PDA

View Full Version : CPL or ATPL Groundschool?

Paul Stott
29th Sep 2004, 18:12
I'm planning on starting the CPL groundschool in a couple of months but have been told to do the ATPLs instead in case my aspirations should change in the future. This does seem sensible.
My worry though is by making something that I shall already find difficult, with work committments, even harder I could be jeopardising my success altogether.
Can anyone tell me how much extra work is involved? Are the ATPLs much more difficult or is it just a case of extra subjects and more time?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

FlyingForFun
29th Sep 2004, 19:47
It is just extra subjects and more time, yes.

What exactly were you planning on doing with your CPL? There are very very few reasons for doing the CPL written exams - the only one which is at all common is if you want to become an instructor, but have no aspirations to do any other form of commercial flying.

Another factor which may influence you is the lack of choice of schools which offer the course for the CPL exams. The ATPL exams are far better catered for, and a bigger selection of schools naturally means you are more likely to find one that suits you.

Good luck!

FFF
-------------

navoff
29th Sep 2004, 20:24
Paul

I started the ATPL exams by mistake with BristolGS. I got half way through module 1 and had a confidence crisis and thought I should only be doing the CPL exams since I only wanted to be a flying instructor. I was talked out of changing and I am now very grateful for sticking with it. I still want to be a flying instructor, but I now have the flexibility to pretty much do as I please or more importantly as the employment market dictates. I can take an IR and I will attend an MCC just to complete the licence. It is certainly more to study but once you are committed to studying then I believe there is little difference. You will certainly find more schools able to help you with an ATPL course.

Good Luck!!

Navoff

Paul Stott
30th Sep 2004, 00:52
Thanks for the advice both of you. ATPL it's gonna have to be. How was Bristolgs? They look like they've got a pretty good package for distance learning.

Topgun 4122T
30th Sep 2004, 01:33
I did my atpl's with bsg , and as far as distant learning goes I found them to be great . Lots of support online and by phone , good feedback and top quality ground instructors for the brush-up course . topgun

navoff
30th Sep 2004, 13:20
Dave

I've just finished with BristolGS and they are without doubt excellent. I could not recommend them enough!