PDA

View Full Version : Recreational?

scottmcl
29th Sep 2004, 21:42
I am currently in grade 11 but i was considering getting my recreation licence over the course of the next two years.

How fesiable is this for a Grade 11 student? I have about $2200.00 if my own money to put forward into this.

My plan is to get a undergrad degree in Business then my pro, and corprate. Seems so far for me now,b ut just thinking of the future.

(Where the nice Wheathers at ;))

FlyingForFun
30th Sep 2004, 19:58
Scott,

I can't speak for Canada. But since you've gone a whole day without a single reply, I'll tell you the UK situation, because I would imagine Canada isn't all that different.

Over here, you must be 14 years old to start training. Any training you do before your 14th birthday doesn't count towards your license. You must be 16 years old before you can fly solo, and 17 years old before you can actually get a Private Pilots License.

There are plenty of very young people training for their pilots licenses, and they don't generally have any problems. In fact, the opposite is probably true - I would guess that younger people have fewer problems than average, and complete the license in less time.

The only other issue is the money. I don't know how much flying costs in Canada, but I would guess $2200 will not be enough to complete the course. I suggest finding a weekend job! There's no reason not to start flying right now, though, even if you don't have the money - so long as you have a plan to get the rest of the money before the cash you've already got runs out.

Hope that's some help to you. Have you tried posting in the Canada forum? You'll find people in there who will be far more up-to-speed with the Canadian regulations regarding minimum age.

Good luck!

FFF
----------------

scottmcl
1st Oct 2004, 00:57
Going to thnx for the advice!

OneIn60rule
1st Oct 2004, 02:30
Whatever you decide I must tell you two things.

Get your first class medical done before you put much more thought into flying as a trade. A lot of people spend money on ppl and then when they find out they cannot get a class one they get really depressed.

From here on in, eat right, don't ever start smoking and certainly don't get any DUI's. If you manage to do that, all that's left is to know people who know people.

By the way, I don't think you need to cover the entire cost of your training, there will most likely be a way for you to get a loan to compensate for however much money you still need towards it.

Good luck man.

1/60.