PDA

View Full Version : Southern Cross Replica - Status ?

Specnut727
30th Sep 2004, 01:02
I am curious about the current status of the replica. Was it repaired after the incident of about 2 years ago ?

I searched the CASA register and it (VH-USU) is still registered to Southern Cross Replica Association Inc of Parafield, but I haven't been able to find a phone number for them.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Obiwan
30th Sep 2004, 02:18
this is all google could find :(

http://www.sa.liberal.org.au/news/news_item.asp?NewsID=2500

http://www.sa.liberal.org.au/news/news_item.asp?NewsID=2778

Specnut727
30th Sep 2004, 04:49
Thanks Obiwan,

I have resorted to writing a letter to the Southern Cross Replica Association Inc. at the address shown on the CASA Register.

Will be interesting to see if I get a reply.

If someone working at Parafield reads this, can you provide any current info. The association's address is listed as Hangar 59.

Spec

planemad2
30th Sep 2004, 06:04
Isn't it still on display at Brisbane Airport?

Or is that a phony?

Feather #3
30th Sep 2004, 07:41
Try www.hars.org.au for an update.

Broadly, the a/c will be restored in SA under the HARS umbrella by the original construction team.

G'day ;)

Specnut727
30th Sep 2004, 07:56
Thanks for the info Feather. Looks like she's in good hands.

Planemad2, yep, that's Smithy's original on display in BNE. Great memorial to Smithy and Ulm, well worth a look if you're passing through and have a spare hour.

questil
30th Sep 2004, 12:47
saw it in the bruce hartwig hangar at parafield last week it is down the back does not look like anything has been done from the outside the starboard wing is still sheared off at the tip

Fris B. Fairing
2nd Oct 2004, 03:32
In case anyone is thinking of getting a conspiracy theory together, the two aeroplanes have been seen together! I give you "The Old Bus" and "The New Bus":

http://www.adastron.com/aviation/FVIIB3M-AC424.jpg

http://www.adastron.com/aviation/FVIIB3M-AC432.jpg

Both photos were taken at the old Brisbane (Eagle Farm) Airport on 18th November 87 when the original "Southern Cross" was being towed to its display building at the new airport. At this time, both the original and the replica shared something in common with another aeroplane of much later vintage - the Canberra. The replica uses Canberra mainwheel tyres and, for the purposes of the tow, the original was fitted with a pair of Canberra nosewheels to avoid damaging the original wheels and tyres. The tailskid of the original was supported on a wheel which probably owed more to a wheelbarrow than to anything aviation. This accounts for the unusual attitude on the original which is nearer the camera in both views.

Obiwan
4th Oct 2004, 12:20
Fris B
Nice photos

One of the last times the real one flew was for the movie 'Smithy'. Apparently the RAAF guys at Richmond serviced her and found bits of glass from a thermos in the oil reservoir, putting paid to the doubters who didn't believe the story of tranferring oil over the Tasman.

If you like aviation history check the book 'Smithy' by Ian Mackersey.

Fris B. Fairing
4th Oct 2004, 22:31
Obi

Yes I've read the book to which you refer. Unfortunately, I found it to be a relentless put-down of Smithy. To me Smithy is still a genuine hero.

Cheers

Obiwan
5th Oct 2004, 02:11
Yes I've read the book to which you refer. Unfortunately, I found it to be a relentless put-down of Smithy. To me Smithy is still a genuine hero.

Don't have to be an infallible superman to be a hero. After finishing the book I came away with even more respect for Smithy, and for the obstacles he overcame to achieve fame.

ITCZ
5th Oct 2004, 13:24
Fris B, I found Ian Mac's book on Smithy to be intolerant of the puffery that surrounded the great man, but in discarding the hero worship and media hype, uncovered a much more remarkable and courageous Kingsford Smith.

Have another read, it is a very compelling tale, and I think very respectfully told.

For those interested in the 'last' flight of the original Southern Cross, have a read of "Outback Airman" a semi-autobiography of Harry Purvis, one of CKS's inner circle. Love the story about the replacement prop and the predicament Harry found himself in!

Specnut727
12th Oct 2004, 01:31
I think I've answered my own question, but for anyone who is interested......

I heard that Arts South Australia now have responsibility for the replica. I contacted them and was pleasantly surprised to get a reply. They say that they have 'gifted' the replica to HARS, and that ownership should be transferred before the end of 2004.

Spec.

tinpis
12th Oct 2004, 01:51
OT but what happened to Ansetts Fokker Universal?

Specnut727
12th Oct 2004, 04:51
A quick google finds that there's a replica Fokker Universal in the Ansett Transport Museum in Hamilton, Victoria.