF Avia Antonov 26 operating for Emerald, getting ready for the pre-xmas rush already or haven't they enough crews/aircraft?

WNC

MJR
30th Sep 2004, 09:07
Silly question, but what has happened to the Emerald website.

Not so silly question, how many pilots were taken on after the recent recruitment drive.

cheers

MJR

jafo33
1st Oct 2004, 00:55
Thats right - we haven't got enough crews, aircraft, spares, engineers, ops staff, hours in the day, or a pot to pass water in!!

Germstone
4th Oct 2004, 20:43
we haven't got enough crews, aircraft, spares, engineers, ops staff, hours in the day, or a pot to pass water in!!

To say all departments are spread thinly would be the understatement of the year.

Good thing is if we havnt got enough staff MOB will just work what staff he has got a lot harder and make them do more hours.

which of course makes us more efficient............doesnt it???

coopervane
4th Oct 2004, 22:08
Any truth in the rumour that Emerald are setting up their own line station at Ronaldsway?

Coop & Bear

GMIMA
5th Oct 2004, 20:26
germstone

omg, you have uncoved my true identity LOL, as if?

Captain I. Jones
6th Oct 2004, 10:15
What's going on with this ridiculous merry go round a certain Luton based F/O is being made to ride on in order to get his command training done? Why can't some one just make a proper and final decision, YES or NO, and leave it at that?
I think this a typical example of the crap the management of this company serve to their employees every day. If I was in your shoes mate, I'd leave!

74Freight
7th Oct 2004, 16:28
The new website is
www.flyjem.com

The old one was www.emerald-airways.org

The org ( if my computer knowledge is correct) denotes a non-profit, charitable organisation, not sure if that describes emerald.

Capt I Jones, sorry seem to be a bit off topic, please say what is going on with the Luton F/Os command training (or lack of it)

Germstone
7th Oct 2004, 20:07
Any truth in the rumour that Emerald are setting up their own line station at Ronaldsway?

they already do with one engineer based there

Bottom Feeder
8th Oct 2004, 11:35
Is this the poor guy who did a couple of days of command training, then came up to MOB central for a tech refresher course on the shed, only to be told that he now didn't have enough hours to go in the left hand seat?

If so he's a strange character but still it's no way to treat someone.

A wild shot in the dark...but I'd guess no-one asked for the almighty MOB's approval before upgrading this guy to the lefthand seat. So therefore he's reversed the decision thus making the flight ops director/Shorts fleet manager etc, look like idiots. I hear the MOB likes to be consulted on everything, hence the recent delay in changing the lightbulb in the CVT toilet.

Either that or the guy wasn't up to the task, however flying a shed isn't exactly rocket science.

Say again s l o w l y
8th Oct 2004, 13:38
BF, a bit insulting don't you think.
The F/O in question has been treated apallingly, I think this is the 3rd time he's been pulled off his upgrade training. The chap is not a "strange character", but a competent pilot who deserves a command. God knows we need a few more captains at the moment, especially those that know the routes and peculiarities of Emerald Operations. Those coming from elsewhere seem to last approximately 2 weeks on-line and then realise what a shower of s**t (copyright Dada) it is before disappearing again.

I would have thought, that the basing and upgrading of crews is down to the fleet managers and flight ops people, NOT a non-flying CEO. (What an idiotic title, where are we Dallas?) But as per-usual, the teddies get chucked out of the pram since highly competent people have dared to make a decision that the MOBster hasn't come up with himself.
If I was GG or RM, I'd be spitting chips........ (Over to you gentlemen.)

Bottom Feeder
8th Oct 2004, 15:04
Say again.. I didn't say he wasn't a competent pilot, and he's certainly deserves his command, he's been there long enough. But that doesn't stop him being a strange character, which IMHO he is. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it, because as you say it is an appalling way to treat someone, strange or not.

I agree that 'the basing and upgrading of crews should be down to the fleet managers and flight ops people, NOT a non-flying CEO' ..... however that doesn't seem to be the case.
Just ask the captain who finally got rebased back in LTN close to where he lives after waiting god knows how long in CVT, only to have the MOB reverse the decision 2 months later because he hadn't approved it.

God knows how that makes RM feel, but MOB has always done this, he treats his managers like S**t, undermines their authority, makes them feel like powerless idiots, until they have enough and leave. This is the way MOB stays in control.

Say again s l o w l y
8th Oct 2004, 15:28
To be honest we've all got to be a bit odd to keep on working at Emerald in the first place!

Unfortunately, your comment on MOB's "management" technique (I use the term exceedingly loosely) seem to be spot on.

How many have seen the latest e-mail on deep night duties and hire car useage? Or is this not the placed
to discuss such things, BALPA forum maybe?

HighandTight
8th Oct 2004, 18:40
Quite agree.

The BALPA/Emerald forum is now open.

Not wanting to stop us all using Pprune, but this is a resource for all the Balpa members at Emerald, (MOB, thats most of us!).

Please use it to find out the latest with regard to recognition and recent illegal rosters etc.

Its just like Pprune, but in confidence and only available to Balpa members!

straightnotlevel
16th Oct 2004, 12:01
how do i get to the balpa/emerald forum??

Yorky Towers
16th Oct 2004, 23:30
Maybe its time you guys & girls at Emerald ask Danny for your own private forum!!

Impressive_Wingspan
17th Oct 2004, 10:21
Say Again S l o w l y

Just out of interest what is a "deep night duty" as i cannot seem to find any reference to this term in CAP 371 in any section.

Say again s l o w l y
17th Oct 2004, 17:26
It's a new one on me too! Basically referring to irregular nights with an FDP over 8 hrs long.

It is just how it was described recently in the e-mail I was referring to.

HighandTight
20th Oct 2004, 18:19
Full explanation of all this on the Balpa/Emerald site.

'Straight..', to get on the site you need to be a Balpa member and flight crew at Emerald. Its our way of no longer having to do all this in public!

Still things may be about to change for the better in the next ten days....

Tidders
21st Oct 2004, 16:45
The old website www.emerald-airways.co.uk has been revived. Also www.emerald-airways.com is now pointing to the same pages, giving an option to visit either the original site or flyjem.

straightnotlevel
22nd Oct 2004, 17:05
'highntight' wats gonna happen in the next 10, or now 8 days??? youve got me worried now!

Say again s l o w l y
23rd Oct 2004, 15:04
Not sure, but I bet MOB won't like it!!:D :D

straightnotlevel
23rd Oct 2004, 23:53
6 days left??? gulp

Say again s l o w l y
30th Oct 2004, 13:35
Looks like MOB has tried to ignore BALPA, oh well, down the statutory route we go....

Impressive_Wingspan
31st Oct 2004, 19:30
say again s l o w l y

I have written this before and you didn't respond, but i honestly think you are being very foolish. You have made lots of posts on Pprune making it easy for the CEO of Emerald to identify you, yet you continue to post aggressively. Do you think that will put you at the top of the list for an ATP course, or an excellent reference should you move on?

If you are that unhappy with Emerald take one of the offers you undoubtedly have to fly for another company. From what i have read about the CEO of Emerald if you piss him off you may well have a bit of a problem.

Say again s l o w l y
31st Oct 2004, 21:48
Well, if stating the truth is aggressive, then so be it.

They're not half as aggressive as the way we are treated....

As for wanting to go onto the ATP, you're having a 'larf! Shed pilots have got as much chance of getting on that as George Bush has of winning mastermind!

I think the CEO has more things on his mind at the moment than worrying about whatever comments I may make.

Anyway, why should I jump ship now, hopefully with BALPA on-board things'll improve and I'll be as happy as a pig in pooh. The flying is great and the vast majority of my colleagues are excellent. If I disappear now, it would seem a little like giving up to me. I'm curious to see what will happen. Fingers crossed an improvement, not just in our lives as crew, but also more profit for the company. Since at the moment, the wasteage is ridiculous.

Impressive_Wingspan
31st Oct 2004, 22:21
The thing is Emerald is a stepping stone for you say again, i wouldn't get so worked up about things. Just get the good old CV machine running and move on when you can, and until you do get a better offer why not just keep your head down, much safer!
I'm sure you are aware that operators like Emerald don't have masses of cash, start costing them too much or causing them problems and you may just end up out of a job. Better to be in paid employment and all that.

Say again s l o w l y
31st Oct 2004, 23:43
You are probably right, well in actual fact you are right!
However it is very difficult to stand by and watch a place be destroyed through incompetance and ego-mania.

Is Emerald a stepping stone? for the vast majority of us, yes it is. That doesn't mean that I don't care what happens to the company and especially the people who work for it.

As a note, we weren't short of cash until they bought ATP's! As for costing too much, have you seen our salaries!! The wasteage caused by lack of crews must be getting astronomical, I shudder to think what must have been spent in just the past few weeks on just chasing their tails.

dada
2nd Nov 2004, 20:09
a right shower this lot

EMERALD1
3rd Nov 2004, 06:42
I saw one of the budgies in Hurn on Monday.
Was this a one-off or are we getting some work there?
Feel free to email
Cheers
E1

old fruit
3rd Nov 2004, 17:11
Guys,

I`am very sad to be sat here reading your posts.I worked for emerald back in 96 and it would seem from your posts that nothing has changed.Still not enough crews,bad rostering,poor pay,very bad management.
I would have hoped that after 8 years of expanding things may have got a little better,but sadly not.Strange that MOB still seems to be a common and constant factor in it all;)
G-mima may unwittingly have a point when he says leave,because it would appear things won`t ever get any better,but as someone pointed out its not that easy.
I remember the flying was great,and the crews were a really good bunch of lads,and the boss was a t*sser.
I wish you all the best of luck with your BALPA action,if it comes to that.
For any one trying to leave,there is light at the end of the tunnel,the 748 nightfreight is a superb grounding.I`ve never felt so tired,having to get the last ounce of concentration out to land the plane at BFS in a x-wind with a 200 cloudbase is something you`ll never forget,and something you can draw on in later jobs.
I fly long haul now,and in the dead of night over the Atlantic the ex short haul jet people have problems trying to keep awake,where as we ex night freight pilots (of which there are many) just take it in our stride.
Best of luck to you all

dada
3rd Nov 2004, 22:06
the mob. how good a company could it be if he got the bullet. if only andy j wasn't so selfish (lining his own pockets) together with mob doing the same. he's make a good new hitler that one.
modern management and leadership don't exist at this joint

straightnotlevel
6th Nov 2004, 09:51
i thought things were going to get better??

Phil Brockwell
9th Nov 2004, 14:35
"if only andy j wasn't so selfish (lining his own pockets) "

Is it really conidered selfish to "line your own pockets" after spending decades of hard work creating a profitable company?

Why would anyone set up a company for any reason than to "line your own pockets" or did you think the company was set up to give it's pilots something to moan about?

dada
9th Nov 2004, 20:37
phil brockerlywell

you're quite right, there's nothing wrong with lining your own pockets but not when you make out the company's skint and there ain't no money for payrises, expenses etc. in a small company people accept that money maybe short but when you retrospectively discover he (and any other boss of a company for that matter) has been siphoning money off left right and centre
whilst you've forgone payrises etc it gets your goat a bit. certainly
entrepreneurs deserve reward for risk, and this lot have made it.

dadaposh
10th Nov 2004, 22:46
dada

you do seem to have a vendetta against poor old emerald or mob, you really need to move on and get a life, you are starting to sound like roy cropper off that cobbled street. or maybe just an ex employee? surely there are worse off people than yourself who maybe work for a company who let them down also, look at those guys at one of the leading companies who maybe ploughed money into shares and were burn('t) badly. look on the bright side all you're shift might turn up and give you time to reply.

74Freight
20th Nov 2004, 16:18
looking at the latest rosters, there is a lot of slack (on the shed F/Os especially) in some areas with some having nothing but standby all week and others only one or two flights, the rest made up with standby.
With the loss of STN-MGL route next year & MRS-LBG going on to the ATP soon (plus possibly one of the CI routes) is it time to start worrying ?

Flying Fokker
21st Nov 2004, 17:28
Dont worry too much im sure somebody will need a CVT-CDG at some point during the week so all those standbys wont be wasted ;) :D

jafo33
26th Nov 2004, 16:53
Things always look quiet but never end up that way. As for routes going on to the ATP, well, they have to be completed first!

Until Rombac learn how to cut the hole the same size as the door, that may be a while.

With Xmas coming up, there's bound to be a lot of work - and there are always the ad-hocs.

;)

Flying Fokker
27th Nov 2004, 15:56
Are Skynet requesting any additonal xmas routes this year