PDA

View Full Version : Suitable vs Adequate Aerodrome

Near Miss
30th Sep 2004, 03:56
Can someone please explain to me the difference between a Suitable Aerodrome and an Adequate Aerodrome ?

My understanding is that a SA is that the wx is above the alterante minima, while for an AA the wx is below the alternate minima, but you can still divert there in an emergency. Is this right? :confused:

Ratter
30th Sep 2004, 04:56
Hi.

The definition of a suitable aerodrome is as you correctly put it, where the weather is above alternate minima. An acceptable aerodrome (adequate, whatever you want to call it) is one where the weather conditions are below the alternate minima but above the landing minima.

Effectively you must PLAN to a suitable aerodrome, in the event of an emergency it would be unlikely if you have planned correctly that you would not be able to land at your chosen destination as the weather was still above the landing minima, you simply need to PLAN for the worst case scenario.

Regards

Ratter

piontyendforward
30th Sep 2004, 05:23
an Adequate Aerodrome is an aerodrome that is acceptable for the aircraft type (ie can handle a aircraft of X size e.g. 767), with the an instrument approach, airfield lighting, flight service or higher etc etc

The weather forcast (above alt or ETOPS alt) and servicability of all airport services are required make an Adequate Aerodrome a Suitable Aerodrome for use as an ETOPS alternate.

Cannot make it much more simple than that.

Rules vary between countries, so you need to be specific to the country of registration for exact reference.

Near Miss
30th Sep 2004, 07:49
Thankyou for the replies. I live in Oz and I am studying for a CX interview next month. :\ Have heard that this question has come up before and I have been unable to find a clear definition in CAO (found a bit in 82), CAR or Jep.

Icarus2001
30th Sep 2004, 09:09
Near miss How about CAO 20.7.1 B Page 2, bottom of the page?

Also, assuming you have the blue B727 ATPL manual there is a good definition there of each. However that is not legislation of course nor is it an operational document.

Near Miss
30th Sep 2004, 22:53
Icarus2001, yes I did read CAO 20.7.1B and I did find a definition for SA, but there is none for AA. And I wasn't going to sit all night on the computer searching the CASA web site for it either. It is a pain reading CAO, CAR etc on a laptop. :bored: Thus the post. Why don't I have my own paper copy? Well work has them, but I don't really want to go in when I am on days off.
As for my B727 stuff from my ATPL exam? Well that was quite a few years ago and I wouldn't have a clue where it was now, plus I don't really have time to go downstairs and search dozens of boxes, even though it would help. :(
Thanks for the replies. :ok:

ITCZ
2nd Oct 2004, 18:03
snip

So have you left your interview study too late, are you disorganised, or are you just being a lazy lump? :(

There is a thread elsewhere about the intangible quality we like to call professionalism. One of the things Cathay will probably look for. Professionalism would not exclude courtesy and humility when dealing with your colleagues.

Icarus was being helpful. Your reply was ingracious. From where I sit you owe him an apology.

Near Miss
3rd Oct 2004, 11:00
Now just a sec ITCZ. Before you start, I want to clear a few things up.
I am grateful for the the replies, hence the "Thanks for the replies". Don't see how what I have typed was ingracious towards Icarus. I was informing him that yes, I have read 20.7.1B and explaining why I put up a post. If he thought that my "tone" was otherwise then I do apologize. That is the problem with the typed message. The same words can mean two different things. The same could be said for his first line to me. Some friends actually thought he was being a smart a###.
As for me being lazy or disorganised, well you couldn't be more wrong.
With my work and other commitments, I don't have a lot of spare time to waste going through dozens of boxes to find one book (which I think I lent years ago and no longer have) to answer one question.
I have been looking at this damn laptop for way too many hours in the last couple of weeks, looking up web sites, going over my notes (which BTW I have been gathering for some years now), my eyes are becoming square.
ITCZ, you do not know me, what I do, or what I have going on in my life. I was only trying to save some time by clearing up a difference on what some of us thought an AA was.
You say:There is a thread elsewhere about the intangible quality we like to call professionalism. One of the things Cathay will probably look for. Professionalism would not exclude courtesy and humility when dealing with your colleagues.
Hmmm, couldn't agree more.

PS I did find a great definition for both and thanks to those who helped.

ITCZ
4th Oct 2004, 02:36
Fair enough, Near Miss, apologies for going too hard too fast.

A deep breath and a beer all round.:ok:

Good luck with CX.